T4 in limbo, needs some advice for the effort

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wilc0phan

T4 in limbo, needs some advice for the effort

Postby wilc0phan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 pm

I've exhausted transfer considerations and possibilities. I need genuine advice-- We have one official transcript grade after first semester. I can make a rough estimate of my gpa--an A in the books, and the other 50% advisory grades for year-long classes (3 A-'s), but not the additional two classes we picked up this semester. It is an educated guess, perhaps at best. Frustratingly, the school only discloses that grade inflation has only slightly improved over the years, with a Median GPA of 3.12 for last year. The top 10% from last year and the year prior to that were students with roughly a 3.65 and up. Basically, I am ball-parking where I would fit within the top 10%, since we are only ranked after the year. LRW just finished and my final grade is either a 3.25 or a 3.5. Sucks, this will likely be my lowest grade.--writing was my biggest struggle this year although I did well on exams. This professor happened to write me a great LOR albeit extremely inconsistent with his grading on my final memo. This might raise a flag with some but he really got to know me, whatever, and the LOR was thoughtful. Other LOR, is from my Harvard professor who really got to see what I got and by all indications, he is very happy to write on my behalf. I just locked a paid internship with general counsel of a state department.

So I got that going for me. PS is painful, like it is for everyone, but--I've knocked out something I don't hate, yet nowhere near ready. It's program specific while still being a boilerplate PS-- I just would like to have a really good idea at my realistic range before sending out applications in the three-day period before I start my summer position after finals while I still need to adjust for each school I apply. I should mention I worked as a paralegal for a year at a smaller NYC firm and want to end up there but there seems to be a big gap in the NY school rankings, where I fit best. Fordham requires being competitive as an initial applicant, I was not. I'm dropping all transfer stuff tomorrow, finishing this semester strong which I've worked a lot harder on than last. I can't rush out an application yet, it's not going to be half-assed. But honestly, is GULC ft/pt realistic? Otherwise, if I'm shooting for T14-30, what should be my most immediate priority if I can find anytime away from finals studying without losing the sanity I have left? Yahoo group didn't seem particularly helpful playing around with my numbers, etc.

Only thing that matters right now is grades, I know. That hasn't been sidetracked. But any tips from someone who has perhaps felt this stress before would be appreciated. Thx

jessuf

Re: T4 in limbo, needs some advice for the effort

Postby jessuf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 am

Since you don't have a GPA yet, you really should play the numbers game when you get your grades after spring semester. I know it's hard because you probably want to get out of your school ASAP, but try to concentrate on just your classes and doing as well as you possibly can on your finals.

Also, by Harvard professor, I'm assuming you're saying a law professor who graduated from Harvard?

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 am

Jessuf wrote:Since you don't have a GPA yet, you really should play the numbers game when you get your grades after spring semester. I know it's hard because you probably want to get out of your school ASAP, but try to concentrate on just your classes and doing as well as you possibly can on your finals.

Also, by Harvard professor, I'm assuming you're saying a law professor who graduated from Harvard?

Yup. I guess the problem is, waiting till I get grades is too late to figure out what schools to apply. Particularly because I need to adjust each PS.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 am

If you could chop that down to about 3 or 4 sentences you will get some good advice

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 am

I've exhausted transfer considerations and possibilities. I need genuine advice-- We have one official transcript grade after first semester. I can make a rough estimate of my gpa--an A in the books, and the other 50% advisory grades for year-long classes (3 A-'s), but not the additional two classes we picked up this semester. It is an educated guess, perhaps at best. Frustratingly, the school only discloses that grade inflation has only slightly improved over the years, with a Median GPA of 3.12 for last year. The top 10% from last year and the year prior to that were students with roughly a 3.65 and up. Basically, I am ball-parking where I would fit within the top 10%, since we are only ranked after the year. LRW just finished and my final grade is either a 3.25 or a 3.5. Sucks, this will likely be my lowest grade.--writing was my biggest struggle this year although I did well on exams. This professor happened to write me a great LOR albeit extremely inconsistent with his grading on my final memo. This might raise a flag with some but he really got to know me, whatever, and the LOR was thoughtful. Other LOR, is from my Harvard professor who really got to see what I got and by all indications, he is very happy to write on my behalf. I just locked a paid internship with general counsel of a state department.

So I got that going for me. PS is painful, like it is for everyone, but--I've knocked out something I don't hate, yet nowhere near ready. It's program specific while still being a boilerplate PS-- I just would like to have a really good idea at my realistic range before sending out applications in the three-day period before I start my summer position after finals while I still need to adjust for each school I apply. I should mention I worked as a paralegal for a year at a smaller NYC firm and want to end up there but there seems to be a big gap in the NY school rankings, where I fit best. Fordham requires being competitive as an initial applicant, I was not. I'm dropping all transfer stuff tomorrow, finishing this semester strong which I've worked a lot harder on than last. I can't rush out an application yet, it's not going to be half-assed. But honestly, is GULC ft/pt realistic? Otherwise, if I'm shooting for T14-30, what should be my most immediate priority if I can find anytime away from finals studying without losing the sanity I have left? Yahoo group didn't seem particularly helpful playing around with my numbers, etc.

Only thing that matters right now is grades, I know. That hasn't been sidetracked. But any tips from someone who has perhaps felt this stress before would be appreciated. Thx

Return to “Transfers”