Recycling LORs

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
scrowell

Recycling LORs

Postby scrowell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

If I get one LOR from a law prof, can I reuse one from an undergrad prof that I used to get into law school as my second LOR? What if I had already applied to that school using the same LOR? Thoughts?

concurrent fork

Re: Recycling LORs

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 pm

scrowell wrote:If I get one LOR from a law prof, can I reuse one from an undergrad prof that I used to get into law school as my second LOR? What if I had already applied to that school using the same LOR? Thoughts?

Even for schools that don't explicitly prohibit this, I think it looks lazy. You have to assume that your competition is using two law professors (and the vast majority probably are), so why risk being dinged for something you can easily control?

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am

makes sense, thanks dude.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 am

Pretty sure the only school I used an old LOR for (in addition to two professor ones) was Northwestern. And that was only because they like employer LOR's. Otherwise, just get two law profs; and don't worry about them knowing you super-well -- just find the profs that gave you A's.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm

I think it depends on the quality of your old LORS. If you know they are absolutely stellar, I don't think it's a bad idea to use them in place of an average law school profs letter.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Mce252 wrote:I think it depends on the quality of your old LORS. If you know they are absolutely stellar, I don't think it's a bad idea to use them in place of an average law school profs letter.

I know that one of my UG LORs is. Do you think it would matter if I used it to apply to the same school twice (once as a 1L and once as a transfer)?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:28 am

scrowell wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I think it depends on the quality of your old LORS. If you know they are absolutely stellar, I don't think it's a bad idea to use them in place of an average law school profs letter.

I know that one of my UG LORs is. Do you think it would matter if I used it to apply to the same school twice (once as a 1L and once as a transfer)?

I'm honestly not sure if schools would look back at your old application materials but I don't imagine it would matter.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Makes sense, thanks. Any other opinions?

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:25 pm

scrowell wrote:

Just to reiterate-- some schools explicitly require 2 LS profs (Columbia, a couple other T14s I think). If you are set on using an UG LOR, make sure to read the instructions for each school carefully to avoid auto ding.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Were you able to "do a lil HW once in a while, and just chill out and watch movies and stuff mosta the time," like you wanted to ITT? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123652

I hope so because that was a wonderful thread. Good luck transferring.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Were you able to "do a lil HW once in a while, and just chill out and watch movies and stuff mosta the time," like you wanted to ITT? http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=123652

I hope so because that was a wonderful thread. Good luck transferring.

Hahaha, glad you appreciate my work. And yeah, it has been a pretty chill year for the most part. Just didn't pick a school that was a great fit for me I guess. Thanks for the kind wishes!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:40 pm

If possible, don't risk

Return to “Transfers”