The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawst

Silver

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Post by Lawst » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 pm

So, uh, I thought our orientation was just one day, but now that I look at the schedule online, it seems there are events on Wednesday and Thursday, too. I was planning to leave town Wednesday morning to finish up my move, but things like IDs, locker rentals, etc. sound kinda important.

Edited to add link to the schedule.
--LinkRemoved--

Also, I guess this means we're not all assigned lockers, which is super lame.

DJ5

New

Post by DJ5 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Got con law, corporations, international business transactions, litigation w/ the federal gov, and evidence. And, by complete chance, wound up with Fridays off. Awwww yeaaaa

acw1213

New

Post by acw1213 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ben2587

New

Post by ben2587 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:10 am

Lawst wrote:So, uh, I thought our orientation was just one day, but now that I look at the schedule online, it seems there are events on Wednesday and Thursday, too. I was planning to leave town Wednesday morning to finish up my move, but things like IDs, locker rentals, etc. sound kinda important.

Edited to add link to the schedule.
--LinkRemoved--

Also, I guess this means we're not all assigned lockers, which is super lame.
Thank you for the link. This makes it much easier. I got Corporations, U.S Foreign relations, Int'l Trade, Racism & Law, upper legal writing.

I can't believe it's already time for orientation!

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 am

It just occurred to me... if we have classes that we need to take, such as ConLaw I, or part II of another 1L class... then classes would start on the 20th, with all the other 1L's?? or if it's a night class w/ the 2L p/t students (ie conlaw I w/ p/t students), then do we start on 27th or 20th?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 am

anonymouse2828 wrote:It just occurred to me... if we have classes that we need to take, such as ConLaw I, or part II of another 1L class... then classes would start on the 20th, with all the other 1L's?? or if it's a night class w/ the 2L p/t students (ie conlaw I w/ p/t students), then do we start on 27th or 20th?
Good catch, I would have never know. They addressed that at Orientation - you would be starting on the 20th, since it's a 1L class.

Boo :(

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello to all the new GW Law transfer students! For those of you interested in patent law, pm me if you're interested in a training program to get practical patent prosecution and litigation skills. I transferred last year and did the training program. I found it very helpful, and it was a central talking point at virtually all of my interviews at Loyola.

This is not spam. I'm just trying to help out fellow transfers to GW.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:40 pm

acw1213 wrote:Family law, evidence, prof. responsibility, criminal procedure.

Do we really have to come back all week? ID's look like the only real important thing and I was hoping we would do that tomorrow... :|
I'm in all of those except prof res. I assume Pierce for Evidence since Kerr and Saltzburg have been closed for a while now, but who knows. And you taking Rosen for crim pro by any chance?

Sorry...I was using the search feature and this came up and I thought it was funny. not a transfer...disregard

But anyway, all of you should feel free to pm me if you have GW questions. I'll do my best to answer them or direct you to someone who can.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I just wanted to drop by and welcome all of the transfers. If you don't get your ID on the day they tell you to, you can pick it up at any time...really. You only need it to get into the library or the building after 7 pm.

If anyone has any questions about GW, PM me.

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:15 am

JLima2 wrote:
anonymouse2828 wrote:It just occurred to me... if we have classes that we need to take, such as ConLaw I, or part II of another 1L class... then classes would start on the 20th, with all the other 1L's?? or if it's a night class w/ the 2L p/t students (ie conlaw I w/ p/t students), then do we start on 27th or 20th?
Good catch, I would have never know. They addressed that at Orientation - you would be starting on the 20th, since it's a 1L class.

Boo :(
I believe this was clarified, since p/t students take Conlaw the fall of their 2nd year, this class wold start on the 27th. :-) one more week of pseudo-vacation!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am

Woo! Just got into Kerr's Evidence class.

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 pm

i have been really busy these days with moving and interviews and i forgot all about the locker and used book sale. if anybody could be so kind to answer my questions, i would greatly appreciate it.

are the lockers on campus mandatory? and are they only available through SBA? and would i still be able to request for one next week? are the used books sold through SBA significantly cheaper?

thanks in advance.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 pm

auds1008 wrote:i have been really busy these days with moving and interviews and i forgot all about the locker and used book sale. if anybody could be so kind to answer my questions, i would greatly appreciate it.

are the lockers on campus mandatory? and are they only available through SBA? and would i still be able to request for one next week? are the used books sold through SBA significantly cheaper?

thanks in advance.
I need to know about hte lockers, too, because I never had a chance to drop by campus to reserve one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Lockers are not mandatory but they are useful. Depends on your course schedule, size of your books, and whether you don't mind dragging books to and from class. Lockers are only available through the SBA. And I think they are selling them next week - I still need to get mine.

As for the used books, I never did go through the SBA last year. I bought mine on Amazon for the most part. However, I think some clubs also have book sales and/or giveaways.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm

You can also grab a locker from the Marvin Center

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Lockers are $35
Locks are $10 [key (Masterlock Commercial) or combo (std Masterlock), up to you]
Locker shelves are $10
Combo deal for all 3 is $50

As for the SBA book sale, the prices are actually really good, if you can find the book you need. ie, federal income tax was $37, and Corporations was $37... Unfortunately, the Corp class I'm taking doesn't use this book, and I'm not taking Fed Income Tax this semester. Much better pickings on the first day of the SBA used book sale if you're okay w/ used books.

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am

thanks a lot!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am

Are any of you externing/interning/working this fall?

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Anyone encountering a bit of transfer stigma given the size of our transfer class? I have on two occasions.

DD352

New

Post by DD352 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:Anyone encountering a bit of transfer stigma given the size of our transfer class? I have on two occasions.
How big was the transfer class? Can you describe both occurrences?

ajmonje

New

Post by ajmonje » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Hey!

Can anyone provide any clarity on the "contingent upon a B average" clause in the EA acceptance letter?

Does this mean if I get a B- average they will automatically rescind? Will they refund the deposit if that's the case?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 pm

ajmonje wrote:Hey!

Can anyone provide any clarity on the "contingent upon a B average" clause in the EA acceptance letter?

Does this mean if I get a B- average they will automatically rescind? Will they refund the deposit if that's the case?

Thanks!
They'd likely rescind. They likely wouldn't refund.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”