[locked]

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Geetar Man

[locked]

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm

jainyv wrote:I am currently at a top 40 state law school. The school is pretty good for if you want to stay in state. I have done very well in my first semester my gpa is between 3.7 and 4.0 and I was wondering what would be my chances of transferring to yale or harvard or somewhere in the t14 like nyu? Is it worth it to go there besides a possibility of a more prestigious clerkship? Is law review possible, and this is a question for other transfers: how have they been able to fit in?

I'm sorry, but there's a HUGE difference between a 4.0 and a 3.7. What is your current rank, percentage wise, in your class? I'm assuming you're a 1L, since your post implies this, so you might not yet be ranked yet.

A few relevant questions:

Where do you want to work after law school? This can be a specific answer such as "biglaw" or whatever, or a more general answer, such as a specific state.
What is the total debt you're looking at attending your current school vs other top schools?

3|ink

Re: transferring to the top 3

Postby 3|ink » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
jainyv wrote:I am currently at a top 40 state law school. The school is pretty good for if you want to stay in state. I have done very well in my first semester my gpa is between 3.7 and 4.0 and I was wondering what would be my chances of transferring to yale or harvard or somewhere in the t14 like nyu? Is it worth it to go there besides a possibility of a more prestigious clerkship? Is law review possible, and this is a question for other transfers: how have they been able to fit in?

I'm sorry, but there's a HUGE difference between a 4.0 and a 3.7. What is your current rank, percentage wise, in your class? I'm assuming you're a 1L, since your post implies this, so you might not yet be ranked yet.

Where do you want to work after law school? This can be a specific answer such as "biglaw" or whatever, or a more general answer, such as a specific state.
What is the total debt you're looking at attending your current school vs other top schools?

3) Please don't attempt to give transfer advice if you haven't been through 1L year yet.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 pm

3|ink wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

3) Please don't attempt to give transfer advice if you haven't been through 1L year yet.

1) My brother transferred from a TTT to a t14, so I know a little about the process.
2) I didn't give any advice.
3) The questions I posed are relevant to almost every transfer thread I've seen on TLS, and not surprisingly to this thread as well.

ETA: Don't tell me what not to do in a certain thread when I have never done what you told me not to do ever in any transfer thread.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Geetar Man wrote:1) My brother transferred from a TTT to a t14, so I know a little about the process.

Geetar Man wrote:2) I didn't give any advice.
3) The questions I posed are relevant to almost every transfer thread I've seen on TLS, and not surprisingly to this thread as well.

1) 0Ls should not be posting questions here.
Geetar Man wrote:ETA: Don't tell me what not to do in a certain thread when I have never done what you told me not to do ever in any transfer thread.

Shut up.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:1) My brother transferred from a TTT to a t14, so I know a little about the process.

Geetar Man wrote:2) I didn't give any advice.

1) 0Ls should not be posting questions here.
Geetar Man wrote:ETA: Don't tell me what not to do in a certain thread when I have never done what you told me not to do ever in any transfer thread.

Shut up.

I believe that these questions were particularly relevant to the OPs question since, you know, other people just so happened to ask the same questions. I was basically asking questions that others would ask, so that 1) the OP can get his questions answer faster and 2) so my post count can be as high as yours.

Show me the rule(s) where it says that 0Ls are not allowed to ask questions in specific threads. If you cannot, go fuck yourself.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Show me the rule(s) where it says that 0Ls are not allowed to ask questions in specific threads. If you cannot, go fuck yourself.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=170597

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:Show me the rule(s) where it says that 0Ls are not allowed to ask questions in specific threads. If you cannot, go fuck yourself.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=170597

I've seen that. This following, which is pertinent, is quoted directly from that link.

TLS wrote:0Ls are welcome to be here, to read and to make appropriate comments, but read note #3 below before you comment.

I believe my comment falls under the bolded.

TLS wrote:3) Please don't attempt to give transfer advice if you haven't been through 1L year yet.

I didn't give any advice, plain and simple. Never have, never will, until after 1L.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm sorry, but there's a HUGE difference between a 4.0 and a 3.7.

This qualifies as advice. And it's not necessarily true if #1 in the class has the 4.0 and #2 has a 3.7. Curves are not evenly distributed, especially at the very top.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Mce252 wrote:

This qualifies as advice. And it's not necessarily true if #1 in the class has the 4.0 and #2 has a 3.7.

