Is a generic LOR okay?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lyonsoccer87

Is a generic LOR okay?

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm just wondering if a generic LOR from a professor is fine. I absolutely hate getting these things and the easiest way is just to give them the LSAC form and tell them to write a generic one that is not targeted at any school. I think that's how I did it in undergrad. Is this what everyone else does? Do ppl give each professor numerous forms and tell them to address each LOR to each school?

Sapientia

Re: Is a generic LOR okay?

Postby Sapientia » Tue May 08, 2012 2:19 pm

My profs just used a generic letter. Pretty sure you should just go the generic route, unless the professor writing for you is an alum of one of the schools you are applying to. In that case, having them write a letter specifically tailored to that school could probably help (it would need to be more than just an address change to help, though). It is useless to get them to mail a bunch of letters just to change the address.

Lyonsoccer87

Re: Is a generic LOR okay?

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the help

Return to “Transfers”