Fall Housing in DC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
donniedarko

New

Re: Fall Housing in DC

Post by donniedarko » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

TTRansfer wrote:BTW, what the hell are scam apartments?
I thnk this refers to those "too good to be true" deals you find in DC from craigslist/padmappers that aren't real...

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 pm

donniedarko wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:BTW, what the hell are scam apartments?
I thnk this refers to those "too good to be true" deals you find in DC from craigslist/padmappers that aren't real...
Ah, I hear you.

So yeah, anyone care to share a place? I mean, I wouldn't mind living in between GW and GULC, too, if I lived near a subway.

We could save a fuck ton of money doing that.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:41 pm

edit

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Figured I'd add my two cents to this thread! I went to D.C. this past weekend, and signed a lease at Gables City Vista (Google them for pictures and such). They are located in the Mt. Vernon Square neighborhood, about 3 blocks from both the Mt. Vernon Convention Metro (Green/Yelow) and the Gallery Place Chinatown Metro(Red, Green, Yellow).

The complex is absolutely gorgeous, I felt like I was touring a hotel. I was able to secure a 1/1, 619sqft apartment for $1700 including Trash and Pet Rent of $55/mo. I was lucky enough to stumble in when they had a special reducing a $1975/mo apartment to $1825, and another special for one free month of rent. I was lucky, but they run crazy specials all the time, and their studios are obviously cheaper.

The apartment has every amenity you can think of, as well as very stringent renting requirements (you need to make more than three times the monthly rent to live there), so you know that all of the residents are not just children. I was able to get in through my parents acting as a guarantor, but they didn't have to sign anything on the lease.

On the first floor of the complex there is a 24 hour HUGE Safeway (grocery store), a hardware store, 3 restaurants, and a bank. Inside the complex their is a beautiful gym, lounge, courtyard, etc. Really like a dream.

And the area? Well, 3 blocks to Gallery Place. For those of you who don't know D.C. very well, that is basically a five-seven block stretch of bars, restaurants, shops and clubs. The clientele ranges from upper class professionals to your questionable sorts, but there is literally ALWAYS at least 100 people meandering about the streets, so you're never alone walking home.

All in all, I absolutely love the place. I know it's expensive, and a bit out of some people's budgets, but if you have generous parents (like me!!) or you want to room with someone, it is definitely the place to be.

I'll end my novel now =) PM me if you have any questions!!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:06 pm

JLima2 wrote:The complex is absolutely gorgeous, I felt like I was touring a hotel. I was able to secure a 1/1, 619sqft apartment for $1700 including Trash and Pet Rent of $55/mo. I was lucky enough to stumble in when they had a special reducing a $1975/mo apartment to $1825, and another special for one free month of rent. I was lucky, but they run crazy specials all the time, and their studios are obviously cheaper.
Maybe it's just me, but that still seems just preposterously expensive for a student taking out loans. I'm looking around $1200 for a 1 bedroom; there are plenty of places on Columbia Pike in Arlington around that range with bus/metro access.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Oh have no doubt, it is insanely expensive. However, 1) My parents pay for a huge chunk of my personal expenses, so I don't have to take out loans for a lot of that, and 2) the fact that I have a dog limits my choices drastically. I saw plenty of nice, affordable apartments that I would have loved to live in, but they either straight up say no to pets or want cats only.

My list of priorities (in order of importance):
Accepts Dogs
Close to Grassy Area to be able to WALK said dog
Close to Metro
High Walkscore (No car = I need walking access to a lot of things)
Safety of commute to/from metro station (I made my walk during rush-hour, mid-day, and at midnight on a Friday. All three times, I felt perfectly safe.)

My choice was pricey, yes, but it more than satisfied all of my personal priorities, and my parents loved it enough not to complain about the price =)

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 pm

JLima2 wrote:$1825
Jesus...I feel used and abused every month I have to pay my meager $800. Then again, I wince during tax time when I look at how much I paid in payroll taxes.

