EA Transfer Thoughts, w/ A Twist

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Murum.aries.attigit

EA Transfer Thoughts, w/ A Twist

Postby Murum.aries.attigit » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Sorry to pose another one of these "what are my chances" questions, but my situation is a bit different, and I'd like some feedback:

Currently attending a T2, no scholly, with a 3.5 GPA fall semester, so maybe top 20%? 3.0 curve. Really wanting to relocate to the D.C. area, so my sights are set on GT and GW. I realize my mediocre numbers alone probably give me a slim chance, but here's my kicker: I've been selected to become a Marine Corps Judge Advocate, so I will be heading to a 10-week Officer Candidate School this summer, if I make it through I'll pin as a 2ndLt in August, and be ready to begin class again in the fall. When I graduate I'll have a guaranteed, high quality job (J.D. required, which I'm sure the admissions people will like). So I'm wondering, how might this play into my admissions decision? Obviously grades are important, but at the end of the day, don't the admissions people only care if you're going to be a blemish on their post-graduation statistics? Do they only admit high performers because they think their performance it will help them get a job after graduation?

I hope this can generate some discussion. I'm very interested to see what you all think.

Thanks.

ben4847

Re: EA Transfer Thoughts, w/ A Twist

Postby ben4847 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Murum.aries.attigit wrote:Sorry to pose another one of these "what are my chances" questions, but my situation is a bit different, and I'd like some feedback:

Currently attending a T2, no scholly, with a 3.5 GPA fall semester, so maybe top 20%? 3.0 curve. Really wanting to relocate to the D.C. area, so my sights are set on GT and GW. I realize my mediocre numbers alone probably give me a slim chance, but here's my kicker: I've been selected to become a Marine Corps Judge Advocate, so I will be heading to a 10-week Officer Candidate School this summer, if I make it through I'll pin as a 2ndLt in August, and be ready to begin class again in the fall. When I graduate I'll have a guaranteed, high quality job (J.D. required, which I'm sure the admissions people will like). So I'm wondering, how might this play into my admissions decision? Obviously grades are important, but at the end of the day, don't the admissions people only care if you're going to be a blemish on their post-graduation statistics? Do they only admit high performers because they think their performance it will help them get a job after graduation?

I hope this can generate some discussion. I'm very interested to see what you all think.

Thanks.

If the plan is to work in the marine JAG, then why transfer schools at all?
Although, if you can get a couple of offers from better schools, maybe you can negotiate some scholarship from your old school.

Murum.aries.attigit

Postby Murum.aries.attigit » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:56 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Murum.aries.attigit wrote:Sorry to pose another one of these "what are my chances" questions, but my situation is a bit different, and I'd like some feedback:

Thanks.

If the plan is to work in the marine JAG, then why transfer schools at all?
Although, if you can get a couple of offers from better schools, maybe you can negotiate some scholarship from your old school.

Negative. I should have mentioned this first, I approached the financial aid office and Dean of Students of my current school, and they essentially said they could not help me or persuade me ($$$) to stay. That doesn't mean I won't ask them again, if I get EA admittance, but I'm not counting on this. I can't say more about the situation without outing myself and my current school.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 am

a 3.5 with a 3.0 curve seems like it should be higher than 20% (you'd have to ask the school to confirm)

even at UT with a 3.3 curve, a 3.5 is already top 1/3 (and UT is known to grade inflate)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 am

Your "twist" is likely to help your transfer application. In my opinion, it should help significantly.

sillyboots

Postby sillyboots » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I would say the "twist" definitely makes the apps worthwhile. I would guess that you'll get in to one of the DC schools, especially since there's nothing wrong with your grades. Good luck to you and congrats on the summer gig!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Came in here to read about how you are like the first ghost to apply to law school or how aliens abducted you and you are going to write about that in your diversity statement. M. Night Sharmalarmalam has really ruined movies and stories for me.

Return to “Transfers”