The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolz67

New

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Post by lawschoolz67 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:15 pm

anyone know how we can get to our GW email??

ben2587

New

Post by ben2587 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 am

lawschoolz67 wrote:anyone know how we can get to our GW email??
I would also like to know this... Perhaps after the deposit is received?

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:03 pm

For those of you who applied for RD and received an acceptance, would you be so kind to share when your applications turned to "Application Complete" and how long after you received the acceptance?

My application was completed on 6/26 and I just called this morning to ask about my status but they said they will get back to me in a week or two. I don't know how I should feel :? :?

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:10 pm

auds1008 wrote:For those of you who applied for RD and received an acceptance, would you be so kind to share when your applications turned to "Application Complete" and how long after you received the acceptance?

My application was completed on 6/26 and I just called this morning to ask about my status but they said they will get back to me in a week or two. I don't know how I should feel :? :?
I went complete on 7/3 and then was told that the committee was meeting on Thursday (7/5). So 1-2 weeks is a slow turnaround...I was hoping to hear back today or tomorrow. Le sigh...

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Well shit, I may just be tired and loopy, but my status checker now does not list my LOR and I have 3 unchecked boxes on the requirement list for LOR, personal statement, and resume... Was it always like that? (I'm an EA deferree)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:58 pm

lnllnl wrote:Well shit, I may just be tired and loopy, but my status checker now does not list my LOR and I have 3 unchecked boxes on the requirement list for LOR, personal statement, and resume... Was it always like that? (I'm an EA deferree)
that's funny. same thing happened to me with the 3 unchecked and newly added boxes for LOR, PS and resume. I do still have my LORs though. What is going on??? :shock:

acw1213

New

Post by acw1213 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 pm

opX wrote:
Lawst wrote:Also, keep in mind that CDOs at law schools around the country are staffed with JDs who aren't working as attorneys, so I think most CDOs are depressing. I always found that to be an interesting flaw. Hey, JD who couldn't get a legal job, could you please give me some tips on finding a legal job? :lol:
ha true - i was more disappointed with the person's antiquated and generic advice.
Yep. If you don't have a bid list written out and very specific questions on the firms, then you're not going to get much feedback on how to bid, I found.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 pm

auds1008 wrote:
lnllnl wrote:Well shit, I may just be tired and loopy, but my status checker now does not list my LOR and I have 3 unchecked boxes on the requirement list for LOR, personal statement, and resume... Was it always like that? (I'm an EA deferree)
that's funny. same thing happened to me with the 3 unchecked and newly added boxes for LOR, PS and resume. I do still have my LORs though. What is going on??? :shock:
Messing with us man...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:01 am

FWIW, I never got an application status message from GWU. This was my timetable:

5/30 sent in my app via LSAC
6/14 Final grades posted, and transcript request sent to home school for 24hr turnaround processing
6/21 notified of acceptance "in time for journal write-on," w/ seat deposit deadline of 6/29
6/28 date my dean's letter of good standing w/ class rank went out to all my transfer app schools
7/6 I got my seat deposit extended to this date, ended up submitting seat deposit a few days prior

I think they do batched of acceptances after each seat deposit deadline, which is why the committee meets on Thursdays. I think they need to finalize the list of acceptances to send out on Fri, take out any withdrawn apps, and insert any new apps. It almost seems like they have batches, or lists of people they send acceptances to, which would explain why there are so many different seat deposit dates and why they're so early.

littlelawyer

New

Post by littlelawyer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 pm

i went complete 7/2 but thats it. any thoughts on when i should expect to hear? am i understanding it right that the committee only meets on thursday? thats such crap, if you ask me.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Had a meeting with the CDO, I dont know what counselors you guys had but mine was incredibly helpful. They helped critique all of my documents, told me what avenues to play up, gave me timelines and priorities lists, etc. Went through my bid-list and helped out a ton on where to apply and which are feasible and which may be long-shots and others that may be some easy base-hits. Incredibly helpful, way more so than the old school.

littlelawyer

New

Post by littlelawyer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:35 pm

for whoever was accepted, aside from an acceptance email, does the status checker change to reflect whether you were admitted or not or does it just continue to say "application complete"?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Whelp, someone on another thread said they went complete on 6/30 and was admitted on 7/6. Guess I didn't pass muster during the last committee meeting. Maybe this week. Or maybe I'll get off the GULC waitlist and save myself some deposit money. I'd rather drop the deposit money as a backup...

littlelawyer

New

Post by littlelawyer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:36 pm

do we know when they have to let us know by?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:48 pm

littlelawyer wrote:do we know when they have to let us know by?
The 16th is the deadline for submitting materials for the Philly and NY regional interviews. July 20th is the deadline for submitting bids for OCI. So I would say the deadline would have to be the end of this week. Otherwise, you miss out in OCI. I'm sure that they will continue giving acceptances AFTER that date, but anyone would be a moron to skip OCI.

littlelawyer

New

Post by littlelawyer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:50 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
littlelawyer wrote:do we know when they have to let us know by?
The 16th is the deadline for submitting materials for the Philly and NY regional interviews. July 20th is the deadline for submitting bids for OCI. So I would say the deadline would have to be the end of this week. Otherwise, you miss out in OCI. I'm sure that they will continue giving acceptances AFTER that date, but anyone would be a moron to skip OCI.
oh wow! i didn't even realize that -- i keep forgetting its july. clerking is kicking my ass. well fingers crossed for everyone! hoepfully we can all let each other know when we hear to give everyone a better idea of when to expect decisions!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

terpfan12

New

Post by terpfan12 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

For those who have been admitted, how do you get access to Symplicity? I've already submitted my deposit and they gave me a GW ID #

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm

terpfan12 wrote:For those who have been admitted, how do you get access to Symplicity? I've already submitted my deposit and they gave me a GW ID #
email eeculbertson@law.gwu.edu She gave everyone the FRP links.

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 am

crossarmant wrote:
terpfan12 wrote:For those who have been admitted, how do you get access to Symplicity? I've already submitted my deposit and they gave me a GW ID #
email eeculbertson@law.gwu.edu She gave everyone the FRP links.
FYI, there are TWO symplicity sites, one for OCI, and one for regional interviews. You'll need to specifically request for both of them. When I requested for access, I only got OCI access. You will also need to sign and return an interview commitment form in order to participate in OCI or regional interviews.

Also, for those interested, GW's OCI gives you 35bids, all bids are sent at the same time to employers, who then choose which students they want to interview. Place your bids strategically/conservatively. Many employers have rank/gpa/journal requirements, but I'm not sure how that affects transfers.

Regional has no bid limit, but if you get an interview, you are required to attend... meaning you pay your own flight/hotel to attend.

littlelawyer

New

Post by littlelawyer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:35 pm

anyone hear anything today?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Any journal movement?

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:45 pm

littlelawyer wrote:anyone hear anything today?
This waiting sucks. I should have applied to George Mason too. Two of my classmates got in and my GPA is in between them.

littlelawyer

New

Post by littlelawyer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:46 pm

lnllnl wrote:
littlelawyer wrote:anyone hear anything today?
This waiting sucks. I should have applied to George Mason too. Two of my classmates got in and my GPA is in between them.
cant think that way! you'll drive yourself crazy. just have to try to stay calm and positive. annoying but its all any of us waiting can do.

acw1213

New

Post by acw1213 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”