What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jarofsoup

Gold

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by jarofsoup » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

Jeremy wrote:Top 20% after first semester, top 10-12% after second semester, at a mid T2 school. Two firm jobs and a research assistant position this summer. Could anyone give me some opinions? I'm in the North East.

All of the upper tier 1s outside the Top 14 are open and maybe some Top 14 schools. From what I have heard when you are inside the top 10% of your class some top 14 will usually take you. It is just a matter of which one.

coolerking

New

Post by coolerking » Wed May 30, 2012 12:39 pm

TTTT/TTT in Southern CA top 18% (39/210) looking to transfer to TT in Northern CA (specifically USD, Hastings, USF, and Santa Clara). No real softs to speak of, but I did AMJUR one course. Hoping to move for geographic reasons.

Jeremy

New

Post by Jeremy » Wed May 30, 2012 1:31 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Top 20% after first semester, top 10-12% after second semester, at a mid T2 school. Two firm jobs and a research assistant position this summer. Could anyone give me some opinions? I'm in the North East.

All of the upper tier 1s outside the Top 14 are open and maybe some Top 14 schools. From what I have heard when you are inside the top 10% of your class some top 14 will usually take you. It is just a matter of which one.
So, we haven't received our ranking yet, only our grades. But based on the general trend of class percentile rankings, I should be at the 10% mark or slightly below. If I am at the 11 or 12% mark, should I even send applications to the T14? Thanks for your help.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed May 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Jeremy wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

So, we haven't received our ranking yet, only our grades. But based on the general trend of class percentile rankings, I should be at the 10% mark or slightly below. If I am at the 11 or 12% mark, should I even send applications to the T14? Thanks for your help.
Yes you should probably apply to GULC. But, if you are outside the top 10%, it's not a high likelihood. Also, if you are in that range, you're really only looking at moving up to a middle of the T1 school. I'm not sure it's worth it for you - hopefully you are on scholarship, and made LR. If you were already able to line up TWO firm jobs at your school, you should be in line to get another firm job next year. School location and exact rank would be helpful to advise further.

Jeremy

New

Post by Jeremy » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

Yes you should probably apply to GULC. But, if you are outside the top 10%, it's not a high likelihood. Also, if you are in that range, you're really only looking at moving up to a middle of the T1 school. I'm not sure it's worth it for you - hopefully you are on scholarship, and made LR. If you were already able to line up TWO firm jobs at your school, you should be in line to get another firm job next year. School location and exact rank would be helpful to advise further.
Okay, if you don't mind I'll PM you as soon as I receive my actual exact rank. Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 am

I have a 4.072 GPA (includes a 4.3 LRW I and 4.1 LRW II) at a CA tier 4 school. Curve is set at 2.7 but still have 2 grades to go. Rank = 6/306 (from last semester)... I'm applying to Berkeley, USC, UCLA, GULC (deferred EA), Vandy, Cornell. What do you think?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu May 31, 2012 12:53 am

DuckEUG2010 wrote:I have a 4.072 GPA (includes a 4.3 LRW I and 4.1 LRW II) at a CA tier 4 school. Curve is set at 2.7 but still have 2 grades to go. Rank = 6/306 (from last semester)... I'm applying to Berkeley, USC, UCLA, GULC (deferred EA), Vandy, Cornell. What do you think?
I have heard of people with a 4.0 at Golden Gate get into Cal....but I have no other real advice...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu May 31, 2012 1:01 am

As a student at T2 what would I need for Northwestern. The website says usually top 10-15%. Haven't got grades back for the spring semester but first semester I was well with in the top 10%.

steele

New

Post by steele » Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 am

top 30 school. Top 12%.

I am from Michigan. What are my chances for Michigan and Penn?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 am

DuckEUG2010 wrote:I have a 4.072 GPA (includes a 4.3 LRW I and 4.1 LRW II) at a CA tier 4 school. Curve is set at 2.7 but still have 2 grades to go. Rank = 6/306 (from last semester)... I'm applying to Berkeley, USC, UCLA, GULC (deferred EA), Vandy, Cornell. What do you think?
If you can't get into GULC with that, I have no shot even with my regional ties...

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:22 am

lnllnl wrote:
If you can't get into GULC with that, I have no shot even with my regional ties...
A buddy of mine got accepted early to GULC and had the EXACT GPA I did (down to the thousandths). In addition, my LOR was from my legal writing professor who was a GULC alum and I have more WE than him. However, his LSAT and undergrad GPA were A LOT better than mine; I have to think that made a difference... I don't know you're stats but you never know, I wish you luck!!

