What are your chances? I'll chance you

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Ahh :lol:

I don't know that it's strictly 'not worth it' but it's a long shot. Really polish your apps and apply to the biggest classes in the T10 (CNPMB). I think you have a better chance at T14-20. GL!

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 am

Vronsky wrote:
$peppercorn wrote:I'll give it a shot.

Top 5% at a school in the 55-70 range.

Chances at:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
New York
Penn

This is a good list, and I think you're very strong at Vandy and Duke (any interest at GULC?) and CNP is worth it, too.

I thought about throwing an app at Georgetown since the transfer class is so large. Pretty sure I would not attend even if accepted though. And there is not much of a chance that it could help me increase my scholarship at my current school based on what I've heard from others.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:02 am

Vronsky wrote:

Chances at:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
New York
Penn

This is a good list, and I think you're very strong at Vandy and Duke (any interest at GULC?) and CNP is worth it, too.

I sort-of disagree with Vronsky in the "good list" part.
Vandy - probably IN, but not worth the application to go outside of the T14 (exception: from the Nashville area)
Duke - very small class size, don't apply unless you're from NC
CNP - all good to apply to but might be a long shot to get one. Get your apps in ASAP (as in this week) if possible.

However, if I were OP, I'd add Michigan, Northwestern and GULC (and Berkeley if from CA). Top 5% T2 has a much better chance at those schools than CNP. If OP was closer to top 1-3%, I'd say CNP were more likely.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 am

keg411 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Chances at:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
New York
Penn

Vandy - probably IN, but not worth the application to go outside of the T14 (exception: from the Nashville area)
CNP - all good to apply to but might be a long shot to get one. Get your apps in ASAP (as in this week) if possible.

However, if I were OP, I'd add Michigan, Northwestern and GULC (and Berkeley if from CA). Top 5% T2 has a much better chance at those schools than CNP. If OP was closer to top 1-3%, I'd say CNP were more likely.

Last edited by $peppercorn on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:Rank 14/128 (top 11%) at Elon Law (T4, good reputation), 3.54, 1L summer at Fortune 300 in-house

Chances at:

W&M
W&L
George Mason
Richmond

Think I got lost in the shuffle. Ideas?

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 am

Arrow wrote:To transfer into the T1 you need:
-top 10-20% at a T2
-top 5-10% at T3
-top 5% at T4

Arrow wrote:To transfer into the T2 you need:
-top 10-20% at a T3/T4

I can't speak to school specifics and am not particularly familiar with t4 transfer prospects generally, but the above indicates that you're a long shot at T1 and about in the right range for Richmond

flip21

Postby flip21 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:43 am

transferquery wrote:
-top 10-20% at a T2
-top 5-10% at T3
-top 5% at T4

-top 10-20% at a T3/T4

I can't speak to school specifics and am not particularly familiar with t4 transfer prospects generally, but the above indicates that you're a long shot at T1 and about in the right range for Richmond

From my search on TLS I can tell that there's not much of a difference between T3 and T4, but what is the general consensus? Is T3 every school that has a rank (even past 100?) and T4 is everything else?

Also - do you think having a parent on the faculty of the school (but not the law school) help much?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am

flip21 wrote:
transferquery wrote:
-top 10-20% at a T2
-top 5-10% at T3
-top 5% at T4

-top 10-20% at a T3/T4

From my search on TLS I can tell that there's not much of a difference between T3 and T4, but what is the general consensus? Is T3 every school that has a rank (even past 100?) and T4 is everything else?

If your parent is on the faculty it is a boost I am sure....but more importantly can't you get a huge discount on the education because your parent is an employee of the school?
Also - do you think having a parent on the faculty of the school (but not the law school) help much?

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:25 am

flip21 wrote:Is T3 every school that has a rank (even past 100?) and T4 is everything else?

Yep

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:18 am

transferquery wrote:
flip21 wrote:Is T3 every school that has a rank (even past 100?) and T4 is everything else?

Yep

This is not exactly true. Most of the T4 schools have ranks just like the T3 schools do; the difference is that the T4 ranks aren't published.

For the past 2 years, USNWR has ranked the T3 (if you look at the current rankings on USNWR, it's clear that they rank all the way to #150 now). T4 schools are listed as "rank not published" (which have been ranked but are below #150), with the exception of the last five schools on the list (such as UC-Irvine) which are listed as "unranked".

So while most T4s are not ranked publicly, they do have an assigned rank below #150 unless they're listed as unranked.

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23 am

touche

anon34134

Postby anon34134 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 am

Vronsky wrote:
keg411 wrote:
anon34134 wrote:T14-16 Law School, top 2-3% of class, 1L SA. Chances at Top 6?

You really should stay at your current school. The only reason you should even think about leaving is if you're paying sticker and in that case, only apply to HYS since they give need-based aid to transfers.

Yeah you would probably be competitive at all of HYS, and I don't know if you could necessarily justify the move to CCN. Will you be on LR with scholarship where you are?

