The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ben2587

New

Re: The George Washington University 2012 Transfer Thread

Post by ben2587 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

lnllnl wrote:No official rank, but I'm #2 or 3, 3.6x, TTTT, in DC, military background. #1 from my school also got waitlisted at GULC and dinged at GW.
Did you hit them with that LOCI?

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 pm

ben2587 wrote:
lnllnl wrote:No official rank, but I'm #2 or 3, 3.6x, TTTT, in DC, military background. #1 from my school also got waitlisted at GULC and dinged at GW.
Hit them with one right on June 26th, when I got my unofficial transcript sent in and I saw a shit-ton of people get dinged. I'll probably wait a couple more weeks to hit them up with another one. Hopefully it'll be around the time they look at waitlisters.

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm

lnllnl wrote:
ben2587 wrote:
Hit them with one right on June 26th, when I got my unofficial transcript sent in and I saw a shit-ton of people get dinged. I'll probably wait a couple more weeks to hit them up with another one. Hopefully it'll be around the time they look at waitlisters.
Good luck!!! I can't imagine how stressful it must be :cry: But, being WL instead of straight dinged is decent news!!

Transfer gods watch over you! You know how random they can be, it may all turn out spectacularly!

mrslaw2014

New

Post by mrslaw2014 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate- please pm me!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:51 am

Has anyone heard back about credits and registration

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:06 pm

ran12 wrote:Has anyone heard back about credits and registration
According to the packet we got, I believe that will be taken care of at orientation. I recall reading somewhere that we will have 1 on 1 counseling to get registered or something.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:22 pm

JLima2 wrote:
lnllnl wrote:
ben2587 wrote:
Good luck!!! I can't imagine how stressful it must be :cry: But, being WL instead of straight dinged is decent news!!

Transfer gods watch over you! You know how random they can be, it may all turn out spectacularly!
Thanks! It sucks not knowing how many spots they even have open. I figured even with all those people who have withdrawn from GULC, there may be only 1 or 2 spots for waitlisters. Luckily, being in DC already, I don't have to pick up and move or anything.

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Just a heads up if anyone was wondering - I spoke with the Student Life office, and they told me that all class selections will be made during Orientation, in individual appointments.

My main concern was whether there would be spots open for any classes, but she told me that we get first pick on open spots before any current students start adding/dropping classes. But that still doesn't reassure me that the more popular classes, or prerequisites, are already full and we get the scraps. We will see.

Also, it seems that attendance for orientation is mandatory. And here I thought I never had to go to one of those stupid things again...

So, I guess I look forward to meeting you all in exactly three weeks, against my will. Hurray! :mrgreen:

tink1

New

Post by tink1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 pm

JLima2 wrote:Also, it seems that attendance for orientation is mandatory. And here I thought I never had to go to one of those stupid things again...

So, I guess I look forward to meeting you all in exactly three weeks, against my will. Hurray! :mrgreen:
Obviously all this means is that there should be a transfer student happy hour the night before or night of orientation (or both).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Any clue on when we should be hearing back on interviews from the Philadelphia and NYC regionals?

GodFavor2010

New

Post by GodFavor2010 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

July 30th

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:21 pm

JLima2 wrote:Just a heads up if anyone was wondering - I spoke with the Student Life office, and they told me that all class selections will be made during Orientation, in individual appointments.

My main concern was whether there would be spots open for any classes, but she told me that we get first pick on open spots before any current students start adding/dropping classes. But that still doesn't reassure me that the more popular classes, or prerequisites, are already full and we get the scraps. We will see.

Also, it seems that attendance for orientation is mandatory. And here I thought I never had to go to one of those stupid things again...

When's the orientation schedule supposed to be up

JLima2

New

Post by JLima2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:33 pm

They didn't actually tell me anything specific about orientation apart from it being mandatory and the time when we get to pick our classes...I am trying to think what else could they fill an entire day with for people who already know, and were obviously at least decent at, the lawl school game.

As for Regional Interviews, on July 30th they will post your interview schedules. I was told that they select the times for all students, so we really have no say what goes where for the 10th (NYC). Not sure about Philly, but I can't imagine it being any different.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Is "orientation" going to be the whole day? or is "orientation" just the formal name for all the individual counseling sessions we have to do?

As for classes, I really hope there are a few spots open for electives I want to take. If an international LLM student whose native language is not English can take a bar prep class and pass the NY or CA bar exams after just 1yr of law school, are the bar tested classes really that necessary?

Also, is anyone here irked at the following provision?:

"The Credit/No Credit option is intended to facilitate course experimentation... Transfer students enrolling at the Law School may not register on a Credit/No Credit basis in any course regularly graded on a letter-graded basis; however, such students may take up to a total of 8 credits in courses regularly granded on a Credit/No Credit or Honors/Pass/Low Pass/No Credit basis."
Note: regular students may take up to 17 units pass/fail; limited to one course per semester.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm

anonymouse2828 wrote: Also, is anyone here irked at the following provision?:

"The Credit/No Credit option is intended to facilitate course experimentation... Transfer students enrolling at the Law School may not register on a Credit/No Credit basis in any course regularly graded on a letter-graded basis; however, such students may take up to a total of 8 credits in courses regularly granded on a Credit/No Credit or Honors/Pass/Low Pass/No Credit basis."
Note: regular students may take up to 17 units pass/fail; limited to one course per semester.
Those 17 units include "courses regularly graded on a Credit/No Credit or Honors/Pass/Low Pass/No Credit basis," like clinics, journal, moot court, etc. Thru-students can only take 6 credits of regularly graded courses P/NP and have them count toward graduation.

Fine Print: http://www.law.gwu.edu/Academics/degree ... acreg.aspx

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 am

Counting towards graduation and whatnot isn't really an issue, it's the fact that I won't be able to "experiment" w/o the class affecting my GPA. Oh well.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 am

Yeah I'm just saying regular students can do it with maybe 2 classes only though. It's probably because transfers come in with no GPA and could have a post-2L gpa based on three graded courses, ungraded stuff, and a bunch of P/NP. The school presumably wants to avoid this, and I wouldn't be surprised if other schools similarly restrict transfers.

I think it sucks you can't take any but maybe I don't see why it's that big of a deal. When you said "irked" I thought you meant the division was unfair, not the no p/no thing entirely.

* edited b/c I wrote this on the bus and a bunch of stuff got weirdly auto-corrected. i sounded like a moron.
Last edited by dudders on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DJ5

New

Post by DJ5 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 am

tink1 wrote:
JLima2 wrote:Also, it seems that attendance for orientation is mandatory. And here I thought I never had to go to one of those stupid things again...

Obviously all this means is that there should be a transfer student happy hour the night before or night of orientation (or both).

TITCR

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 am

DJ5 wrote:
tink1 wrote:
TITCR
Solid plan.

Where are most of you guys living this upcoming year? In the District? Arlington? Alexandria? Bethesda?

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am

Northern Virginia for a few months, then moving in w/ my girlfriend on the Hill once she rolls off the campaign in November.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DJ5

New

Post by DJ5 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Rosslyn

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Anyone have any success so far w/ mass mailing. For me - no screeners/ ~ 10 rejections. Hopefully something comes out of the 200+ apps I sent out.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:17 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:Anyone have any success so far w/ mass mailing. For me - no screeners/ ~ 10 rejections. Hopefully something comes out of the 200+ apps I sent out.
Few rejections, and a couple we are not ready yet. I think they go to the mass mails after OCI. Are the rejections coming via mail or email?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 am

Last edited by jarofsoup on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”