What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AZN MegaPoaster

New

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by AZN MegaPoaster » Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:3.94 gpa at a top 40 school. All As this year except for 1 A-. I was ranked number 1 last semester, but won't be anymore bc of the A-; not sure what I am ranked right now, though. Applying to HYSCCN. Chances?
Anyone else have any thoughts?

slburgess86

New

Post by slburgess86 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Last edited by slburgess86 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Sat May 26, 2012 10:13 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:
AZN MegaPoaster wrote:3.94 gpa at a top 40 school. All As this year except for 1 A-. I was ranked number 1 last semester, but won't be anymore bc of the A-; not sure what I am ranked right now, though. Applying to HYSCCN. Chances?
From transferapps, it looks like you have an ~80% shot at HCCN
Maybe 35% at S, 10% at Y.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Sat May 26, 2012 10:14 pm

slburgess86 wrote:LSAT 150
GPA 3.52

Letter from a local judge, and another from a former teacher. 3 years work experience at a succesful printing company. And three years service in the marines after high school. Also, served internship with the judge. My BS will be in homeland security, but I have an AS in paralegal studies aswell. I will be applying to Northern Kentucky, U of Louisville, Indiana U (indy), and valporaso (valpo is my last pick). What are my chances???
Check yo forum

slburgess86

New

Post by slburgess86 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:22 pm

?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:
If my last 2 grades are As, we're in the exact same position and are applying to the exact same schools except I did umich over stanford (don't really want to live on the west coast). I'm thinking very poor chance at Y (5-10%?), poor chance at S (15-20%?), decent chance at H (20-40%?), strong chance (65-80%?) at each of CCN.

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Sat May 26, 2012 10:32 pm

slburgess86 wrote:?
This is a transfer application chances forum; you're looking for normal jd admissions chances.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Sat May 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Care to venture percentages if I turn out #1 at 50ish school with 4 years active duty Army and three current professor LORs?

Vronsky gave me a good response but it's always nice to have numbers.

HYSCCN, UVA, Penn, GULC.

Kaspian

New

Post by Kaspian » Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 am

x
Last edited by Kaspian on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:
Your chances at H might depend on whether other people in your class apply. If you are number 2 and number 1 also applies, chances go down. You should probably come back when you have a definitive rank.
Y - not good, they typically draw from T14
H - very good assuming you are the highest ranked applicant from your school, slightly less if not
S - tough unless you have compelling CA stuff
CCN - a lock to get at least one

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 am

tedalbany wrote:
GPA 3.52

Letter from a local judge, and another from a former teacher. 3 years work experience at a succesful printing company. And three years service in the marines after high school. Also, served internship with the judge. My BS will be in homeland security, but I have an AS in paralegal studies aswell. I will be applying to Northern Kentucky, U of Louisville, Indiana U (indy), and valporaso (valpo is my last pick). What are my chances???
Check yo forum
Retake and focus on RC

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Sun May 27, 2012 11:48 am

Vronsky wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
GPA 3.52

Check yo forum
Retake and focus on RC
I see what you did there.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 am

Kaspian wrote:
Kaspian wrote:Around the 10% mark at a TT, this semester's grades are trickling in and I'll prob be 4-8% for the entire year. Accepted at GW & WUSTL EA, deferred by Georgetown.

Chances at CCN, MVP (VA resident), NG. I'd be fine with GW for the fall, but I'd prefer to be at a T-14.
Anyone care to chance me? Is an app to Columbia or NYU even worth the money?
Oops sorry I missed this one. You can definitely still apply to CCN, but it's going to be a long shot. Other students at my TT with similar stats transferred to schools like BU, Emory, and GW. Keep your fingers crossed for GULC and don't be discouraged by EA deferral. For your PS for UVA, really highlight your reasons for wanting to be in/practice in VA, residency, high school, and UG if applicable.

If you want, you can always send updates to GULC, for example an updated shiny resume that includes your summer position. It can be done via email with attachment and is a way to show continued interest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 am

transferquery wrote:Still don't have all of my grades and as a result don't have an exact rank, but let's say it's top 3% at a 30-39.

Apping to YHCCNM. Chance away.
This is beginning to sound somewhat generic, but I think its the consensus:
Y - not good
H - decent chance, but you'll need to be very high in your class and the highest applicant
CCNM - a lock to get at least one, probably more

doodledoctor

New

Post by doodledoctor » Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Top 15% at Loyola Law School Los Angeles (#51).

Applying to USC and UCLA.

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Sun May 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Trying to decide if I should send in the big 2nd deposit to GULC and I could really use some help.

It looks like I'm going to end up a little better than top 10% (no ranking yet but lets say top 8%). And I go to a T30 school.

I plan on applying to:
Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Berkeley, and Duke (if it matters, the only school I have regional ties to is Penn)

What do you guys think my chances are?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any advice that I can get.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 28, 2012 12:22 am

Top 3% at UT. Chances at HYS?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 pm

yabuddy wrote:Trying to decide if I should send in the big 2nd deposit to GULC and I could really use some help.

It looks like I'm going to end up a little better than top 10% (no ranking yet but lets say top 8%). And I go to a T30 school.

I plan on applying to:
Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Berkeley, and Duke (if it matters, the only school I have regional ties to is Penn)

What do you guys think my chances are?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any advice that I can get.
PM sent, but I'd say you should pass and either stay, or transfer into the T10.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Mon May 28, 2012 1:48 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Top 3% at UT. Chances at HYS?
Pretty good chance to get at least one, most likely harvard. any interest in Dallas or Houston BigLaw? If so, you could probably get it where you are, and $160k in Dallas is about 2-3x as much at $160k in NYC.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon May 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Top 15-20% at ASU/BU/IU-B. What's the best shot at moving up (preferably NYC, DC markets).

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Pretty good chance to get at least one, most likely harvard. any interest in Dallas or Houston BigLaw? If so, you could probably get it where you are, and $160k in Dallas is about 2-3x as much at $160k in NYC.
Yea, TX employment is my first choice. The issue is that I'm paying really close to sticker and I'm pretty sure Harvard would cost me less, even without a scholarship, since they are so generous with need-based aid (read: poor family).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

haranv

New

Post by haranv » Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 am

T4 - Top 1%

Applied to :

Georgetown
MVP
Washington and Lee
NYU
Penn State

International Student, no ties to any particular state.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 am

Rank 14/128 (top 11%) at Elon Law (T4, good reputation), 3.54, 1L summer at Fortune 300 in-house

Chances at:

W&M
W&L
George Mason
Richmond

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Tue May 29, 2012 1:24 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Yea, TX employment is my first choice. The issue is that I'm paying really close to sticker and I'm pretty sure Harvard would cost me less, even without a scholarship, since they are so generous with need-based aid (read: poor family).
I am at a lower ranked Texas school (Baylor/SMU) and I would not transfer if I were looking to work for a firm in Dallas or Houston (or San Antonio or Austin). I think you should stay at UT and try to become the biggest fish in the pond.

Jeremy

New

Post by Jeremy » Wed May 30, 2012 1:43 am

Top 20% after first semester, top 10-12% after second semester, at a mid T2 school. Two firm jobs and a research assistant position this summer. Could anyone give me some opinions? I'm in the North East.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”