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:29 pm

crossarmant wrote:
JLima2 wrote:The complex is absolutely gorgeous, I felt like I was touring a hotel. I was able to secure a 1/1, 619sqft apartment for $1700 including Trash and Pet Rent of $55/mo. I was lucky enough to stumble in when they had a special reducing a $1975/mo apartment to $1825, and another special for one free month of rent. I was lucky, but they run crazy specials all the time, and their studios are obviously cheaper.
Maybe it's just me, but that still seems just preposterously expensive for a student taking out loans. I'm looking around $1200 for a 1 bedroom; there are plenty of places on Columbia Pike in Arlington around that range with bus/metro access.
EDIT: Should have read the whole post
Last edited by jbiresq on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm

JLima2 wrote: My list of priorities (in order of importance when you're poor):
Accepts Dogs Lose the dog
Close to Grassy Area to be able to WALK said dog Make the dog walk on a dirt area or the sidewalk
Close to Metro Walk to the metro or take the bus
High Walkscore (No car = I need walking access to a lot of things) Wake up/Leave earlier and walk farther or get a bike
Safety of commute to/from metro station (I made my walk during rush-hour, mid-day, and at midnight on a Friday. All three times, I felt perfectly safe.) Use common sense, btw, Friday usually has a lot of people. Try that walk again on Tuesday.
I joke, yet I kind of don't. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around someone paying that much to live somewhere by themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm

I'd rather lose a limb than lose the dog.

My dog will not use the bathroom anywhere but on the grass. He is a very classy lady (he's a homo dog).

I am walking to the metro - three whole blocks! I'm from Florida - we don't walk, we drive. Everywhere. This is a big deal! Haha.

Wake up early? I'll wake up at 1PM, at the earliest. NOT A SECOND SOONER!

I meant to say I walked that on Thursday, not Friday. Though admittedly, Thursday is also a busy night. But regardless, I've been to D.C. before, and Gallery Place is ALWAYS bustling.

I know it's a lot of money, but let me break it down for ya - my parent's have disposable income and want me to live comfortably and safely. More often than not, THEY are the ones who push for the pricier places. Really now, who am I to turn down the wishes of parental authority? :mrgreen:

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 pm

lnllnl wrote:
JLima2 wrote: My list of priorities (in order of importance when you're poor):
Accepts Dogs Lose the dog
Close to Grassy Area to be able to WALK said dog Make the dog walk on a dirt area or the sidewalk
Close to Metro Walk to the metro or take the bus
High Walkscore (No car = I need walking access to a lot of things) Wake up/Leave earlier and walk farther or get a bike
Safety of commute to/from metro station (I made my walk during rush-hour, mid-day, and at midnight on a Friday. All three times, I felt perfectly safe.) Use common sense, btw, Friday usually has a lot of people. Try that walk again on Tuesday.
I joke, yet I kind of don't. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around someone paying that much to live somewhere by themselves.
I'm looking at places with my fiancee so it makes things easier since I only have to cover half the rent, but really I just need some place that's cat friendly, cheap, and near a metro bus or train since you can't exactly drive into GW.

GodFavor2010

New

Post by GodFavor2010 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Hello:

I hope that everyone is well. I am looking for a roommate. Can anyone shed some light on where to begin a roommate search? I am looking for a GW Law transfer or current student. I need to cut costs and a roommate will assist in that effort.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting everyone in August.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for a place that is a short(er) commute to GULC with restaurants/bars within walking distance. I want to be able to put in a killer week of studying and then walk down the street to grab a beer/bite to eat.

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:49 am

GodFavor2010 wrote: I hope that everyone is well. I am looking for a roommate. Can anyone shed some light on where to begin a roommate search? I am looking for a GW Law transfer or current student. I need to cut costs and a roommate will assist in that effort.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting everyone in August.
In the GW Transfer thread, there's a link to the transfer facebook page. You could also join the class of 2015 facebook page - lots of incoming 1Ls seem to be looking for roommates in there.
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for a place that is a short(er) commute to GULC with restaurants/bars within walking distance. I want to be able to put in a killer week of studying and then walk down the street to grab a beer/bite to eat.

