What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Top 20-25% to Columbia from Cornell?

transferquestion123

New

Post by transferquestion123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:42 am

Last edited by transferquestion123 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:35 am

anon34134 wrote:T14-16 Law School, top 2-3% of class, 1L SA. Chances at Top 6?
You really should stay at your current school. The only reason you should even think about leaving is if you're paying sticker and in that case, only apply to HYS since they give need-based aid to transfers.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:40 am

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:46 am

anonymouz wrote:Top 30 law school. Top 5% of class. On a journal as a 1L and authored a series of blog posts on the financial crisis. Have a masters degree and 4 years of post-graduate managerial experience. Research Assistant to Vice-Dean. Legal Writing TA.

Would like to do NYC BigLaw but have a degree from a school with a national reputation so I can go back to Cali at some point.

Applying to top 6
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Columbia
NYU
Chicago

Would also consider:
Berkeley/UVA/Penn
I would say you are competitive, although not likely, at H and S. More realistic targets include CCNBP. You can probably avoid UVA unless you are VA resident. Penn doesn't have great reach out west, but obviously Berkley would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:47 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:Top 20-25% to Columbia from Cornell?
Mayyybe. It would help to be a little higher, as I think lower T14 transfers are top 15%ish, whereas the top 20-25% people come from T10 schools. It wouldn't hurt to apply to both CLS and NYU, though.

Is Ithaca really that bad? You have great NYC big law odds at OCI where you are.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 am

keg411 wrote:
anon34134 wrote:T14-16 Law School, top 2-3% of class, 1L SA. Chances at Top 6?
You really should stay at your current school. The only reason you should even think about leaving is if you're paying sticker and in that case, only apply to HYS since they give need-based aid to transfers.
Yeah you would probably be competitive at all of HYS, and I don't know if you could necessarily justify the move to CCN. Will you be on LR with scholarship where you are?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
keg411 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:School: 45-50
Rank: Official ranks aren't out yet, but probably around top 2-3%
Two book awards (LORs from both profs)
Will likely grade-on to law review and I have a masters degree, but these things probably don't make much of a difference.

Thinking of applying to:
Harvard
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Mich
Penn
GULC
Texas

Any idea on my chances at any of these? Are there any schools I should forget about applying to?
Leave Texas off. They're pretty strict about transfers and only want people who need to be in Austin (I don't even think Texas ties are enough). You can probably also leave GULC off unless you'd rather go there then stay at your current school (with top 2-3% and LR, I'd consider staying if you have $$$ unless you know your school's OCI is atrocious or want to be in NYC and are currently in a smaller market).
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'll probably drop GULC. That's unfortunate about Texas. One of my LORs is a UT Law grad and wrote a UT targeted LOR for me, so hopefully that'll help a little bit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my chances at the other schools?
You probably don't have a great shot at H (it would help to be #1 in your class), but should be very competitive and get at least one of CCNMP. If I were you, I would apply to HCNMP and possibly B.

flip21

New

Post by flip21 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Top 6-7% at T3/T4 (sticker)
Good Softs
Ties to VA/DC

Chances at:

UVA
GULC
GW

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Top 8-10% at T40-50

UVA
Duke
Penn
Michigan

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:12 pm

flip21 wrote:Top 6-7% at T3/T4 (sticker)
Good Softs
Ties to VA/DC

Chances at:

UVA
GULC
GW
The best you will probably do is GW. You'd probably have to be closer to 1-2% for UVA (if a resident) or GULC.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 pm

shock259 wrote:Top 8-10% at T40-50

UVA
Duke
Penn
Michigan
I think you have a shot at Penn/Michigan (though both are probably borderline), but if I were you, I'd apply to Northwestern and GULC over UVA/Duke (both of which take small transfer classes). The only way you should apply to UVA/Duke is if you're a resident of VA or NC.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:21 pm

t4 Rainmaker
1%
A lot of CALI Books, like a lot.

Duke, VA, GULC (EA Deferred), Berk, Mich, NW, Notre Dame (Did ND as a "safety" if the t14 doesn't work out. ND is still tough to transfer into I know. And there is no such thing as a "safety" transfer.)

Already dinged at Uchi (EA).
Accepted at Illinois (with a transfer scholly), but turned them down because they failed my character and fitness requirement. Right back at ya guys. Tables have turned!

My eyes are in the t14 stars

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:50 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:t4 Rainmaker
1%

Duke, VA, GULC (EA Deferred), Berk, Mich, NW, Notre Dame (Did ND as a "safety" if the t14 doesn't work out. ND is still tough to transfer into I know. And there is no such thing as a "safety" transfer.)

