Should I Transfer???

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
droges

Should I Transfer???

Postby droges » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am

I am a 1L at a top 25 on the east coast. However, I want to end up in Colorado or Utah after graduation. Knowing that these are insular markets, would it be smart to transfer (CU,Utah,BYU) to give myself a better shot at these markets or just try to network my way out there.

InnocuousDiatribe

Re: Should I Transfer???

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 am

Consider transferring to a T14. A nationally recognized school may be of greater benefit than even, e.g., CU for the purpose of getting a job in this region. Especially if its a T14 on the west coast--S, Boalt.

The likelihood of making the cut, of course, depends on your numbers; but if you're at a T25 already, as a general rule, I would strongly advise against transferring down, if at all.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Transfer to Utah or BYU (BYU especially if Mormon since Mormon tuition is among the lowest in the nation) for placement in Utah.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:06 pm

OP: Aren't you in a JD/MBA program at Boston College with a $15,000 per year scholarship ? If so, not sure that transferring to anywhere but BYU if you are a Mormon (due to low tuition) would be wise other than to a T-14.

droges

Postby droges » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm only JD, though im considering JD/MBA but the Scholarship is why I would be hesitant to transfer. Anyone have any opinion on finishing up school here then networking my way out there? Any thoughts on if JD/MBA would make me more marketable in trying to find a job out there? Thanks

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 pm

there is no such thing as transferring down unless you are already at a T14/Vandy. All the other schools are regional. If you want to work in Utah, transferring to the U is not a bad idea. No way you "network" your way out there without ties.

Return to “Transfers”