Thanks!
Hmm...you could try Chinatown/Gallery Place area. 1500 Mass Ave. apartments maybe? Or Dupont Circle is always good because you can always take the red line over to Judiciary Square and its an easy commute since you don't have to transfer lines. Dupont can be a little more pricey, but then you are fairly close to both bars and school.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:39 am

Just an FYI; signed a lease yesterday at Serrano Apts on Columbia Pike in Arlington. There are a slew of moderately affordable apts along that road. Ours is a one bedroom for $1350 a month, but it's being split between my fiancee and I so it's actually quite reasonable. Columbia Pike is a pretty decent place to look since MetroBus stops are all along it and it's only about a 20 minute ride to Foggy Bottom from there.

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 am

Figured I'd bump this thread after a month.

Any GULC transfer students looking for a roommate still or looking for an apt in general? Mid-20s male, very sociable but also hard-working, and huge sports fan. Reply here or PM me

Ugh, not looking forward to this housing search.

edit: Also, when I logged onto orgsync for GULC, it didn't seem like any students had posted roommate search things in months, but maybe I'm using it wrong haha

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:23 pm

If anyone is still looking, look at The Courts at Huntington. It's right next to the Huntington Metro in Alexandria and is reasonable to split ($2400 for a 2-bedroom). It's in a VERY safe area and is about a 25 minute train ride to Foggy Bottom. I was there, and the place is gorgeous. Underground parking, huge gym, and the rooms are great. I'll be signing my lease there on the 7th it looks like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 pm

TTRansfer wrote:If anyone is still looking, look at The Courts at Huntington. It's right next to the Huntington Metro in Alexandria and is reasonable to split ($2400 for a 2-bedroom). It's in a VERY safe area and is about a 25 minute train ride to Foggy Bottom. I was there, and the place is gorgeous. Underground parking, huge gym, and the rooms are great. I'll be signing my lease there on the 7th it looks like.
Could be nice for some of the other DC schools, but door to door from Alexandria is probably a 45 minute-hour commute to GULC.

Everything's so expensive, but I'm looking at the Capitol Hill area at the moment.

Still looking for anyone with an extra room or someone who wants a roommate though

mels

New

Post by mels » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here's looking for housing near GULC? I have an apartment that is literally 1 minute away from GULC campus and I am a 2L there as well. I'm a female in my early 20s and is easy going and laid back. I have a cat who is well litter trained, sweet and well behaved, and I generally keep her in my bedroom so that she doesn't sneak out to the kitchen on a food hunt. I would appreciate if some lady is willing to take my living room (which is completely empty now, I have zero furniture there) for $1100.
$1100 for a new apartment building 1 minute to campus! Won't get any better :)

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:04 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:If anyone is still looking, look at The Courts at Huntington. It's right next to the Huntington Metro in Alexandria and is reasonable to split ($2400 for a 2-bedroom). It's in a VERY safe area and is about a 25 minute train ride to Foggy Bottom. I was there, and the place is gorgeous. Underground parking, huge gym, and the rooms are great. I'll be signing my lease there on the 7th it looks like.
Could be nice for some of the other DC schools, but door to door from Alexandria is probably a 45 minute-hour commute to GULC.

Everything's so expensive, but I'm looking at the Capitol Hill area at the moment.

Still looking for anyone with an extra room or someone who wants a roommate though
25 minute Metro train ride with the building right next door to the Metro. Possibly 45 minutes with walking back and forth from the doors to the station.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Finally rolling into town to apartment hunt. Anyone still looking for a roommate for a place that's near or an easy commute to GW and is OK with a cat, message me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Lawst wrote:Finally rolling into town to apartment hunt. Anyone still looking for a roommate for a place that's near or an easy commute to GW and is OK with a cat, message me.
FWIW, I hunted for apartments via Google Maps street view. That's how I found out about the place I will be renting from and about the other two places I was really heavily considering.

terpfan12

New

Post by terpfan12 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey,

if anyone is still looking for a roommate, I'd be interested in splitting a 2 BR with someone. I'm in my early 20's, male, pretty social but hard working, loves sports. Looking at Arlington and DC. PM me if you're interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”