The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrslaw2014
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby mrslaw2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm

lnllnl wrote:
auds1008 wrote:
lnllnl wrote:Well shit, I may just be tired and loopy, but my status checker now does not list my LOR and I have 3 unchecked boxes on the requirement list for LOR, personal statement, and resume... Was it always like that? (I'm an EA deferree)


that's funny. same thing happened to me with the 3 unchecked and newly added boxes for LOR, PS and resume. I do still have my LORs though. What is going on??? :shock:


Messing with us man...



Same boat. 3.6, top 10%, Tier I. Status hasn't changed since 6/18. When I called and asked when they will give a decision, I was told "There is no deadline."

User avatar
lnllnl
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby lnllnl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 pm

littlelawyer wrote:
lnllnl wrote:
littlelawyer wrote:anyone hear anything today?


This waiting sucks. I should have applied to George Mason too. Two of my classmates got in and my GPA is in between them.


cant think that way! you'll drive yourself crazy. just have to try to stay calm and positive. annoying but its all any of us waiting can do.


I know man. Gotta think positive! GW will email me Friday! I can feel it...But then I went to class and found out two more classmates from my TTTT got into GMU, for a total of 4. And I know I had better grades than 3 out of 4 of them.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 am

I really hope y'all here something before the Philly/NY/etc. regional deadline passes (16th).

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby Lawst » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47 am

Has anyone gotten a financial aid award letter yet? I know we're transfers, but we're about six weeks away from the start of classes, so it seems kinda late in the process.
I also haven't received word yet of how many credits they're accepting. I mean, I've been in since early April and got my spring grades to them a month ago.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby anonymouse2828 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:13 am

Financial aid awards? we're all taking out loans anyways. What financial aid awards? it's not hard to just pull out the max loan, provided your fafsa is turned in and submitted to GWU, and you filled out the financial aid application for GWU.

As for credits, max is 28 units, which I think will be evaluated when you arrive for orientation.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:55 am

Lawst wrote:Has anyone gotten a financial aid award letter yet? I know we're transfers, but we're about six weeks away from the start of classes, so it seems kinda late in the process.
I also haven't received word yet of how many credits they're accepting. I mean, I've been in since early April and got my spring grades to them a month ago.

Shoot an email to the financial aid office. They're pretty backed up so if you alert them to your plight they'll place you in the front on the line. I did so. There's this second GW specific form you have to fill out, takes all of like 2 minutes. Got mine all squared up Monday.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 am

crossarmant wrote:
Lawst wrote:Has anyone gotten a financial aid award letter yet? I know we're transfers, but we're about six weeks away from the start of classes, so it seems kinda late in the process.
I also haven't received word yet of how many credits they're accepting. I mean, I've been in since early April and got my spring grades to them a month ago.

Shoot an email to the financial aid office. They're pretty backed up so if you alert them to your plight they'll place you in the front on the line. I did so. There's this second GW specific form you have to fill out, takes all of like 2 minutes. Got mine all squared up Monday.


Where is that form at?

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby dudders » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 am

Lawst wrote:Has anyone gotten a financial aid award letter yet? I know we're transfers, but we're about six weeks away from the start of classes, so it seems kinda late in the process.
I also haven't received word yet of how many credits they're accepting. I mean, I've been in since early April and got my spring grades to them a month ago.


Continuing students just got theirs yesterday, FYI. This isn't "late" for GW.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby anonymouse2828 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

TTRansfer wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
Lawst wrote:Has anyone gotten a financial aid award letter yet? I know we're transfers, but we're about six weeks away from the start of classes, so it seems kinda late in the process.
I also haven't received word yet of how many credits they're accepting. I mean, I've been in since early April and got my spring grades to them a month ago.

Shoot an email to the financial aid office. They're pretty backed up so if you alert them to your plight they'll place you in the front on the line. I did so. There's this second GW specific form you have to fill out, takes all of like 2 minutes. Got mine all squared up Monday.


Where is that form at?


Login to GW Portal, it should be there. Otherwise, from Financial Aid's page, or included as an attachment in an email. You can always email them w/ a request for a copy, but I'm pretty sure it's online somewhere.

littlelawyer
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby littlelawyer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

so is it true that the committee is meeting today and so likely many people will be hearing this afternoon/today?

User avatar
lnllnl
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby lnllnl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 am

littlelawyer wrote:so is it true that the committee is meeting today and so likely many people will be hearing this afternoon/today?


I think they meet Thursdays, but you might not hear anything until tomorrow. Past Friday, might be another week of waiting...

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am

lnllnl wrote:
littlelawyer wrote:so is it true that the committee is meeting today and so likely many people will be hearing this afternoon/today?


I think they meet Thursdays, but you might not hear anything until tomorrow. Past Friday, might be another week of waiting...

If you get pushed off that far, I'd seriously reconsider depositing since OCI ends next Friday and regionals end Monday. I mean, still a fair amount of opportunity compared to TTT-TTTTs but a good shot at a lot of firms will be harder.

