T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redsox24
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:28 pm

T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby redsox24 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:38 pm

Currently a 1L at Roger Williams in RI. Graduated top of my class in undergrad 3.96 GPA from the top business school in the state but never was a good standardized test taker and bombed the LSATs. Ended up with a half scholarship and decided to go to school in state.

Currently in the top 10% of the class and thinking of applying to transfer to at least get the scholarship bumped up. Does anyone have advice/experience in this department? Similarly, what is the highest move someone in my situation could muster? Was thinking of applying to Villanova, BC, Suffolk, and Quinnipiac.

Probably will stay in state because I came here for the networking in the first place (got a call from a serious candidate for Governor to work on the upcoming campaign last week). Plus, I should make law review.

1. Will the school dish out money to keep me?
2. What is the best jump I could make?

Thanks in advance all

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 am

Most schools will dish out money to keep you. But you should be looking to transfer to schools way better than those you listed except BC. Think Gtown (long shot) all the way up through the T1

redsox24
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby redsox24 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 am

Any tips on dealing with the old school for increased aid? What's the best way to approach it in terms of what to say to them?

Also, what schools would you look towards for someone in my position? After reevaluating, thinking Notre Dame, BC, Villanova, and Suffolk.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 pm

redsox24 wrote:Any tips on dealing with the old school for increased aid? What's the best way to approach it in terms of what to say to them?

"Here is my acceptance to X school. Is there a chance my scholarship would be increased if I decide to stay here?"

Also, what schools would you look towards for someone in my position? After reevaluating, thinking Notre Dame, BC, Villanova, and Suffolk.

IMHO there are very few situations where it makes sense to give up a scholarship and transfer to a school outside the T14. Transfers into the schools you listed generally don't get biglaw or Art III clerkships, so you're talking about doubling your debt load in exchange for a better name on your resume and somewhat better 3L job postings on Symplicity, etc. Maybe this is worth it, maybe not. I don't know what the job market looks like for top 10% students at your current school.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 am

concurrent fork wrote:
Also, what schools would you look towards for someone in my position? After reevaluating, thinking Notre Dame, BC, Villanova, and Suffolk.

IMHO there are very few situations where it makes sense to give up a scholarship and transfer to a school outside the T14. Transfers into the schools you listed generally don't get biglaw or Art III clerkships, so you're talking about doubling your debt load in exchange for a better name on your resume and somewhat better 3L job postings on Symplicity, etc. Maybe this is worth it, maybe not. I don't know what the job market looks like for top 10% students at your current school.


Top 10% at T4 schools won't get you the same opportunities as a transfer at T1 schools. For example, I did both OCIs at NYLS and BU. There were firms who came to BU that had a top 20% cut-off while the SAME firms required top 5 or 10 students (not %) at NYLS - a school with a class size of over 500. That's about top 1-2%.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:02 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
Also, what schools would you look towards for someone in my position? After reevaluating, thinking Notre Dame, BC, Villanova, and Suffolk.

IMHO there are very few situations where it makes sense to give up a scholarship and transfer to a school outside the T14. Transfers into the schools you listed generally don't get biglaw or Art III clerkships, so you're talking about doubling your debt load in exchange for a better name on your resume and somewhat better 3L job postings on Symplicity, etc. Maybe this is worth it, maybe not. I don't know what the job market looks like for top 10% students at your current school.


Top 10% at T4 schools won't get you the same opportunities as a transfer at T1 schools. For example, I did both OCIs at NYLS and BU. There were firms who came to BU that had a top 20% cut-off while the SAME firms required top 5 or 10 students (not %) at NYLS - a school with a class size of over 500. That's about top 1-2%.

I expect that the BU transfer would get more screeners, but I'm curious whether this would actually increase biglaw chances (firms might "preselect" for screeners based on 1L grades without taking into account your transfer status until later in the process). If you don't mind me asking, did you get an offer at BU's OCI?

Regardless of the answer, I think your situation is a good example of where a transfer into T1 makes sense if you didn't leave behind $$$. You didn't really lose anything (assuming top 10% at T4 =/= biglaw) and you have much better 3L job prospects being at BU: it opens up a new market while still allowing possibility of returning to your "home" market.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

Apply to BC & BU.

P.S. Does your current law school have a pattern & practice of delaying transcripts for transfer attempts ?

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
Also, what schools would you look towards for someone in my position? After reevaluating, thinking Notre Dame, BC, Villanova, and Suffolk.

IMHO there are very few situations where it makes sense to give up a scholarship and transfer to a school outside the T14. Transfers into the schools you listed generally don't get biglaw or Art III clerkships, so you're talking about doubling your debt load in exchange for a better name on your resume and somewhat better 3L job postings on Symplicity, etc. Maybe this is worth it, maybe not. I don't know what the job market looks like for top 10% students at your current school.


Top 10% at T4 schools won't get you the same opportunities as a transfer at T1 schools. For example, I did both OCIs at NYLS and BU. There were firms who came to BU that had a top 20% cut-off while the SAME firms required top 5 or 10 students (not %) at NYLS - a school with a class size of over 500. That's about top 1-2%.

I expect that the BU transfer would get more screeners, but I'm curious whether this would actually increase biglaw chances (firms might "preselect" for screeners based on 1L grades without taking into account your transfer status until later in the process). If you don't mind me asking, did you get an offer at BU's OCI?

Regardless of the answer, I think your situation is a good example of where a transfer into T1 makes sense if you didn't leave behind $$$. You didn't really lose anything (assuming top 10% at T4 =/= biglaw) and you have much better 3L job prospects being at BU: it opens up a new market while still allowing possibility of returning to your "home" market.

I don't mind you asking -
I had 6 screeners, 2 call-backs, and would have gotten one offer (according to the hiring partner) had I responded to their callback a week earlier (all offers were out by the time I did my call back). I keep kicking myself, but it really wasn't my fault - stupid USPS forwarding mail...

Nevertheless, I have a paid summer job.

redsox24
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: T4 Transfer Options, Scholarship Bump?

Postby redsox24 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Apply to BC & BU.

P.S. Does your current law school have a pattern & practice of delaying transcripts for transfer attempts ?


Will apply to both plus Notre Dame. Would prefer BC as the place I'm at now is full of anti-Catholic bigots.

RWU does delay, a friend of mine has had problems and she applied over a month ago. The Dean made a "don't leave us for Notre Dame" comment to me the other day and I suspect I'll be called down shortly for a meeting where they try and talk me out of it by flashing extra $$$. Her GPA was lower than mine and they offered her 75% scholarship.

Still wondering my chances at BC/BU/ND. I know top 5% for a T4 is generally the standard but does anyone want to provide some insight as to whether top 10% would cut it?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.