Is it worth it? Transferring in NYC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Re: Is it worth it? Transferring in NYC

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 am

Above poster: if you have $$$ at your current school and you're happy there, I don't see a reason to leave (especially not for GULC/GW). Consider just apply to a few "reach" schools and then see what happens. If you're currently not on scholarship, then it's a little different and it might be worth it (though again, probably not for GW/GULC)

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:43 pm

keg411 wrote:Above poster: if you have $$$ at your current school and you're happy there, I don't see a reason to leave (especially not for GULC/GW). Consider just apply to a few "reach" schools and then see what happens. If you're currently not on scholarship, then it's a little different and it might be worth it (though again, probably not for GW/GULC)

No $$$. Possibility of it, but currently none.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 pm

TTRansfer wrote:I posted in the GW thread and got a few answers about this, but hopefully I can get some more perspective in this thread.

I have a really nice SA job lined up at an NLJ 250 law firm. They essentially told me at OCI that they expect whoever they took as a 1L to stay with them as a 2L and then with the firm after (which was pretty awesome to hear). I really like the firm and am positioned in a secondary market for it for the summer.

Question really is should I actually transfer? I am already in at GW and praying that I get in at Georgetown.

I don't think that they would, say, ban me from coming back to the office as a new school would be a massive step up in prestige from where I am currently at. And I could see myself staying there as I like the area, generally, and love the people at the firm (at least from when I interviewed with them!!).

But transferring would at least give me a degree that should let me transfer within the firms offices in the future if I wanted to. I would 99% likely be region-locked if I graduate from my current school. I can't see it having any real appeal outside of its main region. I would love to get a shot at interviewing with some other top firms, but I may even turn down any offers from them if this summer goes well (as I think it will) out of (perhaps stupidly) a sense of loyalty for this firm.

Either way, the decision is achingly tough for me, so far. Any advice?

What is your current school range and class rank? If your stats put you in range of T6 schools I would apply there -- that way if your firm somehow disapproves of the move, you are at a school where you are highly likely to get another biglaw gig anyway. For the same reason, I don't think GULC is even worth considering (and certainly not GW).

Bottom line is that I don't think transferring confers any advantages unless your firm pays below market or you really want to change regions.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:54 pm

concurrent fork wrote:What is your current school range and class rank? If your stats put you in range of T6 schools I would apply there -- that way if your firm somehow disapproves of the move, you are at a school where you are highly likely to get another biglaw gig anyway. For the same reason, I don't think GULC is even worth considering (and certainly not GW).

Bottom line is that I don't think transferring confers any advantages unless your firm pays below market or you really want to change regions.

80-100, ~top 5% or so.

Firm is secondary and market for secondary, but quite a bit below, say, NYC. I really think that the main reason I'd like to transfer is post-school mobility (which I would have NONE with at my current school). I am 100% region locked.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:05 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:What is your current school range and class rank? If your stats put you in range of T6 schools I would apply there -- that way if your firm somehow disapproves of the move, you are at a school where you are highly likely to get another biglaw gig anyway. For the same reason, I don't think GULC is even worth considering (and certainly not GW).

80-100, ~top 5% or so.

Firm is secondary and market for secondary, but quite a bit below, say, NYC. I really think that the main reason I'd like to transfer is post-school mobility (which I would have NONE with at my current school). I am 100% region locked.

You don't need post-school mobility if you have a job. The only reason to transfer is if you want to give yourself a shot at OCI in a big market (which, honestly, isn't an awful thing since you likely have a job in your back pocket and no $$$$ at your current school).

Personally, I think you get into Mich/NU/GULC if you keep those stats (that's how I did last year with the same numbers). Possibly Penn/CLS/NYU if you can get your grades into the 3.9 range. The question is how happy and comfortable you currently are and how much $$$ you think you can get out of your school.

Also, I will put a plug for Mich if you think you might transfer to trade-up firms: transfers here did pretty much BEYOND INCREDIBLE at OCI. Of the transfers that wanted firm jobs, I know of one who didn't get one. And these are major firms we're taking about (think Skadden, Kirkland, STB, Latham, etc.). Feel free to PM me for more deets on that if you want.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:09 pm

keg411 wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

80-100, ~top 5% or so.

You don't need post-school mobility if you have a job. The only reason to transfer is if you want to give yourself a shot at OCI in a big market (which, honestly, isn't an awful thing since you likely have a job in your back pocket and no $$$$ at your current school).

Personally, I think you get into Mich/NU/GULC if you keep those stats (that's how I did last year with the same numbers). Possibly Penn/CLS/NYU if you can get your grades into the 3.9 range. The question is how happy and comfortable you currently are and how much $$$ you think you can get out of your school.

My thing is I want to have the possibility of lateraling, say, to the East Coast or something in the future. I think I'll definitely 100% be leaving if I get into CLS/NYU/Penn. Probably even GULC.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

^^ NU and Mich can easily get you to the east coast. I transferred to Michigan and I have a NYC SA this summer and I know plenty of other people going to NYC as well. Also know someone going to Wilmington, people who got Philly/DC/Boston offers, etc.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:22 pm

keg411 wrote:^^ NU and Mich can easily get you to the east coast. I transferred to Michigan and I have a NYC SA this summer and I know plenty of other people going to NYC as well. Also know someone going to Wilmington, people who got Philly/DC/Boston offers, etc.

Oh, or sure. That's why I'm thinking of transferring even with the job. The big thing is I may want to lateral in the future and transferring would allow me to do this.

Return to “Transfers”