URM for Transferring

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hallet

URM for Transferring

Postby hallet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Hey everyone,
I am thinking about transferring and was going to start drafting a PS. I didn't really play up the URM in my applications for 1L (basically not at all). I was wondering if I should do it this time in my PS. Does a URM factor come into play at the transfer level? Also would I be considered a URM? I am 50% Costa Rican, and the other half descending from various European countries.

Thanks for any help.

bk1

Re: URM for Transferring

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Costa Rican isn't URM. If transfer apps allow for diversity statements you should still write one.

JR1988

Postby JR1988 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Does URM status help as much in transfer admissions as it does in regular admissions?

hallet

Postby hallet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Costa Rican isn't URM. If transfer apps allow for diversity statements you should still write one.

you sure about that?
I'm seeing other blogs stating Central American is a URM.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm

JR1988 wrote:Does URM status help as much in transfer admissions as it does in regular admissions?

We have no evidence that URM has any impact in transfer admissions.

Also, it wouldn't make sense for an Adcomm to give URMs a double boost like this. A URM transfer candidate already got a boost in 0L admissions, which in all likelihood means that candidate is applying to transfer from a higher-ranked school than he/she otherwise would have. All things being equal, applying from a higher ranked school increases your transfer prospects. Thus, there is already a layer of AA built into the process.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

CCN transfer this year.

Of the 40 in my class, there was only 2 or so URMs. From that, it would seem there isn't any bump and it is just #s based. Take that for what it's worth.

Return to “Transfers”