Duke/Cornell to UPENN/NYU/Columbia Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xjykybl

New

Duke/Cornell to UPENN/NYU/Columbia

Post by xjykybl » Sat May 12, 2012 12:55 am

I got into Duke and Cornell (class of 2015), but want to transfer to schools in or near NYC the second year for personal reasons.
How much percentile I need to get at Duke/Cornell to be able to transfer to Penn/NYU/Columbia, respectively?
I am choosing between Duke and Cornell, and the feasibility of transferring to schools in/near NYC weighs a lot in my decision.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!

wiglaf1228

New

Re: Duke/Cornell to UPENN/NYU/Columbia

Post by wiglaf1228 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:35 am

What a terrible idea. It's impossible to know for sure. Probably top 15% or so.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Sat May 12, 2012 3:54 am

Don't go to law school with the intention of transferring, and don't ask about transferring as a 0L.

Either suck it up and stay with Duke/Cornell which will both probably get you to NYC after graduation anyway (and if you happen to do well then you can consider a transfer), or just wait a year, retake, and try to get into CLS/NYU from the beginning

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 am

At least from what I've seen, if you don't constantly try to do as well as you can in law school, then you're not going to do well. Even at that, everyone else in your class is intelligent and will also be working very hard, so you need to be ready to accept that you might not be at the top of your class, even if you put more effort into law school than anything you've ever done before.

The question is also extremely odd - there's no magic cutoff where acceptance is guaranteed. Again, if you're working only to hit a specific quota, then you most likely won't hit it. Just do as well as you can, and stop by next year when you have some numbers to work with.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:58 am

Don't go to law school with the intention of transferring.

Also, if you really want NYC after graduation, Cornell will serve you better than Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Why do you need to be in NYC? Just go to Cornell and then do a year or semester at Columbia or sonething

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 am

Go to Duke man. You'll love the experience plus upstate NY sucks. If you do well and know how to network NYC is not gonna too tough to make out of Duke esp. considering alumni look out for each other.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Wed May 16, 2012 7:46 am

Retake

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 am

ran12 wrote:Go to Duke man. You'll love the experience plus upstate NY sucks. If you do well and know how to network NYC is not gonna too tough to make out of Duke esp. considering alumni look out for each other.
This is silly advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 am

These questions always crack me up. 9.5%???? How would you prepare for that? Just do your best. Hopefully you will do well enough that you can transfer. However the odds are NOT in your favor.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 am

if you are high enough at cornell to transfer to Columbia, you will be getting a biglaw job from cornell. just go to school and do well and put transferring out of your head.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 16, 2012 11:45 am

OP: Interesting LSAT scores: 169, 168 & 170 with a 3.8 GPA. Did you prepare using the same method for each of your three LSAT sittings ? Are you still on any waitlists ?

Congratulations on your Duke & Cornell acceptances.

My best guess is that top 25% with a solid reason for transferring is the minimum, but top third with a seriously ill relative needing your care might suffice (although I hope that this is not the case). Obviously, the higher your class rank, the more likely you are to be accepted as a transfer to Penn/NYU/Columbia.

Kwais makes an interesting point: If your class rank is high enough at Duke or Cornell to transfer to a T-6 law school, then you're probably leaving a lot of opportunities behind.

Ask Duke & Cornell about opportunities to study in NYC for a semester or an academic year. Check out whether or not Penn, NYU &/or Columbia permit visiting student status for third year law students from Cornell or Duke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”