What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

Silver

What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Post your school rank, class rank, GPA, LR, WE, or other softs, the schools to which you will apply, and I'll estimate your chances of acceptance as a transfer. Others join in!

ETA - from last year: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=148138

contained therein:
lawloser22 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:T2 in the 80s.
3.8, top 5% out of ~300+
looking at GULC EA, UVA, CLS, and NYU.
GULC EA - 50% (75% RD)
UVA - If you're at Richmond or have significant ties to VA, 60%, otherwise 20%
CLS - 35-40%
NYU - 35-40%
Somewhat on the money, got into GULC, one of C/N, and rejected at UVa. (actually class ranking was top 1%, though.)

heeloftar

New

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by heeloftar » Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Last edited by heeloftar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Saving this until I get my grades.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 2:32 pm

heeloftar wrote:T3, Top 2% (Should hold or better after spring grades), ~4 years WE, no outstanding softs. Will blanket T17 and then other T1 schools in Southeast (UNC, UF, etc).
In what region is your T3?

If you want to save money on apps, I would target GULC and Vandy, maybe Duke, Emory(?) (assuming southeast). With that class ranking, I think you should be good for something in the Top 20 and can avoid the rest of the T1.

GULC - 65%
T14-20 - 90% for something
T10 - 10-15% unless you have regional ties (i.e. T3 in VA for UVA)

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Saving this until I get my grades.
Actual grades and a precise rank are a big factor. There's a big difference between "top 5%-ish" and "4th out of 325 students."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Some, but not all grades back yet, but expecting (or hoping for) top 4-7%, 3.8x or so, T2. (Not expecting 1-3%, but you never know).

Applying to CLS, NYU, Penn. Deferred GULC EA.

5 Years WE (non-legal, but substantive work).

Does writing onto current school's LR make a difference for transfer admission? Why would they care?

I know it is a bit speculative without final numbers, but do you think CLS/NYU care about WE? And what was the approximate "cutoff" for T2s at your C/N?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm

TFR wrote:Some, but not all grades back yet, but expecting (or hoping for) top 4-7%, 3.8x or so, T2. (Not expecting 1-3%, but you never know).
Does writing onto current school's LR make a difference for transfer admission? Why would they care?
I know it is a bit speculative without final numbers, but do you think CLS/NYU care about WE? And what was the approximate "cutoff" for T2s at your C/N?
T2 is a big range. Are you talking 51 or 99?
I don't know that Writing onto LR makes much of a difference (maybe small - something like getting an A in LRW). But GPA and school rank are the biggest factors.
Don't sweat GULC EA. I was deferred EA and accepted in the first wave of June. (anecdotally, it seems as tho EA was for mostly T1ers).
C/N took a number of people, some with 1-5 years of WE, some K-JD.
Most at C/N in the T2 are within top 5%, those from T1 can be within top 10%, and from within T14 possibly top 25% (I think).
You might also want to throw an app at Cornell, and Michigan. Concentrate on the T4-T10, with GULC and Cornell as safeties (if there can be such a thing for transfers - its not as clear as regular admissions).

Also - FYI, I was 3.88 at a T2 on 3.1 curve. Depending on your curve, you could be underestimating class rank.

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Thu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Vronsky wrote:
TFR wrote:Some, but not all grades back yet, but expecting (or hoping for) top 4-7%, 3.8x or so, T2. (Not expecting 1-3%, but you never know).
I don't know that Writing onto LR makes much of a difference (maybe small - something like getting an A in LRW). But GPA and school rank are the biggest factors.
Don't sweat GULC EA. I was deferred EA and accepted in the first wave of June. (anecdotally, it seems as tho EA was for mostly T1ers).
Most at C/N in the T2 are within top 5%, those from T1 can be within top 10%, from within possibly top 20% (I think).
You might also want to throw an app at Cornell, and Michigan. Concentrate on the T4-T10, with GULC and Cornell as safeties (if there can be such a thing for transfers - its not as clear as regular admissions).

Also - FYI, I was 3.88 at a T2 on 3.1 curve. Depending on your curve, you could be underestimating class rank.
I personally don't think I'd take GULC at this point, even if I got it, it seems to be a huge gamble to give up a scholly for (I applied there EA as kind of a safety against grades dropping). Also, doesn't Cornell exclude transfer students from OCI?

As far as blanketing the T4-10, would it be worth it to give up a good rank to transfer to a place with no ties? I'd take Berekely, UCLA, or NU, but the consensus here seems to be that transferring under a T6 without ties is not a good move?
Last edited by TFR on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 pm

TFR wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Most at C/N in the T2 are within top 5%, those from T1 can be within top 10%, from within possibly top 20% (I think).

Thanks, school is 60-70, curve is something similar to yours. I personally don't think I'd take GULC at this point, even if I got it, it seems to be a huge gamble to give up a scholly for (I applied there EA as kind of a safety against grades dropping). Also, doesn't Cornell exclude transfer students from OCI?