How is that advice? Advice is a recommendation offered as a guide to some sort of action. I don't see any sort of implied recommendation in that sentence. So no, it doesn't qualify as advice.

I think that was more of a statement, a declarative sentence that is either true or false, which in this case, depends on OP's school.

ETA: Stop derailing OPs thread more than you already have. You should have PMd me if you felt like being a Billy Badass today. I think the mods would agree that I wasn't giving advice and that my questions were appropriate per TLS policies.
Last edited by Geetar Man on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

This qualifies as advice. And it's not necessarily true if #1 in the class has the 4.0 and #2 has a 3.7.

How is that advice? Advice is a recommendation offered as a guide to some sort of action. I don't see any sort of implied recommendation in that sentence. So no, it doesn't qualify as advice.

I think that was more of a statement, a declarative sentence that is either true or false, which in this case, depends on OP's school.

Go away.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

Go away.

No. This thread is relevant to my interests. Yet, you and 3|ink have nearly ruined it by trying to police my comments. Neither of you are Mods, so what gives?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 pm

If you're a 0L, no, it's not relevant to your interests as far as this site is concerned. Go read a torts textbook or something.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Mce252 wrote:If you're a 0L, no, it's not relevant to your interests as far as this site is concerned. Go read a torts textbook or something.

Wow, you are such a sore fucking loser. This IS relevant to my interests as far as this site is concerned.

I don't believe 0L prep will help you more than marginally (if anything) so, no.

And get out of here if you have nothing helpful to contribute to the OP, flame.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I usually don't give a fuck about policing the rules on this forum, but:
1.) You can really fuck someone over by giving them bad advice on transferring.
2.) You're a 0L
3.) If your brother transferred, have him come on. You are not even remotely qualified to give any advice on this subject.
4.) GTFO

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

3|ink wrote:I usually don't give a fuck about policing the rules on this forum, but:
2.) You're a 0L
3.) If your brother transferred, have him come on. You are not even remotely qualified to give any advice on this subject.
4.) GTFO

Did you seriously not read anything in this thread after your comment?

Fuckin come on dude! You're better than that.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
3|ink wrote:I usually don't give a fuck about policing the rules on this forum, but:
2.) You're a 0L
4.) GTFO

Most people would agree that you were giving advice. You even claimed you were qualified to do so because your brother transferred law schools.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 pm

3|ink wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
2.) You're a 0L
4.) GTFO

Most people would agree that you were giving advice. You even claimed you were qualified to do so because your brother transferred law schools.

Wow. Your reading comprehension ability is astronomically terrible. I'm sorry, but it wasn't advice; stop that.

And I said that my brother did transfer, which can mean that I know a little more than nothing. I still never gave advice though.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 pm

I was interested in responses to the original post. Any thoughts on that?

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm

There's only one way to settle this pissing contest. Drink lots of water, and go for distance. Winner takes all.

OP - You have a solid chance at T6, and a good shot at H. Y/S are very difficult given the small class size. Apply to HCN, and if you have the money to spend on apps, throw in Y/S. For now focus on grades. You should also start talking to Profs. for their advice and to secure their recs. Aim to complete all your apps early (as in June 1).

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I was interested in responses to the original post. Any thoughts on that?

Impossible to give any real advice based on what OP provided. 3.7 is crap at some schools, top of the class at others. Rank is all that matters.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
2.) You're a 0L
4.) GTFO

Wow. Your reading comprehension ability is astronomically terrible. I'm sorry, but it wasn't advice; stop that.

And I said that my brother did transfer, which can mean that I know a little more than nothing. I still never gave advice though.

:shock:

BK201

Postby BK201 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:02 am

Geetar Man wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
2.) You're a 0L
4.) GTFO

--ImageRemoved--

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:07 am

No more derailing OP's thread. If someone is doing something they shouldn't, use the report button rather than shitting up the thread.

Since this took up OP's entire first page I have split the derailment off. If 0L's/1L's should err on the side of not saying anything in this forum unless they are absolutely sure. If you're a 0L/1L and what you post is likely to be posted by someone else, you should probably just wait until someone with experience posts it.

Return to “Transfers”