Should I try to transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lizard_King

Should I try to transfer?

Postby Lizard_King » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Not sure where I am ranked, I think it's around top 1/5 - 1/4 (I was on the Deans List) but that is subject to change relative to my spring grades. My school doesn't release class rank until the end of the Spring semester. I have a legal job lined up as a sho-in and have worked PT in a law firm throughout 1L. I currently go to a T3 (between 105-110). I would like to transfer to either UF or FSU as I'm a Florida resident. I will apply to Stetson as well.

I'm concerned about my summer plan if I decide to transfer as I plan to work PT at my firm and take a couple summer classes. The summer classes start 2 weeks after I complete my last final exam. My concern is that by the time I get my class rank, I will already be enrolled in summer classes at my current school and I heard they wont transfer to a new school (would be 38 credits). So if I did transfer, I would most likely end up losing all the time, effort, and money for those 8 credits.

How long does it normally take a school to tell you if you are accepted as a transfer?

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Should I try to transfer?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Lizard_King wrote:Not sure where I am ranked, I think it's around top 1/5 - 1/4 (I was on the Deans List) but that is subject to change relative to my spring grades. My school doesn't release class rank until the end of the Spring semester. I have a legal job lined up as a sho-in and have worked PT in a law firm throughout 1L. I currently go to a T3 (between 105-110). I would like to transfer to either UF or FSU as I'm a Florida resident. I will apply to Stetson as well.

I'm concerned about my summer plan if I decide to transfer as I plan to work PT at my firm and take a couple summer classes. The summer classes start 2 weeks after I complete my last final exam. My concern is that by the time I get my class rank, I will already be enrolled in summer classes at my current school and I heard they wont transfer to a new school (would be 38 credits). So if I did transfer, I would most likely end up losing all the time, effort, and money for those 8 credits.

How long does it normally take a school to tell you if you are accepted as a transfer?

Will you firm let you work FT over the summer? If so, I don't see how not being able to take summer classes is a problem.

Lizard_King

Postby Lizard_King » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Lizard_King wrote:Not sure where I am ranked, I think it's around top 1/5 - 1/4 (I was on the Deans List) but that is subject to change relative to my spring grades. My school doesn't release class rank until the end of the Spring semester. I have a legal job lined up as a sho-in and have worked PT in a law firm throughout 1L. I currently go to a T3 (between 105-110). I would like to transfer to either UF or FSU as I'm a Florida resident. I will apply to Stetson as well.

Will you firm let you work FT over the summer? If so, I don't see how not being able to take summer classes is a problem.

Definitely, they would prefer it actually. I want to take summer classes so I can take less classes during the fall/spring.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Lizard_King wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Definitely, they would prefer it actually. I want to take summer classes so I can take less classes during the fall/spring.

Summer classes are overrated IMO. Don't let it interfere with bigger priorities (like transferring or improving the chances your summer firm gives you an offer to work there after law school--though I don't know if that's a possibility where you are working now).

Return to “Transfers”