letter of rec without a grade

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfer2014

letter of rec without a grade

Postby transfer2014 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm trying to get my letters of recommendation together for my transfer application. I have one letter from a professor that I got to know decently well last summer and got a good grade in his class. My problem is with my second letter of recommendation. I don't really have a relationship with any of the other professors from my first semester. I have more of a relationship with my professors this semester (I haven't been great at making connections with professors, but its too late to fix that now). Is it weird to ask a professor from this semester who has not given me a grade to write me a leter of recommendation? If I do, should I not expect them to write it until after grades are in (possibly delaying my application)?

dbt

Re: letter of rec without a grade

Postby dbt » Fri May 04, 2012 1:28 pm

transfer2014 wrote:I'm trying to get my letters of recommendation together for my transfer application. I have one letter from a professor that I got to know decently well last summer and got a good grade in his class. My problem is with my second letter of recommendation. I don't really have a relationship with any of the other professors from my first semester. I have more of a relationship with my professors this semester (I haven't been great at making connections with professors, but its too late to fix that now). Is it weird to ask a professor from this semester who has not given me a grade to write me a leter of recommendation? If I do, should I not expect them to write it until after grades are in (possibly delaying my application)?

I think the LOR will be relatively useless if the professor doesn't know how you did in the class.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:58 pm

I don't see why you can't just ask him to write the rec as soon as he grades the exam. Professors can write LORs very quickly and have it out the door the next day, unless they aren't that concerned about your situation.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 am

I asked one professor by email and he flat out said he was busy, i emailed another and got no reply. I'm beg to panic at the prospect of not being able to get 2 LOR. it's ridiculous i know i waited a little but i didn't think it was a big deal. I just want a generic BS form letter to fill the dumb requirement. BS i have to stress about this after going through finals when these ppl get paid so much the least they can do is write a form letter for a desperate kid.

Slobberson

Postby Slobberson » Sun May 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:I asked one professor by email and he flat out said he was busy, i emailed another and got no reply. I'm beg to panic at the prospect of not being able to get 2 LOR. it's ridiculous i know i waited a little but i didn't think it was a big deal. I just want a generic BS form letter to fill the dumb requirement. BS i have to stress about this after going through finals when these ppl get paid so much the least they can do is write a form letter for a desperate kid.

Why don't you just use one from when you applied originally? I'm using one from an employer, which I would do even if I could get two professor recs since I think its important for them to know you can actually do work.

I'm also going to have to try and get one from a professor from this semester before grades come back though, since Berkeley requires 2. Are you talking about Berkeley? If so then what I'm doing is asking him to write it after he does the grades, and if my grade turns out to be bad then to just not worry about it haha. If you're close to them you can do something like that. They understand - They all went to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford so they get what you're trying to do.

Return to “Transfers”