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:26 am

jarofsoup wrote:
I have heard of people with a 4.0 at Golden Gate get into Cal....but I have no other real advice...
Hey I'll take it! Thanks for your input

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Thu May 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Okay, let's see what everyone thinks! I'm at a mid T1 school in the south (around #30) with a 3.8 but still waiting on a couple grades (which I expect to be good). I'll probably be around top 5%. I came in first place in our moot court competition and will probably get on Law Review. I have two years of WE. This summer I'm RA-ing. I have regional ties to the Northeast and I'm planning on applying to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Harvard, and Yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 31, 2012 2:15 pm

If your current law school begins with an "A" & ends with "Bama", your chances are good at Harvard, Penn, Columbia & NYU assuming that you finish in the Top 5% of your class.

Yale is possible but probably calls for a class rank in the top 2%.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 31, 2012 5:10 pm

forestgirl wrote:Okay, let's see what everyone thinks! I'm at a mid T1 school in the south (around #30) with a 3.8 but still waiting on a couple grades (which I expect to be good). I'll probably be around top 5%. I came in first place in our moot court competition and will probably get on Law Review. I have two years of WE. This summer I'm RA-ing. I have regional ties to the Northeast and I'm planning on applying to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Harvard, and Yale.
You can probably save the app fee for Yale. It would only be worth it IMO if you were #1 or in the T14. Applying to HCNP should get you something. GL!

snuffy smith

New

Post by snuffy smith » Thu May 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Here's an novel question. I've been accepted ED to Chicago. My GPA for the first semester is 3.96; rank is tied at #1. What grades would I have to get for my offer to be rescinded? Got a B+ today which drops me to 3.8.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 pm

snuffy smith wrote:Here's an novel question. I've been accepted ED to Chicago. My GPA for the first semester is 3.96; rank is tied at #1. What grades would I have to get for my offer to be rescinded? Got a B+ today which drops me to 3.8.
This is from Arrow's introduction essay:

Chicago also requires you get “consistent” grades throughout the year. When asked, the Chicago admissions office said this meant that you should not drop more than 0.2 or 0.3 points on your GPA or drop more than 10-20%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YESSIR111

New

Post by YESSIR111 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:04 pm

School is ranked #24-29
GPA 3.9x
Rank - top 1-2%

Right now I'm thinking HCCNBP

No ties to any of these schools

What do you think my chances are?

Thank you ahead of time

snuffy smith

New

Post by snuffy smith » Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 pm

FML

Verity

Silver

What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by Verity » Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Top 1/3 at IU-B/ASU/BU. What's the highest I can realistically transfer up?

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Thu May 31, 2012 10:56 pm

snuffy smith wrote:FML
I wouldn't worry until you get all your grades. I'm pretty sure they know stuff happens and unless it looks like first semester was a fluke you should be okay.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 am

jarofsoup wrote:As a student at T2 what would I need for Northwestern. The website says usually top 10-15%. Haven't got grades back for the spring semester but first semester I was well with in the top 10%.
I know someone who transferred there last year from my school who was barely in the top 25%. He had killer work experience though.

golfnut15

New

Post by golfnut15 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 pm

t60 school
3.5-3.6 (still waiting on one more grade)
~ top 10%
moot court

what range should i be looking at?

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:01 pm

All righty. I can provide some concrete numbers finally.

-Midwestern Law School ranked in the 30s.
-All As and A-s. 3.78 GPA cumulative and each semester.
-One Cali Award.
-Top 10% (down to the single digit, top 8%, but no one cares about that).
-Honors/High Honors in all pass/fail writing/researching courses.
-Fairly strong Philadelphia ties.
-Lived entire life in the mid-Atlantic.
-Would like to practice in New York or Philadelphia.
-Would not say no to a good job in DC or Chicago.
-K-JD.
-Currently interning with Federal District Judge back in the mid-Atlantic.
-And, for what it's worth, because schools say they do look at it, even if they don't, a high LSAT score.

I'm going to apply to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, and Duke.

Give me numerical chances. Give me recommendations. Give me motivation.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:17 pm

School: #51
Law review grade on

Chance me for: Gtown, Duke, MVP, CCN, H.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”