3.9 at T40. ED Chicago or wait for Spring Grades?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lemoned88
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 pm

3.9 at T40. ED Chicago or wait for Spring Grades?

Postby lemoned88 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Question: Should I attempt to transfer ED to Chicago? I'll probably transfer either way, but before I send in those apps I'm going to wait on grades. I did EA some places (not Georgetown though, LOR didn't arrive in time)

Reasons I want to Transfer ED

I have a high GPA, but I still found it really hard to find a job this summer because there are so many better schools in the area
I think I need the ranking of a better school because I have no connections in this industry and despite what firms say I think they've actively stopped looking at my law school because there are other substantially better law schools in the market.
Career goals:Clerkship/BigFirm then Inhouse (or maybe Academia)

Reasons I don't want to Transfer ED
I'm getting ~ 30K from my home school (total... 10K/year) not a lot but more than nothing
I have an opportunity potentially to do law review
The school I go to has a lot going on in the area of law I'm interested in (law/bioscences...also this is a great area for that)
I'm close to home/family here if I ED I'll be far away.

If my grades are good...I think I"ll apply to transfer to higher ranked schools in the area and if they stay this good I"ll try for the T10, but right now, I feel like I should maybe capitalize on the current high numbers and go for Chicago. I think my school is just low enough that it would be hard to transfer T5 otherwise. Idk. Thoughts?

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: 3.9 at T40. ED Chicago or wait for Spring Grades?

Postby Napt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Definitely ED to Chicago, no doubt.

enzo66
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:06 am

Re: 3.9 at T40. ED Chicago or wait for Spring Grades?

Postby enzo66 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Definitely ED to Chicago.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: 3.9 at T40. ED Chicago or wait for Spring Grades?

Postby Sapientia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Geez. We have a lot of similarities. I've been debating this question for awhile now, and still don't know what I'll do.

So, I can't give you any advice, but good luck with your decision.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: 3.9 at T40. ED Chicago or wait for Spring Grades?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm

What % (ish) does a 3.9 give you? If that's 1%, you might consider holding out to gamble on Harvard, because you'd be within striking distance if your grades keep you in that same class rank. You're in the spot where ED Chicago vs. gamble on HYS is a tough choice.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.