Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby rgucsb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently applied to USC, Loyola, and Southwestern as a transfer student from a law school in Chicago and wrote my entire personal statement about wanting to become an entertainment attorney.

Recently, I was hired at a Public Defenders Office in Southern Cali for a summer internship and was even given only 1 of 3 paid fellowships.

I have decided to take the position because job searching in Cali from Chicago is extremely difficult and wanted to know how it would look if I sent an Addendum informing these schools of the recent honor. Will it look bad if I talk about a crim law position when my entire personal statement was devoted to my interests in entertainment law?

Thank you TLSers

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Celebrities need defense attorneys too.

But seriously, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Will it look bad that you didn't secure an "entertainment law" position as a 1L? No, it won't look bad.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby quiver » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Celebrities need defense attorneys too.

But seriously, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Will it look bad that you didn't secure an "entertainment law" position as a 1L? No, it won't look bad.
Agreed. Also, I doubt it will make a difference one way or another in your admissions chances.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:20 pm

quiver wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:Celebrities need defense attorneys too.

But seriously, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Will it look bad that you didn't secure an "entertainment law" position as a 1L? No, it won't look bad.
Agreed. Also, I doubt it will make a difference one way or another in your admissions chances.


Both credited

User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby rgucsb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I guess my Q is should I even let them know? Will it help or hurt? I figured having a job lined up for summer, esp one which will probably be available to me after grad (family connections), can only make my application stronger, but will the fact that it doesn't relate to anything i wrote my personal statement on make me look bad

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 am

rgucsb wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I guess my Q is should I even let them know? Will it help or hurt? I figured having a job lined up for summer, esp one which will probably be available to me after grad (family connections), can only make my application stronger, but will the fact that it doesn't relate to anything i wrote my personal statement on make me look bad


It can only help, IMO. Law schools want to accept students that are employable. Showing that your 1L summer is set in stone is the first way to demonstrate you are hirable.

User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Admission Advice greatly needed--Addendum on Summer Job

Postby rgucsb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:13 am

Thanks for the advice coolgrnmen!

Any other advice is much appreciated.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.