t4->Cornell; LOR advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wilc0phan

t4->Cornell; LOR advice

Postby wilc0phan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:47 pm

3.8 based on first semester including advisory grades which of course, I hope to bump from A- to A. This place me certainly in the top 10%, based on previous years that started at 3.65+; the school won't tell me the GPA for the top %5 or 1% of past years. I know this jump requires close to top1% so just bare with me, please.

I know going from T4--t-14, based on what's out there, typically requires being in the top1%. This semester I did not get complacent and have (from how I perceive it as compared to last) more motivation, much more efficient and effective study habits and honestly, I feel prepared and confident going into the final stretch, just want to seal the deal and try and go to the best school possible from a list I've put together--Cornell tops that list, GULC is next (and perhaps more likely) then a few schools in NYC and BOS.

I'm getting a LOR from a Harvard JD and undergrad professor I have ( would a LOR recommender include his/her education or professional background?--he's a super polished guy and I figured it couldn't hurt). I've really developed a good relationship with him and he has noted his support of what I want to accomplish in the future (big law, perhaps), as well as noting my performance and sharp questions. Also, one from my LRW professor who is a BC guy and based on our talks, knows I came from finance and would like to end up back there. There is a chance I get a B+ in that class for the year. I struggled a bit with my writing in the beginning, mainly due to lack of experience, but I asked him because I thought he saw my personal struggle as well as major improvements as a writer. Any advice here? Bag the rec. from the lower grade and make sure its from a professor I got an A from? Ask a 3rd in case?

For this summer I didn't pursue anything that jumps off the page (focused on grades and concern for my transient location status) but will likely be working for a state dept. which another professor said is all but locked for me. This professor has also asked me to do some research regarding a proposed article he's thinking about. I did not ask him for a LOR b/c if he helps me get a job with a friend and colleague of his, and then I transfer, I figure thats kind of a dick move on my part, no? I'm kinda lost here.

Where should I be shooting for and any other advice is greatly appreciated. On a side note, I did my undergrad at a school with top program for business in hospitality, restaurant and tourism. Cornell has the #1 school for this field undergrad and postgrad. I have a very strong interest in pursuing commercial litigation and hope to end up doing something in this industry. They don't have any specific areas of concentration in their JD program that includes this field, minus 1, I think. But I was wondering how I might try to include this as a big part of why I would want to attend Cornell and perhaps develop in that area where I have a passion to work. Worthwhile?

jessuf

Re: t4->Cornell; LOR advice

Postby jessuf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:13 pm

1.) Have professors who gave you A's give you LORs. Looks way better than undergrad prof & B+ professor.

2.) Cornell doesn't allow transfers to participate in their OCI. Do you have ties to the NY area? How do you plan on finding 2L summer SA in big law if OCI is not an option for you at Cornell? Is your T4 in NY? Does your T4 have any big law employers at OCI, and can you participate in your T4's OCI?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Jessuf wrote:1.) Have professors who gave you A's give you LORs. Looks way better than undergrad prof & B+ professor.

2.) Cornell doesn't allow transfers to participate in their OCI. Do you have ties to the NY area? How do you plan on finding 2L summer SA in big law if OCI is not an option for you at Cornell? Is your T4 in NY? Does your T4 have any big law employers at OCI, and can you participate in your T4's OCI?

I don't think this is true. There were transfers at our OCI. But I know transfers have a hard time, because most firms don't generally hire transfers from schools which are not among that firm's target schools. Check with career services.

Your LORs should be from the law professors who know you best and would write you the best one.

From what I've seen Cornell Law has pretty much zero connection to the hotel school, so I wouldn't emphasize that in your personal statement. And as far as I know not many firms have a substantial client base in this industry (as least on the litigation side), so I'm not sure how one would go about getting into that.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:45 pm

From Cornell's website:

Can transfer students participate in the Fall Recruitment Program?
Yes, the Career Services Office will do its best to accommodate transfer students' participation in the Fall Recruitment Program.

Can transfer students become a member of a law journal?
Yes, transfer students who are interested in journal membership are able to participate in a transfer student write-on competition.

OP: You have a bunch of hypotheticals and I'd imagine jumping from top 10 percent to top 2/1 percent is no easy task. Most if not all of those ahead of you are likely working just as hard as you. And even then, t4 to t14, especially Cornell, doesn't happen often. You should consider more schools ranked 30 - 14, particularly those in your region.

As far as LORs, get them from the law school professors who know you best and gave you the highest grade.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:59 pm

wilc0phan wrote:On a side note, I did my undergrad at a school with top program for business in hospitality, restaurant and tourism. Cornell has the #1 school for this field undergrad and postgrad .... But I was wondering how I might try to include this as a big part of why I would want to attend Cornell and perhaps develop in that area where I have a passion to work. Worthwhile?

Yale has the #1 school for a graduate degree in forestry. I once went camping in a forest. I am also a big fan of Smoky the Bear. I should have thought of this when I was applying to law schools.... Bit of a stretch bro.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 am

I applied and was accepted to Cornell last year as a transfer, and the reason that I went to Michigan instead was because Cornell DID NOT let transfers do the New York job fair. I AM NOT making this up, I don't care what their website says. They are allowed to do that fall OCI, but that's not even close to number of employers at the NY fair and it's a much smaller program.

Please check out some of the transfer threads from last year. I was NOT the only person who reported this and I'm definitely not making it up considering I wanted to go to Cornell.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:31 pm

I actually went to their website expecting to find that it said you could not participate in OCI. I've always thought that as well.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Mce252 wrote:I actually went to their website expecting to find that it said you could not participate in OCI. I've always thought that as well.

Yeah, their website is different from what happens in practice. In the acceptance letter it said you needed to be accepted prior to x date to participate in OCI (can't remember the date, but it was super early). They didn't accept anyone (at least anyone on TLS) last year prior to that date, so those of us accepted after couldn't participate in the NY job fair. I actually tried to call a bunch of people in the office about it, but everyone was away or couldn't answer my questions.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm

keg411 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I actually went to their website expecting to find that it said you could not participate in OCI. I've always thought that as well.

Yeah, their website is different from what happens in practice. In the acceptance letter it said you needed to be accepted prior to x date to participate in OCI (can't remember the date, but it was super early). They didn't accept anyone (at least anyone on TLS) last year prior to that date, so those of us accepted after couldn't participate in the NY job fair. I actually tried to call a bunch of people in the office about it, but everyone was away or couldn't answer my questions.

Ah, so it's not really a stated goal but it's more of an exclusion by practice?

Sure, you CAN participate in OCI if you get accepted before X date, but no one gets accepted before X date?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:47 pm

At the Drive-In wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Ah, so it's not really a stated goal but it's more of an exclusion by practice?

Sure, you CAN participate in OCI if you get accepted before X date, but no one gets accepted before X date?

That's basically how it worked last year. Maybe it'll change this year.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:56 pm

If you talk to somebody in admissions about this, make sure to ask if you can participate in the New York job fair, this (and not the smaller OCI events here in Ithaca) are where most students get their jobs.

Return to “Transfers”