Should I stay or should I go?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I stay or Should I go?

JD/MPA at Syracuse (wouldn't mind working for Deloitte or Booz in DC)
64%
GW EA (would rather work reg. law in DC big law)
14%
W&M (same)
14%
GMU (same)
7%
W&L (same)
No votes

Total votes: 14

TNFSkier16

Should I stay or should I go?

Postby TNFSkier16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I just was accepted into the MPA program at Maxwell (Syracuse). Currently a 1L at Syracuse and ranked top 29%. Also applied to GW EA and W&M. Considering W&L and GMU. ASSUMING, I am accepted into GW, W&M, etc., should I stay or should I go to a higher ranked school?

I want to work in DC in either consulting/public policy or big law.

Coolgrnmen

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:40 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:I just was accepted into the MPA program at Maxwell (Syracuse). Currently a 1L at Syracuse and ranked top 29% top 1/3 or top 30%. Also applied to GW EA and W&M. Considering W&L and GMU. ASSUMING, I am accepted into GW, W&M, etc., should I stay or should I go to a higher ranked school?

I want to work in DC in either consulting/public policy or big law.

IMHO, wait to see where you are accepted...too many hypos.

Also, top 29% sounds like you are trying too hard. Employers expect % increments of 5 or 10.

good luck

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Thx for the advice. Will update when I know more.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:19 pm

I voted for the JD/MPA program at Syracuse because it is the only option to which you have been accepted.

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 pm

alright I'll come back with affirmative data.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:02 am

Top 30% at Syracuse is probably a massive stretch to getting into GW EA. I think you would have to be top 10-15% from Syracuse to even have a chance, TBH.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:42 am

Top 1/3 from syracuse prob woudln't cut it at GW. You need top 15-20% to have a chance. You really need to bust your ass this semester. Push yourself as hard as you can this semester and then see what happens. It can be done! I went from barely top 25% first to top 10% after 1L year after rocking 2nd semester.

The other problem is that even if you get into GW ish schools, OCi at those schools arent particularly friendly to transfers who are non IP students.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 am

Since you want to work in Washington DC in consulting or policy, and not necessarily in a law firm, then Syracuse's JD/MPA seems to be the best choice. (My understanding is that Syracuse's MPA is considered the best in the nation.)

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Yeah that's why I came to Syracuse (other than not getting in anywhere else). I came from consulting and was told by recruiters from Deloitte and maxwell alumns that with my work exp and a jd/mpa I could start somewhere around 100-105k. So if I never transfer and have the potential to make big law I have this to go off of.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:Yeah that's why I came to Syracuse (other than not getting in anywhere else). I came from consulting and was told by recruiters from Deloitte and maxwell alumns that with my work exp and a jd/mpa I could start somewhere around 100-105k. So if I never transfer and have the potential to make big law I have this to go off of.

It sounds like you're one of the few people who is in a good position to get a well-paying job out of Syracuse, so I don't see any reason for you to leave. You're not going to have a better chance at BigLaw from the schools you listed so you might as well do the MPA where you're at.

Return to “Transfers”