User avatar
lnllnl
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby lnllnl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

crossarmant wrote:
lnllnl wrote:
littlelawyer wrote:so is it true that the committee is meeting today and so likely many people will be hearing this afternoon/today?


I think they meet Thursdays, but you might not hear anything until tomorrow. Past Friday, might be another week of waiting...

If you get pushed off that far, I'd seriously reconsider depositing since OCI ends next Friday and regionals end Monday. I mean, still a fair amount of opportunity compared to TTT-TTTTs but a good shot at a lot of firms will be harder.


I'm a PT student. It doesn't matter to me about this OCI stuff. I was skimming GW's OCI manual for employers and itt didn't seem like a lot of 2E's participate. Firms also had the option of requesting that 2E's be removed from their lists.

auds1008
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:57 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby auds1008 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 am

lnllnl wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
lnllnl wrote:
littlelawyer wrote:so is it true that the committee is meeting today and so likely many people will be hearing this afternoon/today?


I think they meet Thursdays, but you might not hear anything until tomorrow. Past Friday, might be another week of waiting...

If you get pushed off that far, I'd seriously reconsider depositing since OCI ends next Friday and regionals end Monday. I mean, still a fair amount of opportunity compared to TTT-TTTTs but a good shot at a lot of firms will be harder.


I'm a PT student. It doesn't matter to me about this OCI stuff. I was skimming GW's OCI manual for employers and itt didn't seem like a lot of 2E's participate. Firms also had the option of requesting that 2E's be removed from their lists.



i'm in the exact same situation.. fingers crossed!! DC metro area just has way too many IP jobs waiting to get filled up.

terpfan12
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby terpfan12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Is it possible to start OCI/bidding and then subsequently withdraw? Because the deadlines are the 16th and 20th and I want to know what to do if I haven't heard back from the other schools I still have applications out to by the 20th. Thanks!

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:35 pm

terpfan12 wrote:Is it possible to start OCI/bidding and then subsequently withdraw? Because the deadlines are the 16th and 20th and I want to know what to do if I haven't heard back from the other schools I still have applications out to by the 20th. Thanks!



I am pretty sure that GWU will boot you from their OCI if you withdraw.

littlelawyer
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby littlelawyer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:40 pm

this suspense is killing me.

sherlock10
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby sherlock10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Like many of you, I am still waiting for a decision from GW. I am worried even if I get in, I might miss the deadline for Fall OCI bidding. If I were to miss the deadline, isn't it still possible to register for Spring OCI? Also, I want to have a government job. If that is the case, is it that important to participate in Fall OCI? GW seems to have government/public agencies fairs later in the year.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 pm

sherlock10 wrote:Like many of you, I am still waiting for a decision from GW. I am worried even if I get in, I might miss the deadline for Fall OCI bidding. If I were to miss the deadline, isn't it still possible to register for Spring OCI? Also, I want to have a government job. If that is the case, is it that important to participate in Fall OCI? GW seems to have government/public agencies fairs later in the year.

I imagine you'd still be okay for Spring OCI, but Fall OCI has the DC and regional components which have like 250 employers whereas the Spring OCI has like 30.

sherlock10
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby sherlock10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 pm

crossarmant wrote:
sherlock10 wrote:Like many of you, I am still waiting for a decision from GW. I am worried even if I get in, I might miss the deadline for Fall OCI bidding. If I were to miss the deadline, isn't it still possible to register for Spring OCI? Also, I want to have a government job. If that is the case, is it that important to participate in Fall OCI? GW seems to have government/public agencies fairs later in the year.

I imagine you'd still be okay for Spring OCI, but Fall OCI has the DC and regional components which have like 250 employers whereas the Spring OCI has like 30.


Do you know if AirForce/Navy/Army JAG Offices and DA's Office participate in OCI? If not, I am not that interest in participating in OCI anyway.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby anonymouse2828 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:22 pm

military depts do participate, but it looks like they're interviewing for civillian positions. If you're interested in JAG, you can apply at any time directly. You really should have looked into the JAG PLC program earlier though.

sherlock10
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby sherlock10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 pm

anonymouse2828 wrote:military depts do participate, but it looks like they're interviewing for civillian positions. If you're interested in JAG, you can apply at any time directly. You really should have looked into the JAG PLC program earlier though.


What is the JAG PLC?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm

JAG recruiting is not done through OCI. They may come for informational interviews during OCI, but they aren't sitting down with you for 20 minutes, looking at your resume, then hiring you.

Check out the branch JAG websites for more information.

sherlock10
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby sherlock10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for replying. I guess my ultimate (and hopefully the last) question would be is it worth going to GW even though I won't be able to participate in Fall OCI (especially when all you are interested is JAG and government positions)?

mrslaw2014
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Postby mrslaw2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm

In via e-ma tonight at 8:30. FINALLY. Found out Tuesday my application was marked incomplete due to an administrative error- went complete Tuesday and just found out.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.