Thanks for the input!

Revised question: No law review at the old school, likely to get a good scholarship. Also very likely to get a lot of need-aid from HYS, maybe even more than from the old school.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:47 am

anon34134 wrote:Thanks for the input!

Revised question: No law review at the old school, likely to get a good scholarship. Also very likely to get a lot of need-aid from HYS, maybe even more than from the old school.

I think "no law review" changes the equation entirely. I transferred from lower T14 to H, and while I probably would've stayed if I made LR, I have no reason to regret transferring since I didn't. I really feel like I've had good opportunities here I wouldn't have had as non-LR at my prior school.

Apply to all of HYS (don't miss the early deadline at S!), and enjoy your acceptance(s). As long as you fully polish your application and get good LORs, I think you'll be good. Probably not worth leaving for CCN though, unless you really really want to go to CLS and work in NY.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Anyone informed care to chance me?

School Range: 60s
GPA: 3.9 (probably top 1%)

Applied to Columbia, NYU, Penn, and thinking about sending one to Harvard, though I don't want to waste money if I have no shot.

Thanks.

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 pm

T1 40-50s
Top 10-20% (still waiting on some grades, but I'll be in this range)

Already in at GW, but was deferred at GULC when I applied EA.

Just wondering what my shot is at getting into GULC. I'm going to have to do write on before I know that I'm in. I'm trying to decide if this is worth it.

Strong ties to DC, including work experience in the city and 1L year at another DC law school. Not sure if this is true, but Arrow's thread says that doing 1L year in the same city of the school you are applying to is worth a small bump.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on my chances at GULC. Thanks.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Last edited by ajaxconstructions on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Paying near sticker at DCNG. Better than top 10%, maybe closer to 7% or so.

Thoughts on transferring to HYS? Even worth it?

$$$ Aid would be a huge +. I have no money and am all loans.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:49 pm

$peppercorn wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Chances at:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
New York
Penn

Thanks for the input. I am from the Nashville area, and did undergrad in the area. I would be happy working there. There is a possibility that I am top 3% but probably not any higher. I was after the fall semester but had a very slight drop. I had not thought about Northwestern though

I meant "good" in the sense that the list of schools was balanced between safer options and some reasonable reaches.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:54 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Anyone informed care to chance me?

School Range: 60s
GPA: 3.9 (probably top 1%)

Applied to Columbia, NYU, Penn, and thinking about sending one to Harvard, though I don't want to waste money if I have no shot.

Thanks.

It's probably a long shot, but I wouldn't say it's a waste of money to send an app to H. For what it's worth, I was top 1% (but not #1 overall) at a lower ranked school and was rejected at H - but at least I have that peace of mind. If there's a chance you are #1 overall, it's definitely worth it.

Try to highlight WE on your application and resume. And if not, you should definitely get one of CNP.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

rockthered86 wrote:T1 40-50s

Just wondering what my shot is at getting into GULC. I'm going to have to do write on before I know that I'm in. I'm trying to decide if this is worth it.

Strong ties to DC, including work experience in the city and 1L year at another DC law school. Not sure if this is true, but Arrow's thread says that doing 1L year in the same city of the school you are applying to is worth a small bump.

Yes I believe there is some bump for being at a DC school currently. Did you make LR where you are? On scholarship? If you want to work in DC, I'd probably say that LR + Scholly at your DC school is better than GULC without either. But if you make LR at GULC, of course that changes the whole equation. It's hard to say with your grade range - if closer to 10%, then you probably get in, and if closer to 20% then probably not. Also, GULC decisions should be coming soon - early to mid June if I remember.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:Final grades are out.

Top 17%-20% from Cornell to Columbia?

Possibly. I'm not too familiar - but it wouldn't hurt to apply to both CLS and NYU.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:58 pm

PinkCow wrote:Paying near sticker at DCNG. Better than top 10%, maybe closer to 7% or so.

Thoughts on transferring to HYS? Even worth it?

$$$ Aid would be a huge +. I have no money and am all loans.

Most likely competitive at H. Unless you have west-coast ties probably not worth it at S. Yale is such a black box I have no idea. Work on that H app and highlight WE on your resume/PS!

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Vronsky wrote:

Yes I believe there is some bump for being at a DC school currently. Did you make LR where you are? On scholarship? If you want to work in DC, I'd probably say that LR + Scholly at your DC school is better than GULC without either. But if you make LR at GULC, of course that changes the whole equation. It's hard to say with your grade range - if closer to 10%, then you probably get in, and if closer to 20% then probably not. Also, GULC decisions should be coming soon - early to mid June if I remember.

Thanks Vronsky.

No scholarship and no LR at current school.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm

rockthered86 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Thanks Vronsky.

No scholarship and no LR at current school.

Then yes, you should definitely do the write-on and transfer if admitted.

blueblueblue

Postby blueblueblue » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:36 pm

top 10% UT?

Return to “Transfers”