Why do schools accept so many transfers? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Gold

Re: Why do schools accept so many transfers?

Post by kaiser » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:11 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
johansantana21 wrote: Not washed from your record bro. Everyone can smell the stink of UC Hastings or whatever place where you beat out a bunch of sub mental retards for your top 10% to transfer out.
Question though. I got into a T6 the first time around, and went to a T20 instead to start. How come you only got into Cornell?
3.1ish GPA and a mid January app.

My LSAT was 170+.
So you couldn't beat out a bunch of pot-smoking lazy sub mental undergrad retards for a decent GPA?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:11 pm

:roll: can we please get a Johan ban? Going into a transfer thread and calling everyone ttt is pretty uncool.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

kaiser wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
johansantana21 wrote: Not washed from your record bro. Everyone can smell the stink of UC Hastings or whatever place where you beat out a bunch of sub mental retards for your top 10% to transfer out.
Question though. I got into a T6 the first time around, and went to a T20 instead to start. How come you only got into Cornell?

My LSAT was 170+.
So you couldn't beat out a bunch of pot-smoking lazy sub mental undergrad retards for a decent GPA?
Yeah that's what happens when you don't try.

Also lol at being proud of NYU transfer. Couldn't get into Columbia bro? Don't worry, I'll let you know how it is at Harvard if I choose to transfer there.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:17 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
Yeah that's what happens when you don't try.

Also lol at being proud of NYU transfer. Couldn't get into Columbia bro? Don't worry, I'll let you know how it is at Harvard if I choose to transfer there.
Edit: Ok, we're being a bit immature here so I deleted the snide response I originally put. Lets not ruin this thread for others. Johan, thats great that you are top 10%, and who knows? Maybe you will transfer to Harvard. And I assure you that your classmates wouldn't look down on you. After all, you would be the one who killed it in law school, and not them. So I do not think you are right that transferring creates some kind of stigma. And idk if its just your style to want to be abrasive, but I think you could have gotten your thought across a bit more tactfully earlier, especially since your opinion was entirely based on presumption (as you have neither transferred, nor been in a class that has transfers, since you are still in 1L year).

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 am

johansantana21 wrote:
kaiser wrote:

My LSAT was 170+.
tyft

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

johansantana21 wrote: Yeah that's what happens when you don't try.

If you are anywhere close to this ridiculous in real life, no, you will not get a big law job. Do you have any friends who could work with you on life skills?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:39 am

Going to go ahead and point out that all of the transfers I know who have V10 biglaw gigs and clerkships think the "stink" of their 1L school+transfer "stinks" of roses; roses that cost less than doing all three years at the transferee school, since the 1L school was almost always much cheaper.

Trolololol, I know, but still, jaysus :roll:

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am

It doesn't need repeating but I felt like posting.

It's a windfall for the school accepting the xfers. Not only is it a bunch of revenue, but additionally, 1L grades are the best predictor of 2L and 3L grades. 1L grades + LSAT + UGPA is, probably, a really good predictor. I think some schools consider the second two in a "soft" way directly, and I expect they all consider the latter 2 by proxy by examining the transferor's 1L school.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Mce252 wrote:
ben4847 wrote:It has nothing to do with money. Anyone who transfers into a school would have been thrilled to come and pay full tuition the year before as well. Thus, the incoming schools could have had 3 years of full tuition from them instead of 2.

If you don't believe the stated explanation (that the wanted to see who was actually good at law school instead of relying on LSAT/GPA), then you'll need give a better one.

This is stupid. It's all about rankings and money. Accepting them as 1Ls lowers LSAT/GPA stats. Accepting them as transfers allows for high performing students to pay full tuitioin without reporting stats.
No, your post is stupid.
If all the schools would just admit those extra students the first year, it would hurt none of their ratings, since they would all take the hit of admitting those students.
If Harvard admits an extra 30 a year, and Columbia an extra 75, and NYU an extra 60, etc., there would still be the exact same rankings. Harvard's extra 30 will come from Columbia. Columbia's extra 75 and NYU's 60 will come from lower T14s, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atashakor

New

Post by atashakor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 pm

A prof. told me that the ABA is looking into this and may soon come up with a new rule where schools can take only a limited number of transfers.
Schools pretty much cheat their way by accepting transfer students without giving them any scholarship and no of reporting their lsat/gpa

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 pm

atashakor wrote:A prof. told me that the ABA is looking into this and may soon come up with a new rule where schools can take only a limited number of transfers.
Schools pretty much cheat their way by accepting transfer students without giving them any scholarship and no of reporting their lsat/gpa
Forcing schools to report the LSAT/GPA of transfers would be entirely counterintuitive. The entire point is that, for some students, LSAT is simply not reflective of their ability to perform well in law school. LSAT is merely a proxy for law school performance, so the existence of an entire year of 1L grades entirely negates the value and need of showing that LSAT score. The whole point is for the transferee schools to bring in the best law school student, and not merely those with the highest LSAT scores (and when I applied as a transfer, only 1 school even asked for LSAT score). By that logic, if a student attends a T20 on scholarship, had a 173 LSAT, but didn't do well 1L year, a T6 might as well snatch him up as a transfer regardless of 1L grades since LSAT must be reported, and this transfer has a desirable LSAT score. Thus, it would create the same odd incentives that plague the 1L admissions cycle, and stops the school from trying to bring in the best actual candidates in favor of those with the best LSAT scores.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:22 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:So that non-transfers can feel superior.
not sure why, since transfer students usually do well at their new schools
They laugh at your failure to do well on a test as easy as the LSAT.
Most transfers will be able to laugh at your failure to beast OCI when we come in and steal your jobs.

