What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pballer

Bronze

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by pballer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:22 pm

toplawschoolguy1 wrote:Trying to make a lateral transfer from one T4 to another T4 to be close to family.

In the bottom 1/2 of the class, but I'm trying to transfer from a full-time program into a part-time program. Is it likely?
I don't see why the other t4 would say no to your money, but I don't know that there is much t4 ft -> t4 pt precedent.
Last edited by pballer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Chances?

T60
GPA: 3.912
Top: 2-3%
Moot Court

Looking to apply to NYU, Columbia, and Berkeley (NY and CA ties).
Already accepted EA to Georgetown.

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:00 pm

candytex wrote:Chances?

T60
Moot Court

Also, for humor's sake, what are the chances at Stanford (if any)? I have Bay Area ties (born and raised).

BLSTruth

New

Post by BLSTruth » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Law School Ranking: 65
GPA: 3.85
Awards: CALI Award top grade in a 1L course

Applied to: CLS, NYU, Penn, Texas, Chicago, HLS, Boalt, UCLA

What are my chances?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 pm

BLSTruth wrote:Law School Ranking: 65

What are my chances?
Honestly, I think you're probably too low for CLS/NYU/Penn/HLS/Chicago (you'd need top 1% for HLS/Chicago and probably top 3% for CLS/NYU/Penn). However, I don't know exactly how BLS does with NYC schools and how low they'll go, but remember that probably everyone in the top 5% is applying to those schools.

If you want a T14, try GULC/NU/Michigan (and even then, the people I know who transferred from schools in your range were all top 5%). You might get Berkeley if you're a CA resident, but it's going to be close.

You need to be a TX resident to get TX. I think you get UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 pm

candytex wrote:
candytex wrote:Chances?

T60
Moot Court

Also, for humor's sake, what are the chances at Stanford (if any)? I have Bay Area ties (born and raised).
Here's what I'd guess.
Stanford - 10%
CLS - 60%
NYU - 60%
Berkeley - 70%

If I were you, I'd also throw an app to Penn just in case, but I think you get one of CLS/NYU.

jimsgundam

New

Post by jimsgundam » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 pm

top 50% at mid-T2, is it possible to go to Wake Forest or Wisconsin?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 pm

jimsgundam wrote:top 50% at mid-T2, is it possible to go to Wake Forest or Wisconsin?
No.

ffff

New

Post by ffff » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 am

law school rank- 26

gpa- 3.61
top 20%

any chance at Michigan, Gtown, Cornell or UCLA?

thanks in advance

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 am

ffff wrote:law school rank- 26

gpa- 3.61
top 20%

any chance at Michigan, Gtown, Cornell or UCLA?

thanks in advance
You have a slight chance at Michigan if you're a Michigan resident; otherwise no. Probably no on GULC/Cornell. Maybe on UCLA since it's close to a lateral transfer. How is your current school's placement/do you have a scholarship?

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:13 am

I know I've been chanced before, but now I have all the grade information.

At T20
GPA: 3.956 / Estimated < 1.5%
4 Years in WE in professional field
No word on journal, but probably LR - don't think I'll find out until after applications are due anyway

Don't think this will change anything for most of the schools I'm applying to, but chances at H and Y?

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

West Coast T2
GPA 3.53 / Estimated top 15%
Six years WE
Won't grade onto LR, but will probably write on to primary or secondary.

I currently have an OK scholarship and don't want to transfer as I like this market, but would like to get an acceptance somewhere that would help me leverage more money.

Suggestions?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm

FlanSolo wrote:I know I've been chanced before, but now I have all the grade information.

At T20
No word on journal, but probably LR - don't think I'll find out until after applications are due anyway

Don't think this will change anything for most of the schools I'm applying to, but chances at H and Y?
I'd say you're competitive at both. Yale is very black box, and typically draws from the T14, but you have a shot. and a VERY good chance at H given your WE and ranking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 pm

wuduhel wrote:West Coast T2
Six years WE

I currently have an OK scholarship and don't want to transfer as I like this market, but would like to get an acceptance somewhere that would help me leverage more money.

Suggestions?
UCLA and USC, and whatever is next after them. Irvine? I'm fairly clueless as to west coast stuff.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
BLSTruth wrote:Law School Ranking: 65

What are my chances?
Honestly, I think you're probably too low for CLS/NYU/Penn/HLS/Chicago (you'd need top 1% for HLS/Chicago and probably top 3% for CLS/NYU/Penn). However, I don't know exactly how BLS does with NYC schools and how low they'll go, but remember that probably everyone in the top 5% is applying to those schools.

