Fall Housing in DC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jess

Fall Housing in DC

Post by jess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xferr

Bronze

Re: Fall Housing in DC

Post by Xferr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Jessuf wrote:So since the GWU and GULC threads are so active, I wanted to make a thread to discuss housing DC. If you find cool apartment buildings, have feedback on good neighborhoods to check out, have a room available in your apartment, or want to find people to get a place with, post here!
So that you don't have to look on Facebook and accidentally tip off your boyfriend that you're transferring? :twisted:

jess

Post by jess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Jessuf wrote:I personally am looking for a roommate or two for a place in Capitol Hill, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, Mt. Vernon, or Adams Morgan. M or F, LGBT friendly. I'm a mid-twenties female, quiet AND social, non-smoker/no drugs, about an 8/10 on the clean scale, respectful of personal space, and I have two adorable small dogs (one of whom is pictured in my tar). Looking to spend as little as possible but preferably $1100 or less per bedroom.

I'd love to live with other people like transfer students who are new to the area since I don't know anybody in DC and am only visiting the city for the first time in May. It would be great to have people who are looking to become friends with their roommates and not just hide in their bedrooms.

PM me if you have a place or want to look together! I know it's early, but I'd like to find something ASAP so I'm not rushing at the end of the summer.
Those are some really expensive neighborhoods you listed. Bloomingdale is cheaper. It's along the 80 bus route that takes you GULC. It's a quiet, quaint neighborhood but close enough that you can walk to U St. Also near the G2 if you want to go to Logan Circle and Dupont. Mt. Pleasant is a nice alternative to Columbia Heights. Or Petworth. If you're sensitive to crime, there really are no places immune from everything. But have fun fighting for housing with summer interns who come in droves to DC and the undergrads of 4-5 colleges in the fall.

If you don't drive, you'll want to live near metro stations or bus routes. If you do drive, you'll want to get DC plates and license right away. They will ticket you for parking on the streets w/o DC plates and it's not cheap. (Once you get a license, they will be calling you for jury duty pretty quickly. You cannot get out. If you have kids, they have childcare...)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Jessuf wrote:
lnllnl wrote:
Those are some really expensive neighborhoods you listed. Bloomingdale is cheaper. It's along the 80 bus route that takes you GULC. It's a quiet, quaint neighborhood but close enough that you can walk to U St. Also near the G2 if you want to go to Logan Circle and Dupont. Mt. Pleasant is a nice alternative to Columbia Heights. Or Petworth. If you're sensitive to crime, there really are no places immune from everything. But have fun fighting for housing with summer interns who come in droves to DC and the undergrads of 4-5 colleges in the fall.

If you don't drive, you'll want to live near metro stations or bus routes. If you do drive, you'll want to get DC plates and license right away. They will ticket you for parking on the streets w/o DC plates and it's not cheap. (Once you get a license, they will be calling you for jury duty pretty quickly. You cannot get out. If you have kids, they have childcare...)
Thanks for the info. I don't have a car. I won't be fighting with summer interns, but I will be fighting with everyone who starts school in the fall. I'd honestly prefer to move into a place that is already established with just a room open, but those are pretty non-existent in the areas I like on craigslist.
One thing my fiancee and I have found about DC is that their Craigslist is near to useless for finding housing. It's all chock full of fraud ads, place well away from the District, mislabeled things, and just all around poor organization. I'm not quite sure what we're going to do for finding housing, probably ask some of our local friends for suggestions. When I have a more firm idea, I can give more information.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
lnllnl wrote:

Thanks for the info. I don't have a car. I won't be fighting with summer interns, but I will be fighting with everyone who starts school in the fall. I'd honestly prefer to move into a place that is already established with just a room open, but those are pretty non-existent in the areas I like on craigslist.
One thing my fiancee and I have found about DC is that their Craigslist is near to useless for finding housing. It's all chock full of fraud ads, place well away from the District, mislabeled things, and just all around poor organization. I'm not quite sure what we're going to do for finding housing, probably ask some of our local friends for suggestions. When I have a more firm idea, I can give more information.
padmapper.com Also, if it seems too cheap for the neighborhood, it's probably fake.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

I figure that I'll probably need a roommate to keep my expenses low. I have a cat - a very laid back one who just eats and sleeps all day. I'm in my 30s and I'm not the partying kind. I don't have a car so I'll need to live near public transportation. Oh, and I'm a girl. If this sounds roommie compatible, PM me.
I've heard that Arlington is a slightly cheaper option for GW. Anything along the blue or orange lines is supposed to be good for commuting there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Jessuf wrote:So since the GWU and GULC threads are so active, I wanted to make a thread to discuss housing DC. If you find cool apartment buildings, have feedback on good neighborhoods to check out, have a room available in your apartment, or want to find people to get a place with, post here!
Are you for sure decided on GULC? I randomly remember you saying you were top of your class at a TTT (should be competitive for T6). Is DC the only market you would even consider?

