TTT- Top 3%

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawStudent4567

TTT- Top 3%

Postby LawStudent4567 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi guys, I'm currently at a TTT school and finished the fall semester with a 3.7 gpa and ranked 3/120. I scored a 158 on the lsat. I would like to transfer back to PA if possible but am open to the possibility of going to school else where.

I was wondering what my chances were of transfering to schools like Pitt, Penn State, and Temple were.

Also should I consider possibly applying to some even higher ranked schools? And if so what schools on the east coast would be practical? I wasn't sure given that my law school class is small and it's possible I could drop down spots if my second semester grades weren't as high. I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

TTRansfer

Re: TTT- Top 3%

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm

As long as those schools are taking transfers, you are one of the easiest ins around at each of them. No idea how big their transfer classes are -- that'd be the only issue.

With that said, I think transferring to any of them is a major risk since none of the three have amazing job statistics (especially Penn State). I would guess that Temple would be the best bet (and I would guess you could get in-state tuition), but you'd be giving up a really nice class rank for a real risk.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 am

TTRansfer wrote:With that said, I think transferring to any of them is a major risk since none of the three have amazing job statistics (especially Penn State).

I respectfully disagree, TTRansfer. I understand where you're coming from completely - it's a gamble to transfer out when the employment stats are not solid. I'm willing to bet, generally, that any of those schools have better employment stats than a TTT.

OP: Shoot for the moon. Try to get as logically high as you can get. Top 3% at a TTT is very likely in T14 range. There may even be a chance for T6 (although HYS is probably a no-go).

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 am

UPENN! print that shit out and put it over your desk and aim for #1. Nice work, now double down on your effort.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 am

Apply to Pitt, Temple & Penn State as well as to Penn & Georgetown. Cornell should be considered. If you are going to transfer, then this is a good time to reach.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:17 am

I went top 3% at a TTTT -> t10, apply broadly and EARLY.

WVULawStudent

Postby WVULawStudent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 am

Oh, Pitt.

LawStudent4567

Postby LawStudent4567 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 pm

I appreciate the advice everyone and I will be attempting to apply to all the schools mentioned and even a few more.

I was wondering exactely how you go about applying "early" when your application is not complete until your spring grades are in (i think our finals end like the third week of may or something).

Should I just have my application, LORs, PS, Resume, and first semester grades/rank all sent to these schools as soon as the May 1st deadline opens or does it really matter?

Again I appreciate all the help! Thanks again!

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Applying early = sending app first day it is available, emailing grades to the school the day they come out, sending your official transcripts when they are available. Caveat - some, but only a few, schools that require grades come through lsac which won't let you do this strategy.

Don't be afraid to call / email admissions offices either.

Return to “Transfers”