If you want a T14, try GULC/NU/Michigan (and even then, the people I know who transferred from schools in your range were all top 5%). You might get Berkeley if you're a CA resident, but it's going to be close.

You need to be a TX resident to get TX. I think you get UCLA.
Definitely could've saved your money for HLS and Chicago. CNP are not likely, but not a waste either. C and N will occassionally take someone with your ranking at BLS, but yes typically does draw from top 5%. If you're going to apply to UCLA, might as well add USC. Berkley is very tough for east-coasters. Also, add Michigan and GULC. Forget about Texas.

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Vronsky wrote:
wuduhel wrote:West Coast T2
Six years WE

Suggestions?
UCLA and USC, and whatever is next after them. Irvine? I'm fairly clueless as to west coast stuff.
Thanks.

Am open to applying to east coast, but have no intention of moving.

I would like U of W, but think that is a long shot even though I have significant ties to Seattle.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Vronsky wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:School: #51
Law review grade on

Chance me for: Gtown, Duke, MVP, CCN, H.
GULC - lock
Duke - I'm not familiar, I don't think they have a huge transfer class but could be wrong
MVP - good chances, but V is hard because of small class and VA-ties
CCN - good chance to get at least one
H - long shot but worth the app, it wouldn't be a waste of money
Do you think having a few Bs supplemented by A+ puts me at a disadvantage to someone with all As/A-?? Or is it all class rank?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Vronsky wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:Top 5% at T2 ranked 60-70

Looking at CLS, NYU, Penn, UVA, G'Town

I read through some of the earlier pages -- I feel like I'd have a good chance at GULC, but is it worth it to give up full scholarship, (presumably) law review, class rank, etc. for the OCI at G'Town / do they even let transfers do write-on?

Some of the earlier posts also made it seem as if UVA doesn't accept out-of-state transfers. Truth to this? I stayed on the WL at UVA until the very last day in my 0L cycle (and I'm not from VA), so I feel like maybe that'd help--though I don't want to waste my time

I'm sure C, N, and P are stretches, but those are the 3 I'd love to be at.

Chances at those 5 / answers to my previous questions about GULC/UVA?
Let's see. You would be competitive at all schools, maybe even UVA. I mentioned before they only took 10 transfers last year though.
GULC - 70%
UVA - 25%
C/N - 25%
P - 45%

As for whether it's worth it at GULC, that's not clear to me. It depends on factors like how bad do you want to work in DC. For the other schools, I'd say it's worth it despite your LR and scholarship, but outside the T10 its a tossup. What market is your current school located? And where do you want to work?
My current school is actually in/near the market in which I'd like to work (Philadelphia/New York), so when you hear that, it might make even less sense to transfer to G'Town. Then again, I wouldn't mind working in DC--I like the city, and the biglaw prospects would (seemingly) be better down there...but even that isn't necessarily true if I'm near the top of my class in/near the markets in which I'd like to practice

Thus, the dilemma over whether to spend the $100 applying to Georgetown.

Seeing as how I'm in/near the Philly/New York market, hopefully that could give a slight boost also? Getting into C, N, or P would be a shock, but that's where I want to be.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:Top 5% at T2 ranked 60-70

Looking at CLS, NYU, Penn, UVA, G'Town

I read through some of the earlier pages -- I feel like I'd have a good chance at GULC, but is it worth it to give up full scholarship, (presumably) law review, class rank, etc. for the OCI at G'Town / do they even let transfers do write-on?

Some of the earlier posts also made it seem as if UVA doesn't accept out-of-state transfers. Truth to this? I stayed on the WL at UVA until the very last day in my 0L cycle (and I'm not from VA), so I feel like maybe that'd help--though I don't want to waste my time

I'm sure C, N, and P are stretches, but those are the 3 I'd love to be at.

