Should I Stay or Should I go Now? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I Stay or Should I go Now?

Great Chance of Getting In but consider staying (75%+)
17%
Great Chance of Getting In and Definitely Go! (75%+)
39%
It Could Go Either Way - I'd stay where you are (50%ish chance)
No votes
It Could Go Either Way - Try and get in and go (50%ish chance)
33%
Never Hurts to Try but Don't Get Your Hopes Up - I'd stay even if you get in!(25% or less)
No votes
Never Hurts to Try - and if you get in DEFINITELY GO! (25% or less)
11%
Don't Transfer, Don't Leave - You Are Rocking Your School So Stay!
No votes

Total votes: 18

Splintor49

New

Should I Stay or Should I go Now?

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:54 pm

I am a 1L at a school ranked in the 60's. After my first semester I have a GPA over 4.0 (All A's with an A+) and Ranked Top 2.5% - 5 of 199. I want to live in the New York City area. What do you think the chances (if I achieve all A's this semester) that I could get into NYU or Columbia Law? Also, I have a $35k per year scholarship at my current school (tuition is $45k)... so there is something to consider! Should I even try? If so, should I even Go?

Lasers

Gold

Re: Should I Stay or Should I go Now?

Post by Lasers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 pm

try, my friend. never not try. there isn't a huge burden in throwing apps in.

as for leaving if you do get accepted...that's a different issue i don't think i can help you with.

one question though: is debt an issue for you? you would be leaving behind a nice scholly.

jess

Post by jess » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Jessuf wrote:you forgot to mention what city/state/region you're in now. are you already in/near ny?
I currently live in the tri-state area. In other words, I wouldn't have to move to go to NYU or Columbia.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Lasers wrote:try, my friend. never not try. there isn't a huge burden in throwing apps in.

as for leaving if you do get accepted...that's a different issue i don't think i can help you with.

one question though: is debt an issue for you? you would be leaving behind a nice scholly.
Debt is an issue if I don't get a decent job... lol. That's hard to say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chiwachiwa

New

Post by chiwachiwa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 pm

You should throw some apps out no matter what. Can't hurt. If your school feeds into the market in which you want to work, you should probably stay with a $35k/year scholarship. If not, transfer to CLS/NYU. If you get into HY, you should probably transfer no matter what.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am

chiwachiwa wrote:You should throw some apps out no matter what. Can't hurt. If your school feeds into the market in which you want to work, you should probably stay with a $35k/year scholarship. If not, transfer to CLS/NYU. If you get into HY, you should probably transfer no matter what.
I don't have many amazing softs... Teach For America before law school. Therefore, even if I stay Top 3%, I doubt HY is an option... wouldn't you think. Especially since I'm not a URM...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”