The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymouse2828

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby anonymouse2828 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:09 am

Then you'd have to re-schedule one, or if not possible, then that would probably be valid grounds for cancelling an interview. Are regional interviews at a specific location? or are they at the firm? if at the firm, you can probably reschedule to the next day or one day earlier. Have fun w/ redeye flights. That's the risk you take by bidding w/o considering interview dates and logistics.

JLima2

Postby JLima2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:20 am

From the Interview Appointment Policy we sign for OCI:

Students will not be excused from signing up for and attending an interview because they have too many scheduled in one day and/or a conflict unless a staff member in the Career Development Office approves the cancellation.

The Career Development Office will excuse students from scheduling and attending an interview under the following circumstances: 1) the student has accepted a job offer or 2) there is a conflict of interest with the interviewer or firm (deemed legitimate by CDO). Students attempting to cancel an interview must contact the CDO prior to contacting the employer.

Students must notify the Career Development Office, via email or letter, at least three days prior to the actual interview if one of the above criteria applies to them. It is also recommended that students who cancel a scheduled interview with an employer write a letter of regret as soon as possible. If a student fails to contact the CDO at least three business days prior to the actual interview, he/she will not be excused from the interview under any circumstances except for a serious illness.

So, even if you have a conflict of interviews, you better be contacting CDO on July 30th at 9:01AM (assuming they post the schedule at 9AM).

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:36 am

Last edited by jarofsoup on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JLima2

Postby JLima2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:44 am

Who knows what we will get until the 30th. I tell everyone "I may or may not be in NYC on the 10th, so don't count on my doing anything. But yes, I'll go out with you." It leaves people confused....but I leave doors open!

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 am

Welp, struck out completely with Philly and New York. Not feeling confident about the larger OCI bids.

DJ5

Postby DJ5 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

Same... what a shit way to start the day. Not even a single alternate.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 am

Struck out completely in NYC, but got a few in Philly. To be fair, my TT transfer school was in the Philadelphia region. Though, the complete strike out in NYC makes me feel a little shaky for the rest of GW's OCI.

Also, I looked at the OCI list of my bids and I had used up all 35 of my bids, however when I look at it now, it says that I've only used 34 bids. I can't seem to figure out which ones is missing now or why.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:47 am

Got a few in Philly and one in NY.

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 am

Got two in NYC.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 am

crossarmant wrote:Struck out completely in NYC, but got a few in Philly. To be fair, my TT transfer school was in the Philadelphia region. Though, the complete strike out in NYC makes me feel a little shaky for the rest of GW's OCI.

Also, I looked at the OCI list of my bids and I had used up all 35 of my bids, however when I look at it now, it says that I've only used 34 bids. I can't seem to figure out which ones is missing now or why.

Maybe one of the firms cancelled their OCI schedule?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 am

Good luck, guys - I'm glad that other transfers are getting interviews. To be fair, I'm an EA admit whose grades kinda tanked in spring, so I have only a 3.3 gpa from my TT. Plus, I'm a non-trad who wants to go into public interest, so my age and PI focus may also be working against me.
The only market that I really have ties to is New York - the only market that gives zero fucks about ties. Eh.

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 am

So I got one interview in a Philly firm with multiple office locations. Are the locations preselect as well? B/c it lists an office that wasn't on the original bid list and then lists the others. Is that the office I'm only being considered for?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 am

When do the OCI bids come out? Is it the 7th or something? I forget. I pretty much avoided all of DC in my OCI bids and bid on firms for areas I had somewhat ties with.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 am

TTRansfer wrote:When do the OCI bids come out? Is it the 7th or something? I forget. I pretty much avoided all of DC in my OCI bids and bid on firms for areas I had somewhat ties with.

I believe its the 7th, at least that's what it says in Symplicity. August 7th 9am-5pm is Pre-Select Sign-Up.

As to the DC bidding, I acted fairly similarly, I did about 50% DC, 50% elsewhere. All the talk of how cutthroat DC was made me fearful and stuck with more conservative bids. I hope this doesn't bite me.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 am

I have like 3 DC bids out of my 35.

Edit: Just looked. 8 of my bids are DC firms. Not really counting any of the multiple office firms as DC firms, since I generally had DC lower on the list at those (made sure to see which offices hired the most, etc.).
Last edited by TTRansfer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 am

I ended up bidding heavily DC by default because I refuse to leave the East Coast. I'm pretty screwed.

And yes, it's Aug. 7. I checked this morning. Also, don't forget to send in that OCI interview policy agreement form if you haven't already - it's due Friday.

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:33 am

-

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:52 am

When are we supposed to be issued our GW emails?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:16 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:When are we supposed to be issued our GW emails?

At some point in the next few weeks the admit portal becomes the regular law portal and you should be able to access your email there. Seems like the username you have for the admit portal is your email.

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 am

Ah ok thanks. My journal editor seemed surprised I didn't have one yet.

auds1008

Postby auds1008 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:02 pm

what is the information on orientation? i know it's on 8/14 but where and what time? also what attire? i can't seem to find any information on it.

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:54 pm

There's a preliminary schedule posted on the orientation site. Log into the GW Law portal, go to the orientation site, and select "orientation schedules."

Orientation (plus evening student advising sessions) runs 4:00-9:00 pm. I don't believe there'a a dress code, but I could be wrong. No need for a suit, but don't wear shorts and flip flops.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:19 pm

daagermy1 wrote:There's a preliminary schedule posted on the orientation site. Log into the GW Law portal, go to the orientation site, and select "orientation schedules."

Orientation (plus evening student advising sessions) runs 4:00-9:00 pm. I don't believe there'a a dress code, but I could be wrong. No need for a suit, but don't wear shorts and flip flops.

I don't see a reason to NOT wear shorts in August in DC if I'm not at an interview.

JLima2

Postby JLima2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 am

daagermy1 wrote:here's a preliminary schedule posted on the orientation site. Log into the GW Law portal, go to the orientation site, and select "orientation schedules."

Not necessarily. Orientation at my old school was two and a half days, with full on business attire on day one (for professionalism series and ID pictures), and the rest was business casual (a lot of people continued to wear suits anyways).

However, my old school was a joke, and loved spending all of the money we paid on completely pointless and unnecessary shit. Hence why I'm at GW now. Hurray! :mrgreen:

I'd hold off on prepping the suit, but I still anticipate Business Casual.

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am

JLima2 wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:here's a preliminary schedule posted on the orientation site. Log into the GW Law portal, go to the orientation site, and select "orientation schedules."

Not necessarily. Orientation at my old school was two and a half days, with full on business attire on day one (for professionalism series and ID pictures), and the rest was business casual (a lot of people continued to wear suits anyways).

However, my old school was a joke, and loved spending all of the money we paid on completely pointless and unnecessary shit. Hence why I'm at GW now. Hurray! :mrgreen:

I'd hold off on prepping the suit, but I still anticipate Business Casual.

Sorry. To clarify, I am a GW transfer student and went through orientation last summer. I was coming from work and wore a button-down and blazer, but many didn't as I recall.

Return to “Transfers”