Chances at those 5 / answers to my previous questions about GULC/UVA?
Let's see. You would be competitive at all schools, maybe even UVA. I mentioned before they only took 10 transfers last year though.
GULC - 70%
UVA - 25%
C/N - 25%
P - 45%

As for whether it's worth it at GULC, that's not clear to me. It depends on factors like how bad do you want to work in DC. For the other schools, I'd say it's worth it despite your LR and scholarship, but outside the T10 its a tossup. What market is your current school located? And where do you want to work?
My current school is actually in/near the market in which I'd like to work (Philadelphia/New York), so when you hear that, it might make even less sense to transfer to G'Town. Then again, I wouldn't mind working in DC--I like the city, and the biglaw prospects would (seemingly) be better down there...but even that isn't necessarily true if I'm near the top of my class in/near the markets in which I'd like to practice

Thus, the dilemma over whether to spend the $100 applying to Georgetown.

Seeing as how I'm in/near the Philly/New York market, hopefully that could give a slight boost also? Getting into C, N, or P would be a shock, but that's where I want to be.
It's hard to give up full scholarship + LR with market ties. How well does your school place in NY? Do you have a list of major firms coming to your OCI? And how well can you get into the city? (I know very little about the Penn market other than that its smaller than NYC, duh).

If you decide to stay (and probably even if not), you should mail every reasonable V100, either online using their website or mailed directly to the designated person on NALP.com. You should be able to pick up a number of interviews. IF you can get a job that pays, and be on full scholarship, it's quite difficult to rationalize transferring.

You might want to consider other factors like, do you want to work in BigGov? Clerk? Academia? Work overseas or outside the Northeast? Do you like your current setup at LS in terms of living situation, friends, classmates, family, etc?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 pm

FlanSolo wrote:I know I've been chanced before, but now I have all the grade information.

At T20

I may have said this already to you, but don't leave unless you're paying sticker and would get more $$$ through HYS need-based aid. Y is a black box, but I can't see you not getting H. Still, I think there's a great case for sticking where you're at.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 am

keg411 wrote:

At T20

I may have said this already to you, but don't leave unless you're paying sticker and would get more $$$ through HYS need-based aid. Y is a black box, but I can't see you not getting H. Still, I think there's a great case for sticking where you're at.
Yeah, I am currently paying sticker, so I am going to see what the economics look like. My school is not know necessarily for its generosity. The other consideration is that I'm hoping to be able to make inroads to Richmond, VA (plans with my SO), so that's why I'm applying to UVA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ust2008

New

Post by ust2008 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 am

School: UT/UCLA/USC
GPA: 3.9 (not sure of rank, but top 10% is 3.75 - so I'd guess top 5%)
WE: 4 years + SA at top firm in major market
Journal: editor on secondary / waiting to hear back on LR

Schools: HYS, C - ties to S and good reasons for H, if that matters.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 am

arigoldwannabe wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:School: #51
Law review grade on

Chance me for: Gtown, Duke, MVP, CCN, H.
GULC - lock
Duke - I'm not familiar, I don't think they have a huge transfer class but could be wrong
MVP - good chances, but V is hard because of small class and VA-ties
CCN - good chance to get at least one
H - long shot but worth the app, it wouldn't be a waste of money
Do you think having a few Bs supplemented by A+ puts me at a disadvantage to someone with all As/A-?? Or is it all class rank?
In general class rank is what's important, but booking a few classes help if you have the same GPA/Rank as someone else.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:01 am

FlanSolo wrote:
keg411 wrote:

At T20

Yeah, I am currently paying sticker, so I am going to see what the economics look like. My school is not know necessarily for its generosity. The other consideration is that I'm hoping to be able to make inroads to Richmond, VA (plans with my SO), so that's why I'm applying to UVA.
Keg is more conservative than me with respect to transferring - while I agree sometimes it's worth it to stay, that only applies when you are on a decent scholarship and intent to work in the market area of your school. Whenever you have a shot at Harvard, you have to consider it. Without knowing which T20 you are at, I would say it's worth it simply because we're talking about Harvard and you are paying sticker. Even if half to whole scholly, I would say consider it, because the alumni network of Harvard is probably the strongest in the world.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am

ust2008 wrote:School: UT/UCLA/USC
GPA: 3.9 (not sure of rank, but top 10% is 3.75 - so I'd guess top 5%)
WE: 4 years + SA at top firm in major market
Journal: editor on secondary / waiting to hear back on LR

Schools: HYS, C - ties to S and good reasons for H, if that matters.
You have a good chance at all of those, but I would say you should focus your consideration on YSH, whereas you might want to stay rather than go to C. do you have scholarship?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”