Accepted at Illinois (with a transfer scholly), but turned them down because they failed my character and fitness requirement. Right back at ya guys. Tables have turned!

dude, you're perfect for harvard. why no app?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:01 pm

fatduck wrote:
1%

Still unlikely but I agree definitely worth the app. And pretty good chance at one of C/N...but from your list I'm guessing you dislike NYC.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
fatduck wrote:
1%

Still unlikely but I agree definitely worth the app. And pretty good chance at one of C/N...but from your list I'm guessing you dislike NYC.
I was under the impression Harvard would laugh at my 153 LSAT (their website says they still look at this). Also, I haven't heard of anyone going t4 to H.

I left NYU/Columbia out because I assumed I had no shot. Should I apply?

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:42 pm

And I dont see how I'd be competetive at H since uchi didn't even defer me EA. They straight rejected me =(. And Gtown deferred me EA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Should I Transfer??

Bronze

Post by Should I Transfer?? » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm

(Still waiting on one more grade and will likely post again with a finalized class gpa and class rank)

GPA will either be 3.88 or 3.92 at Indiana University (T30). Historically, this will be top 1% and likely ranked number 1.

Chances at: HYSCCN and M/NU?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:(Still waiting on one more grade and will likely post again with a finalized class gpa and class rank)

GPA will either be 3.88 or 3.92 at Indiana University (T30). Historically, this will be top 1% and likely ranked number 1.

I'd say definitely IN at both M/NU. Good chance at CCN. Not sure about HYS, but if you get one, it would probably be H since they take a decent sized transfer class. Probably OUT at YS unless you can get a faculty member who attended one of the schools to pull for you.

I'd question if it's really worth it to transfer in your case, but you might be able to get a better handle on the job prospects for the #1 person out of IU in the IU thread; but I'd think you'd be able to get something in Indianapolis/Chicago/NYC at your current school. If the IU people seem to think you'd be okay at OCI, the only reason you should consider transferring is if you're paying out-of-state sticker.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:20 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I was under the impression Harvard would laugh at my 153 LSAT (their website says they still look at this). Also, I haven't heard of anyone going t4 to H.
Don't worry about LSAT score -- a lot of schools say they care but the evidence suggests they really don't. And you're right, as far as I know no one has gone from T4 --> H. But I know of people who went from T3 --> H. Given that the admissions committee's view of schools may not align exactly USNWR's T3/T4 distinctions, it seems to be at least worth the application fee.
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I left NYU/Columbia out because I assumed I had no shot. Should I apply?
IIRC, #1 at T4 --> CLS/NYU is very doable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

I'll give it a shot.

Top 5% at a school in the 55-70 range.

Chances at:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
New York
Penn

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
fatduck wrote:
1%

I was under the impression Harvard would laugh at my 153 LSAT (their website says they still look at this). Also, I haven't heard of anyone going t4 to H.

I left NYU/Columbia out because I assumed I had no shot. Should I apply?
Is this for real? (1) what's up with the C&F? (2) What's up with the 'transfer scholly?

If serious, you might have a shot a GULC. In general, however, it's very difficult to transfer from T4 to T14. I doubt it at H, and I know of no true T4 transfer at my CCN. Also I know Chicago routinely dings most T2-T4 applicants no matter what, so don't worry about that.

If you have some real C&F issues, it could reflect admissions within the T14. The best strategy for you is probably to blanket T7-20 which you basically have done.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
Should I Transfer?? wrote:(Still waiting on one more grade and will likely post again with a finalized class gpa and class rank)

I'd say definitely IN at both M/NU. Good chance at CCN. Not sure about HYS, but if you get one, it would probably be H since they take a decent sized transfer class. Probably OUT at YS unless you can get a faculty member who attended one of the schools to pull for you.

I'd question if it's really worth it to transfer in your case, but you might be able to get a better handle on the job prospects for the #1 person out of IU in the IU thread; but I'd think you'd be able to get something in Indianapolis/Chicago/NYC at your current school. If the IU people seem to think you'd be okay at OCI, the only reason you should consider transferring is if you're paying out-of-state sticker.
You should definitely apply to Harvard, I'd say you have a good chance, and should transfer if accepted. I still think Indiana summa cum laude + LR still doesn't hold a candle to an HLS diploma, with options in BigLaw + BigGov, alumni networks, and worldwide recognition. If finances are an issue, and you are already on scholarship, and have some desire of living/working in that market (Chi? Or Indiana (big)law? Does such a thing exist?), then of course you could stay.

Have you already started working on the app for H? I would try to polish an H-specific PS but get your app in well before the deadline. If you have pre-law school WE, highlight and polish that in your resume. It's very important. Also some LORs from Harvard alumni might help.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 pm

$peppercorn wrote:I'll give it a shot.

Top 5% at a school in the 55-70 range.

Chances at:

Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
New York
Penn
This is a good list, and I think you're very strong at Vandy and Duke (any interest at GULC?) and CNP is worth it, too.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Vronsky -

I meant Illinois Law has C/F issues. As in they lied about their stats. It was a joke.

They offered me 5k a year as a scholarship. As a transfer. Thought this was rare.

I havent applied to C/N. Is it worth it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”