Seeking Insight on Transferring to Columbia

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFR

Seeking Insight on Transferring to Columbia

Postby TFR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 pm

I've read alot of posts that supposedly Columbia is a very transfer friendly school and the ABA reports that in 2010 they accepted 78 transfers. However, it seems that this past year they cut the number in half to 42, and I'd like some insight on this from Columbia transfer 2L's. More specifically:

1. Is there any indication they will cut back further this year due to complaints from native students, or conversely that they will bring the number back up, as it didn't make much of a difference for natives at OCI?

2. When they cut back, were they just overall more selective, as in accepting only higher ranked students, or were they concentrating more on taking transfers from the NY region, or otherwise from higher ranked schools in comparison to other years?

3. Any specific advice on how to get increase chances at specifically Columbia (other than keep high ranking. ps? lors? softs?)?

lawschoolgrapedme

Re: Seeking Insight on Transferring to Columbia

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 am

1. No indication they will raise it back. No student can tell you this.

2. They were more selective, or at least I'd imagine...again, no admissions officers here.

3. All that matters is rank/school --> Maybe show a biglaw focus.

Bramwell

Postby Bramwell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 am

According to the Dean, the reason the transfer class was smaller this year was due to an unusually high yield in the 2010-2011 1L class. Thus, there were not as many seats available in the 2011-2012 2L/transfer class.

Additionally, the dean said that the yield was even higher than last year, notwithstanding that total applications were down 1% for the entering class of 1Ls for 2011-2012. The dean thus concluded that this coming year's transfer class will likely be equal to or even less than last year's.

This I heard at one of the round-table talks the dean occasionally invites students to. This discussion was in response to a complaint from a 1L that all of his core spring classes are in large sections of 120 students.

As to which factors will be most important in a transfer application: that question was not asked, nor would I expect the school to announce any clear standard as to balance of school prestige and first year rank in a transfer application.
Last edited by Bramwell on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFR

Postby TFR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Bramwell wrote:According to Dean Schizer, the reason the transfer class was smaller this year was due to an unusually high yield in the 2010-2011 1L class. Thus, there were not as many seats available in the 2011-2012 2L/transfer class.

Additionally, the dean said that the yield was even higher than last year, notwithstanding that total applications were down 1% for the entering class of 1Ls for 2011-2012. The dean thus concluded that this coming year's transfer class will likely be equal to or even less than last year's.

This I heard at one of the round-table talks the dean occasionally invites students to. This discussion was in response to a complaint from a 1L that all of his core spring classes are in large sections of 120 students.

As to which factors will be most important in a transfer application: that question was not asked, nor would I expect the school to announce any clear standard as to balance of school prestige and first year rank in a transfer application. I can attempt to surmise some factors anecdotally from my own transfer class. Send a PM

PMd

Return to “Transfers”