Transferring 2x Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Transferring 2x

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Just wondering if its possible to transfer once, do well, and transfer higher if you do well enough. Of course you would re-do 2L and that would be terrible. Is this possible?

concurrent fork

Silver

Re: Transferring 2x

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

How would you transfer higher the second time? Schools evaluate transfers based on 1L grades. So even if you had great 2L grades at your new, higher ranked transfer school, you would be applying with the same 1L record from your original school.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 pm

This thread is the epitome of law student ambition.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Thu May 03, 2012 4:55 pm

No.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 03, 2012 4:58 pm

If you did well enough to transfer the first time why would you need to transfer again? This makes no sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu May 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:If you did well enough to transfer the first time why would you need to transfer again? This makes no sense.
Presumably the idea would be T1->T14->HYS?

Anyway, magic 8 ball says not likely.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri May 04, 2012 12:00 am

That sounds like a really awful idea. It can be difficult enough to explain transferring once. Imagine having to explain to employers and judges that you decided twice and were willing to redo an entire year of law school just so you could go to HYS or whatever.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 am

dbt wrote:That sounds like a really awful idea. It can be difficult enough to explain transferring once. Imagine having to explain to employers and judges that you decided twice and were willing to redo an entire year of law school just so you could go to HYS or whatever.
Just ask them where they went to lawl school. If it's not YHS tell them they attended a non-peer school.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 am

No, I believe that you have to be within a certain credit range to transfer, and once 2L is over, you can't do it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 am

Apparently it used to be possible, at least. A former dean at Berkeley Law did it.

Q: I would now like to examine why students should choose to attend Boalt. Let us first begin with why you personally chose to transfer from Boalt to Harvard Law School and then back to Boalt.

A: Well, I had done my first-year at Boalt and then, for a mix of personal and academic reasons, I transferred to Harvard Law School for my second-year. I initially thought that Boalt was a tense and competitive environment. But then when I went to Harvard Law School, I realized that Boalt was a pleasant and relaxed environment in contrast to Harvard. I may hold a record as one of the few students to transfer out of Harvard Law School, but it was the right choice.
I'd imagine if you transfer from school Y to Z but then have a compelling reason to return to Y, you can do that. But introducing a school X is probably not possible after the first transfer per ABA rules.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/berring-interview.html

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 am

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Just wondering if its possible to transfer once, do well, and transfer higher if you do well enough. Of course you would re-do 2L and that would be terrible. Is this possible?
Guys in my high school did U Illinois -> U Chicago -> Harvard all the time little breh.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 am

kaiser wrote:No, I believe that you have to be within a certain credit range to transfer, and once 2L is over, you can't do it again.
Not without having to do a 4L

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 am

Can transfer students visit at another school 3L? That would be the closest possible thing to a double transfer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 am

drmguy wrote:Can transfer students visit at another school 3L? That would be the closest possible thing to a double transfer.
Not usually. Most schools that I'm aware of require 2 years of residency at the transfer school so visiting isn't usually an option.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 am

kaiser wrote:No, I believe that you have to be within a certain credit range to transfer, and once 2L is over, you can't do it again.
There are definitely credit ranges on transfers but I'm not sure they mean "you must be in this range of credits to transfer" or "if you're accepted as a transfer, you can only bring in an amount of credits in this range." Obviously the former would make more sense. If it was the latter I'd assume they would just set a credit limit and not a range.

Some schools specifically rule out the possibility of a double transfer though:
YLS wrote:Transfer applications will be considered only between the applicant’s first and second years of law school.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh wait, I know how you could. Cooley--->Nova--->Whittier

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri May 04, 2012 1:53 pm

quiver wrote:
There are definitely credit ranges on transfers but I'm not sure they mean "you must be in this range of credits to transfer" or "if you're accepted as a transfer, you can only bring in an amount of credits in this range." Obviously the former would make more sense. If it was the latter I'd assume they would just set a credit limit and not a range.

Some schools specifically rule out the possibility of a double transfer though:
YLS wrote:Transfer applications will be considered only between the applicant’s first and second years of law school.
This is what I was talking about above -- it's theoretically possible to transfer after 2L and just sacrifice all of your 2L credits (although this is a questionable financial decision and I bet most T14s wouldn't allow it anyway). But, even if you did this, your application would presumably only be evaluated on 1L grades because (1) adcomms need to evaluate you fairly against other applicants and (2) none of your 2L credits are transferring over anyway. Since your 1L grades are from your original school, and were the basis of your original transfer application, you would seem to be in the exact same position when applying for your "second transfer" (thus conferring no advantage even if you somehow did this).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 12:58 am

...I wasn't even aware schools considered 2L transfers.... seems like it would majorly screw with Summer work, networking, etc...

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat May 05, 2012 1:00 am

I've never heard of a 2L transfer here. I think others are right: If it is possible at some schools, you'd almost certainly have to repeat 2L year in order to satisfy minimum on-campus graduation credit requirements.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 1:10 am

Oh, I have question, if OP doesn't mind a temporary hijack?

When you transfer, most obviously to a higher school, how do they gauge scholly money?

Is it based off 1L grades, LSAT, combo, or do they just basically say, "you're payin' sticker?"

Do they know the scholly money you currently have? Would they ask?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat May 05, 2012 1:32 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Oh, I have question, if OP doesn't mind a temporary hijack?

When you transfer, most obviously to a higher school, how do they gauge scholly money?

Is it based off 1L grades, LSAT, combo, or do they just basically say, "you're payin' sticker?"

Do they know the scholly money you currently have? Would they ask?
No scholly if you transfer. That's one of the things you have to balance when deciding

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 1:37 am

How in the hell can anyone pay for that? :shock: With private loans? I mean, even taking out all the fed aid you can wouldn't cover most top schools....

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat May 05, 2012 1:48 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:How in the hell can anyone pay for that? :shock: With private loans? I mean, even taking out all the fed aid you can wouldn't cover most top schools....

Grad-plus federal loans will allow you to borrow up to the school's cost of attendance so it all works.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 am

Whoa...still...

If this is the case, I know I won't be transferring unless it's to a HYS. (Which won't happen anyway) I mean, that would put over 200K!!! :shock: Damn, law school is insane...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat May 05, 2012 2:09 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Whoa...still...

If this is the case, I know I won't be transferring unless it's to a HYS. (Which won't happen anyway) I mean, that would put over 200K!!! :shock: Damn, law school is insane...
That's why transferring isn't an automatic decision. You should only transfer if the increase in job prospects is gonna be worth it. Personally I only would've transferred for HYS, but if I was coming from a TTT I definitely would've taken any T14 even if it meant two years at sticker.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”