Non-transfers:

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:47 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
ben4847 wrote:It has nothing to do with money. Anyone who transfers into a school would have been thrilled to come and pay full tuition the year before as well. Thus, the incoming schools could have had 3 years of full tuition from them instead of 2.

If you don't believe the stated explanation (that the wanted to see who was actually good at law school instead of relying on LSAT/GPA), then you'll need give a better one.

This is stupid. It's all about rankings and money. Accepting them as 1Ls lowers LSAT/GPA stats. Accepting them as transfers allows for high performing students to pay full tuitioin without reporting stats.
No, your post is stupid.
If all the schools would just admit those extra students the first year, it would hurt none of their ratings, since they would all take the hit of admitting those students.
If Harvard admits an extra 30 a year, and Columbia an extra 75, and NYU an extra 60, etc., there would still be the exact same rankings. Harvard's extra 30 will come from Columbia. Columbia's extra 75 and NYU's 60 will come from lower T14s, etc.

Your reasoning is marvelous.

1- You cannot force every school to do anything all at once.

2- How could a school know which students with lower scores to accept for that extra year of tuition? The reason transfers get in is becasue they performed extremely well at a lower ranked school in spite of lower scores and gpas. This would not be true in your world.

3- Accepting lower reported lsats and gpas IS NOT WOTH THE MONEY TO THEM. They get more money by having excellent graduates who donate to the school after having successful careers. This doesn't work if you accept a bunch of unknowns who end up failing out -- all for that extra year of tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Mce252 wrote:
ben4847 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

No, your post is stupid.

Your reasoning is marvelous.
Thank you, that is because I am so marvelous.
Mce252 wrote: 1- You cannot force every school to do anything all at once.
Of course not. Neither can anyone force Columbia to not cut its class size down to 100 and likely gain an edge over Stanford.
The point is, that if Harvard simply took the next 30 LSAT/GPA's from Columbia, they would not fall in the rankings, because they would be taking from the relative top of Columbia's LSAT/GPA. And Columbia would have to dip even lower to just make up those 30, even if they didn't take an extra 75.
Mce252 wrote: 2- How could a school know which students with lower scores to accept for that extra year of tuition? The reason transfers get in is becasue they performed extremely well at a lower ranked school in spite of lower scores and gpas. This would not be true in your world.
This is precisely the point. That schools are not looking for just any students as transfers. They are looking for ones who have proven themselves in 1L. And it explains precisely why schools wait the year to accept those 30, instead of taking the next 30 LSAT/GPA scorers.
Mce252 wrote: 3- Accepting lower reported lsats and gpas IS NOT WOTH THE MONEY TO THEM. They get more money by having excellent graduates who donate to the school after having successful careers. This doesn't work if you accept a bunch of unknowns who end up failing out -- all for that extra year of tuition.
Agreed. I think we agree.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 pm

First, I'm stupid. Now you agree. Mitt Romney would love you.

I assure you that the professionals who work in law school admissions have thought about this a bit. And the system isn't the way it is because of arbitrary decisions. But maybe they're all wrong and Harvard should just start accepting a few students as 1Ls who wouldn't ordinarly meet their standards. :shock:

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Mce252 wrote:
First, I'm stupid. Now you agree. Mitt Romney would love you.

I assure you that the professionals who work in law school admissions have thought about this a bit. And the system isn't the way it is because of arbitrary decisions. But maybe they're all wrong and Harvard should just start accepting a few students as 1Ls who wouldn't ordinarly meet their standards. :shock:
So you are agreeably stupid! :lol:

susancollins

New

Post by susancollins » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 am

After starting law school, some law students seek to transfer to another law school. This occurs frequently enough to warrant advice and information. There are many reasons that law students seek to transfer, including financial reasons, job relocation of a spouse or partner, or to be closer to family. Occasionally, law students will seek a transfer to another law school that they perceive as having a higher status or ranking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:12 am

susancollins wrote:After starting law school, some law students seek to transfer to another law school. This occurs frequently enough to warrant advice and information. There are many reasons that law students seek to transfer, including financial reasons, job relocation of a spouse or partner, or to be closer to family. Occasionally, law students will seek a transfer to another law school that they perceive as having a higher status or ranking.
This is the second robot-like transfer post I've read from this user.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=150

Who are you?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 am

johansantana21 wrote:
lol johan is going hard ITT

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:40 am

Why Do LSs accept so many transfers???

Why? TITCR:

The argument that accepting too many transfers might dilute the class, hurt some at OCI or might not be a good thing for the transfer students is always secondary to the primary concern of all law school admins... That is, how do we extract as much money from the student body as possibile? The answer is, of course, to expand the size of the class. And on top of it, there is no LSAT/GPA hit to worry about. I'm surprised schools aren't taking on 500 transfers each.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 am

reasonable_man wrote:Why Do LSs accept so many transfers???

Why? TITCR:

The argument that accepting too many transfers might dilute the class, hurt some at OCI or might not be a good thing for the transfer students is always secondary to the primary concern of all law school admins... That is, how do we extract as much money from the student body as possibile? The answer is, of course, to expand the size of the class. And on top of it, there is no LSAT/GPA hit to worry about. I'm surprised schools aren't taking on 500 transfers each.
Eh, taking 500 transfers would COMPLETELY fuck over their starting class. They'd never get anyone go to 1L! Admittedly, it'd be a great idea to have a law school just do the fuck away with 1L and ONLY take transfers. Just steal the other school's best students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 pm

susancollins wrote:After starting law school, some law students seek to transfer to another law school. This occurs frequently enough to warrant advice and information. There are many reasons that law students seek to transfer, including financial reasons, job relocation of a spouse or partner, or to be closer to family. Occasionally, law students will seek a transfer to another law school that they perceive as having a higher status or ranking.
In other news, cows go moo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”