When to transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jhilly123

When to transfer?

Postby jhilly123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 am

Hi,
So I've been looking around at all of the transfer application start dates for the RD. If they start on March 1st (or earlier) and then end in June/July, should I be rushing to send it all out now? Most of the RD transfer schools won't even look at my application until my first year grades are in (according to their websites, but everyone else is rushing to send things in apparently), and I only have torts right now.

Thanks.

TTRansfer

Re: When to transfer?

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 am

What do you mean you "only have Torts right now"? You only have one grade?

jhilly123

Postby jhilly123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Yes, I only have my torts grade right now. My other core classes (K, Prop, Civ Pro, LRW) are year long and we only get tentative mid-year grades and Crim and Con law are this semester.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I mean, my thought basically is that, even if there's no reason to get stuff done way too early, I'm basically getting everything uploaded to LSAC by the middle of April. I just don't want to have to worry about crap when finals roll around, and I'd much, much rather not have to worry about it while I'm taking exams and stuff. If you have the time now, why not just get stuff in?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I would just write a generic PS statement right now. Since you don't know your 1L gpa, you really don't know what your target schools are. Once you get your grades, you can update your PS to be more school-specific.

It took me probably 15 minutes to fill out each application online. Unless you're applying to every single law school, it shouldn't take too long. It was the PS and getting the LORs that took the most time. I would just start on the PS and start priming professors for LORs.

jhilly123

Postby jhilly123 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 am

Okay thanks. I did fill out the applications on LSAC already, I haven't gotten to writing my PS although I have asked 1 professor to write me a recommendation already. I'll work on getting a second. I just didn't want to feel behind because some schools are rolling admissions for transfers and if they opened March 1st, and people were already applying I didn't want to be late if I submitted in April.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 am

jhilly123 wrote:Yes, I only have my torts grade right now. My other core classes (K, Prop, Civ Pro, LRW) are year long and we only get tentative mid-year grades and Crim and Con law are this semester.

So you have five doctrinal classes and LRRW this semester? That sucks.

Return to “Transfers”