UT ---> T6

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
movingonup123

UT ---> T6

Postby movingonup123 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 am

I am a 1L at Texas. While Texas does not release rankings, I can estimate that I am right around top 20%. I am probably between 15 and 20%, but since there is no way to be sure, I'll say 20% to be safe. Actual GPA is a touch above 3.7. Do I stand a shot at transferring to the T6? I guess I should be more specific, since I am only considering Y/S/Chi and possibly H. I understand Columbia and NYU may be easier to transfer to than the others due to class size, but I am not interested in those two. Nor am I interested in transferring to anywhere outside of the T6. Y/S/Chi are the only schools I would feel comfortable leaving Texas for, but Harvard could possibly pull me away.

Before the bashing comes, this is not in response to Texas dropping a couple of spots in the rankings. I would still be very content graduating from Texas, and I would not have done 1L year here otherwise. I simply have a desire to clerk and possibly one day get into academia, and I have lurked around TLS and law school blogs long enough to know what schools offer the best prospects for this, not to mention many of our professors went to T6 schools (esp. Harvard). As I mentioned above, I am only interested in Y/S/Chi and possibly H, but not Columbia, NYU, or any other T14 school.

Coolgrnmen

Re: UT ---> T6

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

movingonup123 wrote:Before the bashing comes, this is not in response to Texas dropping a couple of spots in the rankings.

I'm pretty sure that because you said it, that was at least one factor in you considering transfer.

In other news, I think your chances are relatively slim where you stand now...but good luck!

movingonup123

Postby movingonup123 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
movingonup123 wrote:Before the bashing comes, this is not in response to Texas dropping a couple of spots in the rankings.

I'm pretty sure that because you said it, that was at least one factor in you considering transfer.

In other news, I think your chances are relatively slim where you stand now...but good luck!

I said it because I have heard other people talking about transferring after the drop, and I have been trying to explain what a terrible reason that is. I've even heard one kid say he is from CA and wants to work in CA, but he picked Texas over UCLA and USC because Texas broke into the T14, magically making it a national school. Now he is complaining and talking about transferring to UCLA because UCLA moved back on top of Texas. I loled hard. As you can see from the schools I am most interested in, that has nothing to do with the fluctuations in the rankings. I am not looking to lateral over to a peer school that moved up a spot, I am looking to transfer up to a school that will get me clerkship --> academia.

But yeah, I was afraid I would be out. I figured top 10% would probably get me into Chi, and I'd need closer to top 5% for Y/S. I think I am going to fill out the applications, but wait on my grades to send them. Top 20% still puts me in a very good spot for fall OCI at Texas. I do not have any offers yet, but as far as getting interviews and callbacks, I did pretty well at spring OCI here as a 1L. Texas firms are hiring Texas students, and I am fine staying here.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Try & see what happens. Targeting Yale, Stanford & Chicago makes things more difficult because they are the three smallest schools in the T-14. Probably need top 5% for Yale or Stanford to have any shot at all; top 10% for Chicago. Harvard would be the most likely to accept you with a top 10% class rank at Texas, in my opinion, simply because Harvard is a much larger law school than Yale, Stanford & Chicago.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Try & see what happens. Targeting Yale, Stanford & Chicago makes things more difficult because they are the three smallest schools in the T-14. Probably need top 5% for Yale or Stanford to have any shot at all; top 10% for Chicago. Harvard would be the most likely to accept you with a top 10% class rank at Texas, in my opinion, simply because Harvard is a much larger law school than Yale, Stanford & Chicago.

Yeah, I'm not saying not to do it, but your chances are low with what you are picking. Out of curiosity...why not Columbia or NYU? You stand a greater chance at Columbia with their large transfer classes.

movingonup123

Postby movingonup123 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:25 pm

The large class size and the location are the two reasons.

If I am going to sacrifice the relationships and network I have developed at Texas, I want to move to a school where it is easier to rebuild these things. Yale, Stanford, and Chicago all have small class sizes. This means a tighter alumni base and easier access to professors. I am still considering Harvard despite the large class size because the HLS name carries so much weight. Even if I was unable to rebuild the relationships as well as from Y/S/Chi, the degree would still put me in a good place to pursue whatever path I wanted. NYU and Columbia both have large classes.

Also, I do NOT want to live in NYC right now. I love Austin. If I move, I think I can enjoy Palo Alto, Boston (Cambridge), and Chicago, and I can deal with New Haven for a YLS degree. I believe that I simply would not enjoy NYC. If I was working in biglaw, I could probably have fun in NYC. I do not want to pay $1500/mo for a closet while in law school.

A third reason only applies to NYU. Despite USNews and what people say on TLS, I find a HYSCC degree more impressive than NYU.

Return to “Transfers”