GULC Transfer Class of 2014

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GreatNorth87
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby GreatNorth87 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:10 am

Possibly a silly question, but what is the culture like at GULC? The law school I attend now is very, very laidback (flannel and jeans are worn by students and faculty alike.) I have a friend at a different LS who claims they nearly wear suits to class and that everyone is high strung.

DuckEUG2010
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby DuckEUG2010 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:02 am

I got deferred to the reg deadline. I'm top 3% at a T4. Plan on killing finals this week and getting in the back door. Single A to the Big Leagues, here we come!

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby mr_toad » Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 am

GreatNorth87 wrote:Possibly a silly question, but what is the culture like at GULC? The law school I attend now is very, very laidback (flannel and jeans are worn by students and faculty alike.) I have a friend at a different LS who claims they nearly wear suits to class and that everyone is high strung.


Rising 2L here - at GULC people wear suits if they have an interview, otherwise standard is anything from t-shirt and shorts to shirts and jeans. Chinos/khakis are rare here except for lower key business casual receptions. In this whole year I wore a suit to school maybe three times (and that was more than some people, probably).

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jess » Fri May 11, 2012 5:55 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowDD
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby YellowDD » Sat May 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Did you have to do a seperate application for the grant?

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jess » Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zooie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby zooie » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Can you explain NeedAccess and how it works?

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jess » Tue May 15, 2012 8:47 am

.
Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7459
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby 3|ink » Wed May 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Is there some GPA minimum you need to maintain once you're in? Just got me first grade back. B-.

GreatNorth87
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby GreatNorth87 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 am

Who do we call to set up our email? I have a Netid and password but I can't log-in. Does it need activation or something?

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jess » Mon May 28, 2012 12:33 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 pm

All you people are EA admits, right? RD hasn't been announced for anyone, I think?

I'm sure you've done this in a million other places, but care to share your transfer stats (original school rank, class rank, where else applied, accepted/rejected)?

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jbiresq » Mon May 28, 2012 6:16 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:All you people are EA admits, right? RD hasn't been announced for anyone, I think?

I'm sure you've done this in a million other places, but care to share your transfer stats (original school rank, class rank, where else applied, accepted/rejected)?


T2, Top 1-2%

Applied/Accepted: GULC, USC, Wash U, U. Chicago

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon May 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Are you choosing GULC over Chicago???

User avatar
lnllnl
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby lnllnl » Mon May 28, 2012 9:33 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:Are you choosing GULC over Chicago???


Isn't Chicago binding?

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jbiresq » Mon May 28, 2012 9:55 pm

lnllnl wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:Are you choosing GULC over Chicago???


Isn't Chicago binding?


Yeah Chicago's binding and, barring the "contingent on consistent performance" thing, I'll be there (and extremely happy about it.) Though, I'm really nervous they're going to reject me so I'm thinking of still sending in the 6/1 GULC deposit.

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby mileslibertatis » Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Worried they will reject you after final grades come in? Is your school 50s, 60s? In Illinois? I have been led to believe that Chicago is verrry selective for ED.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jbiresq » Mon May 28, 2012 10:17 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:Worried they will reject you after final grades come in? Is your school 50s, 60s? In Illinois? I have been led to believe that Chicago is verrry selective for ED.


I am worried, yes, though I'm not sure if it's just an empty threat. I can't find anyone on TLS who has been denied, but there's a first for everything :cry:

It's Loyola/Kent and I honestly still think they may have accepted me by mistake. And they are very selective (they deny a good percentage of ED people and defer most of the rest.) But, unlike other schools, they do look at everything and I'm sure my PS and softs helped.

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jess » Tue May 29, 2012 6:07 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jbiresq » Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Jessuf wrote:So you already got into Chi ED or no?


I did get accepted but I'm worried about getting rejected after 2nd Semester grades so I might just use GULC as a back-up. You can get half the $800 deposit refunded, I think, after a certain amount of time.

UnleashTheHockey
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby UnleashTheHockey » Wed May 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Anybody have any information about the BlueBook exam for the write-on competition? Any idea what to expect? Timed?

mileslibertatis
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 am

My investigation in to GULC writeon is that you purchase the rights to a packet and open a 1-week window sometime in June-July, so you can pick your own slot. Last time I looked on the website the packets were not yet available. I emailed and an editor told me to wait a bit.

User avatar
jess
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby jess » Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am

.
Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatNorth87
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby GreatNorth87 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 pm

jbiresq wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:Worried they will reject you after final grades come in? Is your school 50s, 60s? In Illinois? I have been led to believe that Chicago is verrry selective for ED.


I am worried, yes, though I'm not sure if it's just an empty threat. I can't find anyone on TLS who has been denied, but there's a first for everything :cry:

It's Loyola/Kent and I honestly still think they may have accepted me by mistake. And they are very selective (they deny a good percentage of ED people and defer most of the rest.) But, unlike other schools, they do look at everything and I'm sure my PS and softs helped.


I was under the impression that if you applied to Chicago ED, then you couldn't apply anywhere else ED or EA

"If you apply Early Decision, you may not apply to any other law school through a binding early decision or early action program." http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospectives/transfer

User avatar
lnllnl
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Re: GULC Transfer Class of 2014

Postby lnllnl » Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

GreatNorth87 wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
mileslibertatis wrote:Worried they will reject you after final grades come in? Is your school 50s, 60s? In Illinois? I have been led to believe that Chicago is verrry selective for ED.


I am worried, yes, though I'm not sure if it's just an empty threat. I can't find anyone on TLS who has been denied, but there's a first for everything :cry:

It's Loyola/Kent and I honestly still think they may have accepted me by mistake. And they are very selective (they deny a good percentage of ED people and defer most of the rest.) But, unlike other schools, they do look at everything and I'm sure my PS and softs helped.


I was under the impression that if you applied to Chicago ED, then you couldn't apply anywhere else ED or EA

"If you apply Early Decision, you may not apply to any other law school through a binding early decision or early action program." http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospectives/transfer


GULC EA isn't a binding early action program...




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.