jess

Post by jess » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:09 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 am

Jessuf wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
Are you for sure decided on GULC? I randomly remember you saying you were top of your class at a TTT (should be competitive for T6). Is DC the only market you would even consider?
No. I'm interested in DC, NYC, or certain CA markets (San Francisco, San Diego). I'm also going to apply to Berkeley, NYU, CLS. However, I think my chances are pretty nil at those schools. I don't think my rank will maintain after this semester.

Also, I got deferred from every T30 school I applied to except for GULC. So I think my acceptance to GULC is more of a fluke and not really that indicative of which T14 schools I can get into RD.
Hedge as you will, but I think you underestimate your chances. I know several TTT students that were accepted to T6 and one at HLS. You shouldn't really think of T30 EAs as a proxy for RD transfer odds (what does that even include? Wustl? and who knows/cares what they were thinking?)

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:07 am

If I end up at GW...

I am a mid 20s male.

I have a car so I need a place with a garage or parking of some sort.

More than willing to share a room (and might even prefer it).

I am not messy but will probably have an organized clutter in my own room but not the common area (i.e. I keep my books out too often but pick shit up and throw it away and do dishes, etc.).

More than willing to room with a dude, with a girl, etc. Want someone drama free who doesn't party and preferably who doesn't smoke inside (don't care if you smoke outside). Also want someone who is going to be pretty quiet and allow me to study (obviously).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:13 pm

I am necro'ing this thread now that I'm certain that I'm transferring to GW. I am looking for something in DC or at least near a Metro stop for the blue or orange lines. I don't have a car.
I think I can afford those locations only if I do the roommate thing, so here goes: I'm a non-trad in my 30s, female, have a cat (who does nothing but sleep and eat), very quiet, non-smoker. PM me if you're also looking for a share.

DJ5

New

Post by DJ5 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I'll be at GW in the fall, definitely looking for a roommate. Only thing I need is to pay less than 1200 a month, be near the metro, and walking distance from bars. I'm looking at the Adams Morgan, Dupont circle, other places near those neighborhoods, and also the Crystal City area.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 am

Start searching early, guys. The DC housing market is terrible for renters. If you are going for a place in a popular area, you'll have to commit immediately. It took me a few months to find a place. Each time an open house was advertised on Craigslist, people would show up with checkbooks 30 minutes before.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 am

shock259 wrote:Start searching early, guys. The DC housing market is terrible for renters. If you are going for a place in a popular area, you'll have to commit immediately. It took me a few months to find a place. Each time an open house was advertised on Craigslist, people would show up with checkbooks 30 minutes before.
Sounds like New York. But hopefully DC doesn't have the insane broker's fee. The twist for me is that my summer internship is 1,200 miles away.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am

I'm worried about securing housing because I have no income this summer and am flat broke until I get my financial aid refund. Which usually doesn't come to you until the first week of classes... so it makes securing housing almost impossible...

DJ5

New

Post by DJ5 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Just secured an apartment. Crossarmant, PM me if you need a futon to crash on for a couple days while you await refund/apartment search

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:43 pm

DJ5 wrote:Just secured an apartment. Crossarmant, PM me if you need a futon to crash on for a couple days while you await refund/apartment search
That was fast. How did you go about it and did you go in person? I'm facing a logistical headache in trying to figure this one out from where I am this summer.

DJ5

New

Post by DJ5 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I went on the rental sites and looked around metro stations. Trulia is a good site (but they have alot of scam apartments listed). Apartmentshowcase.com was the most helpful. I'm in NY right now but my buddy goes to American Law and was kind enough to scope them out. I trust his judgment so when he looked at an apartment the other day and told me to pull the trigger I did. 1300/month with all utilities, cant complain. Piece of advice: deal with a broker/realtor run listing, dealing with owners is a goddamn headache.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm going to go down the weekend after next, I believe, to look at some places.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:41 pm

BTW, what the hell are scam apartments?

GodFavor2010

New

Post by GodFavor2010 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Crossarmant, I totally understand your situation. I feel the same way.
crossarmant wrote:I'm worried about securing housing because I have no income this summer and am flat broke until I get my financial aid refund. Which usually doesn't come to you until the first week of classes... so it makes securing housing almost impossible...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”