What are your chances? I'll chance you

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferquestion123

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Postby transferquestion123 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Last edited by transferquestion123 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 pm

JoeFish wrote:All righty. I can provide some concrete numbers finally.

-Midwestern Law School ranked in the 30s.
-All As and A-s. 3.78 GPA cumulative and each semester.
-One Cali Award.
-Top 10% (down to the single digit, top 8%, but no one cares about that).
-Honors/High Honors in all pass/fail writing/researching courses.
-Fairly strong Philadelphia ties.
-Lived entire life in the mid-Atlantic.
-Would like to practice in New York or Philadelphia.
-Would not say no to a good job in DC or Chicago.
-K-JD.
-Currently interning with Federal District Judge back in the mid-Atlantic.
-And, for what it's worth, because schools say they do look at it, even if they don't, a high LSAT score.

I'm going to apply to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, and Duke.

Give me numerical chances. Give me recommendations. Give me motivation.

Retake LSAT and reapply

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:Retake LSAT and reapply

Unfortunately, at this point I feel I'd get diminishing returns on putting more hours into the LSAT.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 pm

JoeFish wrote:
AZN MegaPoaster wrote:Retake LSAT and reapply

Unfortunately, at this point I feel I'd get diminishing returns on putting more hours into the LSAT.

Heh. Vronsky and others should be able to give you some advice. Unfortunately, I really can't. I'd say you're good for a few of those schools, though. Good luck

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Anyone know if it's true that Duke is impossible if not from NC?
I guess the same for UVA - VA and UCB - CA ... but I think those are more established as necessary

burnabee14

Postby burnabee14 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 pm

-One Cali Award.
-K-JD.
-And, for what it's worth, because schools say they do look at it, even if they don't, a high LSAT score.

You go to Illinois right? Are a lot of people transferring out because of the admissions scandal?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 pm

burnabee14 wrote:You go to Illinois right? Are a lot of people transferring out because of the admissions scandal?

Hard to say. Four people transferred out of last year's class, I think, and my guess is that more are going to from this one, although probably not a ton more.

For me personally, the scandal's about 2% of the reason I'm pursuing transfer options, far behind at least 5 or 6 other factors. If it hadn't happened, I'd still be pursuing transfer options. There was lots of talk about it when the scandal broke, but I have no idea if any of my classmates trying to transfer now would be staying but for the scandal.

I have spoken to or overheard at least 5 people who are considering it, although I generally have no idea if they're doing so for that reason, if they're trying to transfer to the T10 as opposed to lateral/down, or any other info.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 pm

burnabee14 wrote:You go to Illinois right? Are a lot of people transferring out because of the admissions scandal?

Banhammered for alting and trolling. Since their other account was "IllinoisLawScandal1" you can guess what the trolling was.

istara

Postby istara » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 pm

I know nothing about transferring.. I am, best case, 3.94. Worst case, 3.72. (waiting on one grade.. worst case is if I get a C even though my lowest so far has been an A-). Curve changed this year, so no one really knows were 10% will be. Last semester, I was #1, and I'm hoping not to go too far down.

I go to a tier 1, ranked 44 or something, IIRC. Any point, assuming the grade comes back ok, in trying to transfer (or is it too late anyway)?

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:00 am

istara wrote:I know nothing about transferring.. I am, best case, 3.94. Worst case, 3.72. (waiting on one grade.. worst case is if I get a C even though my lowest so far has been an A-). Curve changed this year, so no one really knows were 10% will be. Last semester, I was #1, and I'm hoping not to go too far down.

I go to a tier 1, ranked 44 or something, IIRC. Any point, assuming the grade comes back ok, in trying to transfer (or is it too late anyway)?

Do you have LORs? Get those in ASAP, otherwise you aren't late at all. Most action happens mid-June through mid-July

And depends on the market and where you want to end up and all. But you can probably pull a T6, maybe even HLS.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 am

steele wrote:top 30 school. Top 12%.

I am from Michigan. What are my chances for Michigan and Penn?

Michigan loves people from in-state and they'll take people in the top 15% from T30's. I think you have a really really good chance here.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:10 am

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:03 am

thewarflamingo wrote:School: 45-50
Rank: Official ranks aren't out yet, but probably around top 2-3%
Two book awards (LORs from both profs)
Will likely grade-on to law review and I have a masters degree, but these things probably don't make much of a difference.

Thinking of applying to:
Harvard
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Mich
Penn
GULC
Texas

Any idea on my chances at any of these? Are there any schools I should forget about applying to?

Leave Texas off. They're pretty strict about transfers and only want people who need to be in Austin (I don't even think Texas ties are enough). You can probably also leave GULC off unless you'd rather go there then stay at your current school (with top 2-3% and LR, I'd consider staying if you have $$$ unless you know your school's OCI is atrocious or want to be in NYC and are currently in a smaller market).

