Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:27 pm

So I recently heard of 2-3 people I know, for fact, that transferred successfully to GW from Catholic University. Only thing is, these students were not nearly in the top of their class, in fact, 1 of them lost scholarship funding because the stip was top 30% and he/she was more like top 50%. I was so confused when I heard about this... does this make sense to anyone???

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby monkey85 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:47 pm

GW likes to house a small army of law students. Looks like they just got 2-3 new recruits AND their tuition.

Money talks. GW adcomm probably didn't care about their performance or whether they would do well.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:52 pm

monkey85 wrote:GW likes to house a small army of law students. Looks like they just got 2-3 new recruits AND their tuition.

Money talks. GW adcomm probably didn't care about their performance or whether they would do well.


Is this a trend for any such schools? I mean obviously GW isn't T14, but it's a pretty damn good school compared to Catholic. It seems weird they would just want more tuition from Median Catholic students as opposed to accepting a few extra incoming 1L's? I mean shit, I wouldn't mind transferring to GW sticker if I was a median (likely jobless) 1L student at Catholic...

rockthered86
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby rockthered86 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Arrow wrote:Going to a Local School: I am very tempted to say that going to a local school gives you a small boost (Loyola ->UCLA; Hastings -> Berkeley; Temple/Villanova -> Penn; American -> GULC; Brooklyn -> NYU/Columbia, etc). I realize that top schools often receive more applications from local schools, but my gut instinct here seems to notice this small pattern of favoritism. Another reason may be that top schools like to cherry pick the best students from the lower local schools. This allows them to weaken the competition (so to speak) while simultaneously increasing their own reputation.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby de5igual » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm

schools choose their transfers not only for $, but their likelihood to get a job. usually this translates into only wanting high grades. however, if this median person you know has ridiculous credentials that makes him a shoe-in for any job that boosts GW's stats, grades might not be as relevant.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 pm

rockthered86 wrote:
Arrow wrote:Going to a Local School: I am very tempted to say that going to a local school gives you a small boost (Loyola ->UCLA; Hastings -> Berkeley; Temple/Villanova -> Penn; American -> GULC; Brooklyn -> NYU/Columbia, etc). I realize that top schools often receive more applications from local schools, but my gut instinct here seems to notice this small pattern of favoritism. Another reason may be that top schools like to cherry pick the best students from the lower local schools. This allows them to weaken the competition (so to speak) while simultaneously increasing their own reputation.


I could see this being a small boost, as you stated, but that's a pretty immense one considering the typical stats that are usually attributed to successful T20 transfers, no?

TheOtherGuy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TheOtherGuy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I transferred from TTTT to school in the 50s after losing scholarship and finishing 1L in the top half. I think strong writing, references, and ties to the community go a long way in a transfer application.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 pm

TheOtherGuy wrote:I transferred from TTTT to school in the 50s after losing scholarship and finishing 1L in the top half. I think strong writing, references, and ties to the community go a long way in a transfer application.


that is awesome, congrats! I'm a 0L but due to my GPA holding me back from schools I should/desire to be at I am heavily looking into the prospects of transferring. I will be paying a deposit at my choice as of now and retaking the LSAT (original 166) in June. If I crack 170 I will most certainly reapply, but in the case this does not happen, transferring to a T 14 is my dream...

I guess the moral of the story here is to just send out a ton of transfer apps, given the unpredictability, and see what happens. All I'd be losing would be a few hundred on the app fees with outrageous potential for vast benefits and opportunities.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:47 pm

f0bolous wrote:schools choose their transfers not only for mad skrilla, but their likelihood to get a [ERROR: 404]. usually this translates into only wanting high grades. however, if this median person you know has ridiculous credentials that makes him a shoe-in for any [ERROR: 404] that boosts GW's stats, grades might not be as relevant.


this is definitely a logical explanation to similar cases, only i know for a fact that relevant WE/other unique softs really were NOT the case... interesting

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 pm

TLSwag wrote:that is awesome, congrats! I'm a 0L but due to my GPA holding me back from schools I should/desire to be at I am heavily looking into the prospects of transferring. I will be paying a deposit at my choice as of now and retaking the LSAT (original 166) in June. If I crack 170 I will most certainly reapply, but in the case this does not happen, transferring to a T 14 is my dream...

I guess the moral of the story here is to just send out a ton of transfer apps, given the unpredictability, and see what happens. All I'd be losing would be a few hundred on the app fees with outrageous potential for vast benefits and opportunities.


1. 0L's do not post in Transfer threads
2. Do not go to law school intending to transfer! How many times must this be repeated?

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Extremely Unlikely Transfer Story Successful - Confused.

Postby TLSwag » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 am

crossarmant wrote:
TLSwag wrote:that is awesome, congrats! I'm a 0L but due to my GPA holding me back from schools I should/desire to be at I am heavily looking into the prospects of transferring. I will be paying a deposit at my choice as of now and retaking the LSAT (original 166) in June. If I crack 170 I will most certainly reapply, but in the case this does not happen, transferring to a T 14 is my dream...

I guess the moral of the story here is to just send out a ton of transfer apps, given the unpredictability, and see what happens. All I'd be losing would be a few hundred on the app fees with outrageous potential for vast benefits and opportunities.


1. 0L's do not post in Transfer threads
2. Do not go to law school intending to transfer! How many times must this be repeated?


1) I apologize, I just thought it was an extremely odd scenario and was really just curious as to what people thought. I did not know where else to post it.
2) Thanks for that, I am fully aware and if you read anything I actually posted, you would understand i am not going to law school intending to transfer. i am retaking the lsat in june and paying a deposit at a school i am already content with, i just said it was my dream to transfer to a t14. that does not imply any kind of intentions or fundamental basis in my decision for attendance. Not to mention I wasn't asking for your moral lesson in that regard and it was completely unrelated to my OP.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.