Transfer to NU chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mr. Dink

Transfer to NU chances?

Postby Mr. Dink » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 am

1L at UIUC w/ Chicago ties. Ranked somewhere just outside the top 15% (don't know exact rank, guessing like 17%). Do I have a chance at NU? If so, how good/bad?

No need to address the merits of such a transfer. Thanks!

Snape

Re: Transfer to NU chances?

Postby Snape » Wed May 02, 2012 4:33 am

If this is U of Illinois and you are correct between 15-20% then you have a decent shot--at least good enough to merit good time spent on the App. However, how would you have a clue with spring grades still to come?

Mr. Dink

Postby Mr. Dink » Wed May 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Bump

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 8:31 pm

It'll be interesting to read of your result after applying as a transfer to NU. My best guess is that top 17% to top 20% may not be enough to move from Illinois to Northwestern--but still worth the application fee.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:28 pm

You have a good shot.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Sat May 05, 2012 6:12 pm

You have a good shot. Sorry I'm gonna discuss the merits...why do this? Unless the coasts are your target markets this is Ill advised. Why give up strong grades for the stigma that comes as a transfer. Not all transfers place well. If Chicago or the Midwest generally is your target then don't transfer.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sat May 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I'd guess you have a good shot. But UIUC is a great school. It's not clear why you'd transfer to Northwestern, as it's not a huge jump. I'd apply to Chicago too.

Mr. Dink

Postby Mr. Dink » Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:You have a good shot. Sorry I'm gonna discuss the merits...why do this? Unless the coasts are your target markets this is Ill advised. Why give up strong grades for the stigma that comes as a transfer. Not all transfers place well. If Chicago or the Midwest generally is your target then don't transfer.

w/o getting into detail: 1. family reasons 2. I want the coasts to be in play.

Also, the TLS consensus is that transfers have a pretty good placement record, often times, better than normal students.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 pm

It's hit or miss with the transfer classes. It's hard to compare to the rest of the class because you have the unemployed and less desirable jobs thrown in there. Obviously transfers with their high GPAs are going to do better. However, the transfers have BOTH done worse than the rest of the class in terms of biglaw and the sought after jobs and at times done better as a group. It's just a risk. With you wanting the coasts though, makes sense...I was just thinking (absent family reasons...) that it would be hard to explain the inevitable question during OCI as to why bother transferring if you are targeting the Chicago market. That is the one question that will come up without fail during OCI.

Side Note: Make sure you have some form of work experience during your 1L summer leading into 2L OCI (if you end up transferring). I know it's still important no matter where you attend but at NU all of the 1L's are employed during the summer preceding OCI and almost everyone has work experience coming into law school. Can put you at a significant disadvantage during OCI if you have no w/e, no 1L summer law gig, you won't know what journal you're on until after OCI, and you have a 0.00 GPA. The last one is particularly important when interviewing at the big shops (i.e. kirkland), as the big firms have 160 interview slots for the 280 law students every year and things like that can ding you real quick.

RE the TLS consensus: I am a NU transfer student...so believe me when I say this is not a guarantee that you'll place well. Individuals certainly place better. Others, while employed, definitely don't have the jobs they wanted.

Return to “Transfers”