Poor grades, bottom of T100 pile: should I even bother?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Re: Poor grades, bottom of T100 pile: should I even bother?

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 pm

guruburu wrote:*resurrecting a dead thread*

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was starting to feel a bit better about staying, except just the other day my dad made a comment about me transferring again…so now I'm back to torturing myself with "what ifs" again (cause I'm a masochist :) ). I should have mentioned before: two of my classes are year long, so if I get As in those this semester (I think grades break down to 60%/40%) could it counterbalance my poor performance in the fall somewhat? Maybe?

I'm sorry your family isn't more supportive. Maybe the real issue is that you should talk to them about how they should support you with what you're doing now instead of making you feel inadequate.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 am

There's absolutely no way you could transfer anywhere but down.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am

Have you calculated where all As this semester would put your GPA? It might not even be possible to go from below median first semester ---> top 10% second semester.

However, you said you're on a full scholarship so your situation really isn't that bad.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am

shock259 wrote:There's absolutely no way you could transfer anywhere but down.

I hear Cooley is nice this time of year...

But seriously, get all A's and A+'s and write one hell of an addendum explaining your situation for fall (and I mean that it better be crazily unique and demonstrate a ridiculous burden on you...like your entire family was kidnapped and you had to rescue them single-handedly using the training the CIA gave you before they discharged you for being too much of a badass).
Also, depends on your schools curve.

guruburu

Postby guruburu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Have you calculated where all As this semester would put your GPA? It might not even be possible to go from below median first semester ---> top 10% second semester.

However, you said you're on a full scholarship so your situation really isn't that bad.

I did…and it doesn't seem like it would still be enough. But if I got all As (or As/A-s) this semester, would a school take into consideration the jump in GPA from fall to spring, given the circumstances I had in fall, or is it really only the overall ranking that matters?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:27 am

guruburu wrote:I did…and it doesn't seem like it would still be enough. But if I got all As (or As/A-s) this semester, would a school take into consideration the jump in GPA from fall to spring, given the circumstances I had in fall, or is it really only the overall ranking that matters?

I´m really sorry about your situation. It sounds rough, and like you're not getting much support. Please remember the title you gave this thread, though..."should I even bother?" I assume you were referring to trying to transfer. The overwhelming response here (actually, I think it's unanimous) is that the answer is no. Just no. Several people have pointed out you won't be able to transfer at all into a better situation than the one you're in now.

It seems like your parents are disappointed in you, pressuring you, etc. I understand your desire to please them, but at some point, everyone just has to be reasonable and accept that facts are facts. Have you thoroughly explained the situation to your old man? Something along the lines of, "Dad, I know you would like for me to be in a better school, but that's just not going to happen. For whatever reason, my grades aren't good enough to transfer into a more prestigious school that would give me any tangible benefit, and at best I'd end up losing my scholarship and paying a ton of dough to end up more or less in the same situation I'm going to end up anyway. Sorry if you're disappointed, but the logical choice is to stay put and make the best of it."

Good luck, in any case.

Return to “Transfers”