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:40 am

Verity wrote:Top 1/3 at IU-B/ASU/BU. What's the highest I can realistically transfer up?

you could probably only transfer laterally, not up

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 am

golfnut15 wrote:t60 school
3.5-3.6 (still waiting on one more grade)
~ top 10%
moot court

what range should i be looking at?

T10-T20

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:43 am

-One Cali Award.
-K-JD.

The motivation is that the midwest is a difficult market. If you transfer to say Penn, you have a much better shot at Philly big law. You should probably blanket CCNMP. I'd give you a high numerical chance of getting one of those, most likely M or P. It's a smart move because either way you increase your chances in Chicago or Philly.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:45 am

arigoldwannabe wrote:School: #51
Law review grade on

Chance me for: Gtown, Duke, MVP, CCN, H.

GULC - lock
Duke - I'm not familiar, I don't think they have a huge transfer class but could be wrong
MVP - good chances, but V is hard because of small class and VA-ties
CCN - good chance to get at least one
H - long shot but worth the app, it wouldn't be a waste of money

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:47 am

transferquestion123 wrote:I have a 3.72 at UMich (softs are a law school moot court championship and honors in legal practice), and I'm thinking about HYS. UGPA was a 3.86, LSAT was a 170, and I was waitlisted at Harvard and rejected at Stanford the first time around.

You have a very good shot at HYS. But what is your reason? Will you be on LR at Mich? If so, and even if not, you likely will be shooting fish in a barrel at OCI. If you want Gov. or academia are really the only reasons to transfer. Or perhaps increased chances at SF/SV big law, but I would think that would be possible where you are as well.

lawgrl14

Postby lawgrl14 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:49 am

School Rank: 18-20
Class Rank: Approx. 8/200ish (top 5%)

The way I understand it, I have a decent shot at Harvard with my numbers. But, I was wondering if anyone can comment on a unique soft. Would it do any work for me that I was asked to co-author a law review article as a 1L?

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:50 am

tedalbany wrote:Anyone know if it's true that Duke is impossible if not from NC?
I guess the same for UVA - VA and UCB - CA ... but I think those are more established as necessary

UVA and Berkley are state schools, with policies to favor in-state residents. That's a bit different than the "soft" factor of ties at other schools like stanford/Chicago/Vandy, etc, who do so based on school policy, not legislation. I believe virginia has a state law that requires no more than x% be from out of state. That said, I don't know much about duke, and don't understand the rationale to apply there. I dont think they do better than say GULC at OCI, and there is no NC market that I'm aware of other than very small charlotte.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:51 am

lawgrl14 wrote:School Rank: 18-20
Class Rank: Approx. 8/200ish (top 5%)

The way I understand it, I have a decent shot at Harvard with my numbers. But, I was wondering if anyone can comment on a unique soft. Would it do any work for me that I was asked to co-author a law review article as a 1L?

Was it published? If so, it can be great for admissions as well as during OCI. but just being asked isn't as big of a deal (yet). Get published!

With your numbers alone you have a good shot at H.

lawgrl14

Postby lawgrl14 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:56 am

Well, I of course said yes. And yes, it is being published.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Vronsky wrote:
transferquestion123 wrote:I have a 3.72 at UMich (softs are a law school moot court championship and honors in legal practice), and I'm thinking about HYS. UGPA was a 3.86, LSAT was a 170, and I was waitlisted at Harvard and rejected at Stanford the first time around.

You have a very good shot at HYS. But what is your reason? Will you be on LR at Mich? If so, and even if not, you likely will be shooting fish in a barrel at OCI. If you want Gov. or academia are really the only reasons to transfer. Or perhaps increased chances at SF/SV big law, but I would think that would be possible where you are as well.

SF/SV is definitely possible from Mich. I actually know a whole bunch of people doing SA's there. I really don't see a reason to transfer unless you despise Ann Arbor or are from near Palo Alto and would rather be close to home... and in that case, only apply to S and not H.

anonymouz

Postby anonymouz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Top 30 law school. Top 5% of class. On a journal as a 1L and authored a series of blog posts on the financial crisis. Have a masters degree and 4 years of post-graduate managerial experience. Research Assistant to Vice-Dean. Legal Writing TA.

Would like to do NYC BigLaw but have a degree from a school with a national reputation so I can go back to Cali at some point.

Applying to top 6
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Columbia
NYU
Chicago

Would also consider:
Berkeley/UVA/Penn

anon34134

Postby anon34134 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:35 pm

T14-16 Law School, top 2-3% of class, 1L SA. Chances at Top 6?

Return to “Transfers”