As far as blanketing the T4-10, would it be worth it to give up a good rank to transfer to a place with no ties? I'd take Berekely, UCLA, or NU, but the consensus here seems to be that transferring under a T6 without ties is not a good move?
I came to the same conclusion about GULC. I'd say T2 + LR + Scholly is better than GULC's biglaw placement numbers. Not sure about Cornell - I know Fordham is like that but don't know if cornell does the same thing.
If you are already at a school like Brooklyn, where you can access the NYC market, it probably isn't worth it transfer to Berkley, UCLA or NU without ties. But, if you are at a school that isn't near a major market like NYC/DC/Chicago/Dallas, then it's still probably worth it.

If you wanna go big or stay home, I like your chances to get at least one of CNP. Keep in mind that Michigan also has big law options in Chicago and NYC.

C - 40%
N - 45%
Penn - 65%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Thu May 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Vronsky wrote:
heeloftar wrote:T3, Top 2% (Should hold or better after spring grades), ~4 years WE, no outstanding softs. Will blanket T17 and then other T1 schools in Southeast (UNC, UF, etc).
In what region is your T3?

If you want to save money on apps, I would target GULC and Vandy, maybe Duke, Emory(?) (assuming southeast). With that class ranking, I think you should be good for something in the Top 20 and can avoid the rest of the T1.

GULC - 65%
T14-20 - 90% for something
T10 - 10-15% unless you have regional ties (i.e. T3 in VA for UVA)
Yep, Southeast, but unfortunately not VA. App fees aren't really an issue.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Thu May 17, 2012 4:05 pm

dumb question, how do you find out your class ranking...?

John N

New

Post by John N » Thu May 17, 2012 4:40 pm

TT in the 80s, first-year of GPA 3.72 (I was 4/132 after the Fall, but I am still waiting on class-rankings for the entire year...historically, I should be at least within the top 5 to 8 percent), Law Review, 1 year good work experience, and this summer I am working for a small employment firm.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 4:56 pm

warandpeace wrote:dumb question, how do you find out your class ranking...?
usually some kind of law school web/net thing, probably somewhat similar to how you check your grades online.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 17, 2012 4:56 pm

John N wrote:TT in the 80s, first-year of GPA 3.72 (I was 4/132 after the Fall, but I am still waiting on class-rankings for the entire year...historically, I should be at least within the top 5 to 8 percent), Law Review, 1 year good work experience, and this summer I am working for a small employment firm.
Where are you applying?

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Vronsky wrote:
John N wrote:TT in the 80s, first-year of GPA 3.72 (I was 4/132 after the Fall, but I am still waiting on class-rankings for the entire year...historically, I should be at least within the top 5 to 8 percent), Law Review, 1 year good work experience, and this summer I am working for a small employment firm.
Where are you applying?
Chicago, Vandy, Michigan, Penn, Northwestern, Berkeley.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri May 18, 2012 1:20 am

Number 1 pending final quarter grades at 50ish. Military experience including deployment to Iraq. National Guard plus part time job 1L year.

Hitting T6 plus UVA, Penn, Georgetown.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 am

mileslibertatis wrote:Number 1 pending final quarter grades at 50ish. Military experience including deployment to Iraq. National Guard plus part time job 1L year.

You should be a lock for one of YSH (most likely H). Save app fees and hit them plus C/N for backups. That's really all you need; UVA is super tough unless you are VA resident. There's no need to apply to GULC. GL!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri May 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Also have 3 LORs from current law professors.

I already sent in every app except Yale and UVA. I may reconsider applying to UVA now, thank you.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri May 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Vronsky wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:Number 1 pending final quarter grades at 50ish. Military experience including deployment to Iraq. National Guard plus part time job 1L year.

You should be a lock for one of YSH (most likely H). Save app fees and hit them plus C/N for backups. That's really all you need; UVA is super tough unless you are VA resident. There's no need to apply to GULC. GL!
Agreed this is about as close to a lock as you can get for one of HYS (but still not guaranteed). Military is an added plus because employers like it.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri May 18, 2012 6:22 pm

SwampRat88 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Where are you applying?
Chicago, Vandy, Michigan, Penn, Northwestern, Berkeley.
Chicago - 5% (very small class, typical draws from high T1)
Vandy - 60%
Michigan - 50%
Penn - 45%
NU - not very familiar with transfers here
Berkley - 10%, 50% if regional (they prefer UC and CA schools)

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:28 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:Also have 3 LORs from current law professors.

I already sent in every app except Yale and UVA. I may reconsider applying to UVA now, thank you.
FYI, you may want to apply to the public T14's if you qualify for the tuition waiver under GI Bill (UVA, Michigan).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acw1213

New

Post by acw1213 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Sun May 20, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Cornell allow for transfers to have full rights now?

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... JUMP_34110

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 pm

acw1213 wrote:school rank #115ish
class rank top 8-10%
moot court, good shot at law review

GW
William & Mary
Washington & Lee
George Mason
Not as familiar with transfer odds outside the T14, but I think you're applying to the right range of schools. I'd give you a solid 75%+ of getting at least one of these VA schools, and if you push top 5%, add UVA (if VA resident).

Rkl88

New

Post by Rkl88 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:17 pm

TTTT ranked #1 with a 3.97 GPA and 5 book awards (if this matters at all). What is the highest ranked school I should be looking at? MVP? GULC? T20?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”