Current School Law Review

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drmguy

Current School Law Review

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am

Are any of you going to try to write on to your current school?

Obviously nothing is certain until transfer apps are sent out and an acceptance is received. Still, it seems like a huge amount of effort for most likely nothing.

crossarmant

Re: Current School Law Review

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 am

Exact same boat. Though, I have two EA transfer acceptances already, so I'm 99% sure I'm not going to stay here next year so I'm feeling like it's not even worth it to expend the effort and drop the money on the applications for Law Review at my current school. Does anyone think that this is a bad idea to not even bother with it?

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 am

crossarmant wrote:Exact same boat. Though, I have two EA transfer acceptances already, so I'm 99% sure I'm not going to stay here next year so I'm feeling like it's not even worth it to expend the effort and drop the money on the applications for Law Review at my current school. Does anyone think that this is a bad idea to not even bother with it?

Some transfers put "invited to law review" on their resume for OCI. I didn't do this (even though I wrote on at old school) since I think it comes off as kind of pretentious and employers really don't care. So in your situation, I don't think there is any reason to punish yourself with a writing comp -- but I would definitely do it if I didn't have an acceptance yet (OP).

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Wouldn't do it if you have a EA acceptance that you will take even if you don't get in anywhere else. Otherwise, writing comp will usually be before you get grades back. Since you don't know if they will be high enough to transfer to a school that will improve job prospects, seems to me to be a poor choice to risk lowering your chances of employment just to save the hassle, when you probably don't have anything else important to do for school during that time after finals.

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:37 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Exact same boat. Though, I have two EA transfer acceptances already, so I'm 99% sure I'm not going to stay here next year so I'm feeling like it's not even worth it to expend the effort and drop the money on the applications for Law Review at my current school. Does anyone think that this is a bad idea to not even bother with it?

Some transfers put "invited to law review" on their resume for OCI. I didn't do this (even though I wrote on at old school) since I think it comes off as kind of pretentious and employers really don't care. So in your situation, I don't think there is any reason to punish yourself with a writing comp -- but I would definitely do it if I didn't have an acceptance yet (OP).

Can you explain this a little more? I already have an EA acceptance, but I completed in write on over spring break. If I made LR, I was planning on putting it on my resume. Why would it be considered pretentious and why wouldn't employers care? I thought the whole reason LR is important is that employers care a great deal about it.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:43 pm

rockthered86 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

Can you explain this a little more? I already have an EA acceptance, but I completed in write on over spring break. If I made LR, I was planning on putting it on my resume. Why would it be considered pretentious and why wouldn't employers care? I thought the whole reason LR is important is that employers care a great deal about it.

I don't know if I agree with the other poster that it would be pretentious. Most of the transfers I knew put it on the resume for OCI. I think if you did a write-on, that's fine, as long as you don't leave it on past 2L OCI. I don't think you should if it was
purely grade-on, though. I agree employers might care a bit less than if you are actually doing LR since then it's not something they can use to advertise you to clients.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Wholigan wrote:
rockthered86 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

I don't know if I agree with the other poster that it would be pretentious. Most of the transfers I knew put it on the resume for OCI. I think if you did a write-on, that's fine, as long as you don't leave it on past 2L OCI. I don't think you should if it was
purely grade-on, though. I agree employers might care a bit less than if you are actually doing LR since then it's not something they can use to advertise you to clients.

If you already did the competition, go ahead and add it if you want -- I don't think it would hurt you. My point is that adding an "invited to LR at old school" resume line has such minimal value that if you already have your acceptances in hand it's not worth going through the competition afterward just for shits (most schools don't have their competitions as early as yours did).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I graded onto law review last semester and am currently on it, doing cite & source, digest articles, pre-page proofs, and dun dun DUN - my comment. The first draft of my comment is due this summer. This really depresses me because if I do transfer, it could be all for nothing if I don't get onto a journal at the new school. Not only will I have wasted my time but also the time of other people like my writing advisor, law review people, etc. However, I think I am going 4/4 deferred, so I can't drop law review until I have an acceptance in hand, which will be after my June 15th first draft deadline.

With that said, I totally have law review on my resume for transfer apps and 2L OCI. I don't want to put in all of these hours for nothing.

I could get lucky, though, and transfer, get onto law review at the new school, and recycle my unpublished comment. That would be lovely.

PB716

Postby PB716 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Jessuf wrote:I graded onto law review last semester and am currently on it, doing cite & source, digest articles, pre-page proofs, and dun dun DUN - my comment. The first draft of my comment is due this summer. This really depresses me because if I do transfer, it could be all for nothing if I don't get onto a journal at the new school. Not only will I have wasted my time but also the time of other people like my writing advisor, law review people, etc. However, I think I am going 4/4 deferred, so I can't drop law review until I have an acceptance in hand, which will be after my June 15th first draft deadline.

With that said, I totally have law review on my resume for transfer apps and 2L OCI. I don't want to put in all of these hours for nothing.

I could get lucky, though, and transfer, get onto law review at the new school, and recycle my unpublished comment. That would be lovely.

I have just completed a comment to write onto law review, and it is due in a couple of days. I already have an acceptance to another school, which I will likely be transferring to.
Assuming I am able to use my comment for a write on competition at the transfer school, would submitting it to my old school make it so that I could not re-use it?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 pm

PB716 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I graded onto law review last semester and am currently on it, doing cite & source, digest articles, pre-page proofs, and dun dun DUN - my comment. The first draft of my comment is due this summer. This really depresses me because if I do transfer, it could be all for nothing if I don't get onto a journal at the new school. Not only will I have wasted my time but also the time of other people like my writing advisor, law review people, etc. However, I think I am going 4/4 deferred, so I can't drop law review until I have an acceptance in hand, which will be after my June 15th first draft deadline.

I have just completed a comment to write onto law review, and it is due in a couple of days. I already have an acceptance to another school, which I will likely be transferring to.
Assuming I am able to use my comment for a write on competition at the transfer school, would submitting it to my old school make it so that I could not re-use it?

My current law review has no policy on this. However, I can imagine the transfer law review not liking this. I would contact both before submitting anything.

Also, this is assuming your transfer school gives students participating in the write-on competition the freedom to submit a comment on any topic. My transfer school does not - it's closed universe with specific sources and a pretty limited topic.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 pm

I accepted the position to LR about 2 weeks ago from my school. I wonder what the reaction will be if/when I end up transferring. I have always wondered how that works. Do they give your spot to someone else or do they just roll with less people?

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 pm

TTRansfer wrote:I accepted the position to LR about 2 weeks ago from my school. I wonder what the reaction will be if/when I end up transferring. I have always wondered how that works. Do they give your spot to someone else or do they just roll with less people?

Do they know about the possibility that you might transfer?

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:01 pm

TTRansfer wrote:I accepted the position to LR about 2 weeks ago from my school. I wonder what the reaction will be if/when I end up transferring. I have always wondered how that works. Do they give your spot to someone else or do they just roll with less people?

They will give your position to someone else. They likely have a pool of anywhere between 10-20 alternatives, depending on how prone your school is to students transferring out.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 pm

lnllnl wrote:

Do they know about the possibility that you might transfer?

The one person who I know on LR has discussed it with me in the past, but I have never stated my full intentions to transfer (and won't until I decide to).

Return to “Transfers”