ADVICE ON TRANSFER INTO UCI LAW

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lakers1

ADVICE ON TRANSFER INTO UCI LAW

Postby lakers1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi,

I am weighing the decision about whether or not to apply for a transfer into UCI Law. I am currently attending a t4 law school in southern california ranked 4/43 (top 10%.) Because I can only speculate on the power and prestige of UCI law's status through the the quality of stats of their admits, I am unsure about whether it would be worthwhile to even consider a transfer. Currently, I will be eligible to receive 75% scholarship, and have also completed 2 semesters of law review. I am a 2L part time evening student. What are people's thoughts on the prospect of transferring, and on the chances that I would actually even get in, going from a local T4 to a potential T1/topT2. Also, if anyone has info as far as job prospects as far as UCI in Orange County would be awesome.

Thanks

Danteshek

Re: ADVICE ON TRANSFER INTO UCI LAW

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:26 am

lakers1 wrote:Hi,

I am weighing the decision about whether or not to apply for a transfer into UCI Law. I am currently attending a t4 law school in southern california ranked 4/43 (top 10%.) Because I can only speculate on the power and prestige of UCI law's status through the the quality of stats of their admits, I am unsure about whether it would be worthwhile to even consider a transfer. Currently, I will be eligible to receive 75% scholarship, and have also completed 2 semesters of law review. I am a 2L part time evening student. What are people's thoughts on the prospect of transferring, and on the chances that I would actually even get in, going from a local T4 to a potential T1/topT2. Also, if anyone has info as far as job prospects as far as UCI in Orange County would be awesome.

Thanks

ANY transfer to a higher ranked school (TT or higher) would be worth it. You need to get the hell out of there.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 am

where do you go? TJ, Cal Western, Whittier, or Chapman?

UCI is better than ALL of those.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 am

Transfer--especially since you already have law review experience for your resume.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I heard (rumor or in some article...I really can't remember so take it with a grain of salt) that the inaugural class had 100% summer employment and offers for jobs upon graduation at UCI.

Again, take it for the grain of salt that it is.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:I heard (rumor or in some article...I really can't remember so take it with a grain of salt) that the inaugural class had 100% summer employment and offers for jobs upon graduation at UCI.

or a whole shaker of salt.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:I heard (rumor or in some article...I really can't remember so take it with a grain of salt) that the inaugural class had 100% summer employment and offers for jobs upon graduation at UCI.

The article that I saw reported 100% 1L summer employment. That does not indicate anything about the kind of postgrad offers they get, imo.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 pm

bk1 wrote:

The article that I saw reported 100% 1L summer employment. That does not indicate anything about the kind of postgrad offers they get, imo.

UCI purchased an amazing inaugural class so you can't take statistics from it too seriously.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 pm

drmguy wrote:UCI purchased an amazing inaugural class so you can't take statistics from it too seriously.

True. And it was small (60) and they have since upped their class size (90).

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:26 pm

OP should probably PM bearsgrl for info on UCI. She seems to know a lot about it

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
drmguy wrote:UCI purchased an amazing inaugural class so you can't take statistics from it too seriously.

True. And it was small (60) and they have since upped their class size (90).

Nonetheless, Irvine is amazing as compared to many other locations of law schools.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:43 am

http://www.law.uci.edu/career_dev/past_placements.html

I actually bothered to go look. The CDO only mentions that all 60 had employment for the first summer (2010). Since they don't have bragging about 2011 on their website, I'd assume those stats dropped.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 pm

I wonder how hard it is to transfer into UCI though. Anyone have any ideas? No stats on it, of course.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Jessuf wrote:I wonder how hard it is to transfer into UCI though. Anyone have any ideas? No stats on it, of course.

Check out the yahoo transfer page. Seems like it is comparable to Davis.

lakers1

Postby lakers1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 am

Hi i actually got an offer as a paid full time law clerk position at a mid size civil litigation firm. I think i am going to decide to take the offer and not apply to transfer. The pay is about average for a law clerk at 16 dollars, however, the experience seems to be good and i am hoping that if i can myself prove self through good work, i may be able to leverage an offer in the future. What do you guys think? I am currently not in any debt due to my ranking, therefore my goal is to get out of school with zero loans. I am thinking that regardless, 2 years of full time civil litigation experience as a law clerk should either put me in decent position to get a job in the area, or more likely an associate position at the mid size firm i will be clerking at for 2 years. What do you guys think? Btw, i will be taking night classes the two years during my law clerking, putting my graduation year at 2014-currently finishing up 2L part time evening.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 am

lakers1 wrote:Hi i actually got an offer as a paid full time law clerk position at a mid size civil litigation firm. I think i am going to decide to take the offer and not apply to transfer. The pay is about average for a law clerk at 16 dollars, however, the experience seems to be good and i am hoping that if i can myself prove self through good work, i may be able to leverage an offer in the future. What do you guys think? I am currently not in any debt due to my ranking, therefore my goal is to get out of school with zero loans. I am thinking that regardless, 2 years of full time civil litigation experience as a law clerk should either put me in decent position to get a job in the area, or more likely an associate position at the mid size firm i will be clerking at for 2 years. What do you guys think? Btw, i will be taking night classes the two years during my law clerking, putting my graduation year at 2014-currently finishing up 2L part time evening.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Send those transfer apps out anyway.

Return to “Transfers”