Transfer Advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rkl88

Transfer Advice

Postby Rkl88 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 pm

I currently have a 4.0 at a T4 with about a 2.5 curve ( although class ranks do not come out until spring grades are released I am fairly confident I am 1/300). What are my chances at GULC EA and U Chicago EA? I was also considering WUSTL.

kaiser

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Sorry, but I really don't think that U Chicago is accepting a T4 student. If you are #1 in your class, then I'd send the app in just for the hell of it, but I can't imagine they would take transfers from a T4. Just for perspective, I transferred into a T6 with a much bigger transfer class, and almost everyone is from a T1 school, and a few T2's tossed in. Not even a T3 among the 45 or so transfers. Your grades are amazing and you will obviously have many transfer options, but T6 is likely shooting too high. GULC may be possible if, and WUSTL I think is certainly realistic.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:30 am

kaiser wrote:Sorry, but I really don't think that U Chicago is accepting a T4 student. If you are #1 in your class, then I'd send the app in just for the hell of it, but I can't imagine they would take transfers from a T4. Just for perspective, I transferred into a T6 with a much bigger transfer class, and almost everyone is from a T1 school, and a few T2's tossed in. Not even a T3 among the 45 or so transfers. Your grades are amazing and you will obviously have many transfer options, but T6 is likely shooting too high. GULC may be possible if, and WUSTL I think is certainly realistic.

Afraid he's right. You'll definitely get a T1 with those grades, but T6 is a reach, to say the least. I do think it's definitely worth applying--lower T14s especially.

Rkl88

Postby Rkl88 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for the insight. That's kind of what I was thinking.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:14 pm

A girl from a T4 in Texas who was 1/305 was accepted to GULC EA, so that is probably realistic.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:30 pm

I would apply to schools in the 10-20 range with the biggest transfer classes. GULC should be your top priority. It doesn't hurt to apply EA, but its also unlikely to get in as a T4. Typically they take T1 transfers during EA, and then open it up to everyone else during the summer.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Apply to both Chicago ED & Georgetown EA to see what happens. Consider Duke, Penn, Northwestern, NYU, Columbia & Harvard. You can't do better than a 4.0 GPA & a #1 class rank. You should be accepted to at least two of the above, in my opinion.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Apply to both Chicago ED & Georgetown EA to see what happens. Consider Duke, Penn, Northwestern, NYU, Columbia & Harvard. You can't do better than a 4.0 GPA & a #1 class rank. You should be accepted to at least two of the above, in my opinion.

This. TLS is obsessed with USNWR rankings -- but Adcomms don't necessarily think like that. Someone on the committee at a T6 might have a more favorable view of your school, and in that case #1 would be enough to get you a serious look. Several TTT students have also been accepted to HLS in the past, so for a #1 at a TTTT it's worth the app fee IMO.

amarie2013

Postby amarie2013 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:19 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
kaiser wrote:Sorry, but I really don't think that U Chicago is accepting a T4 student. If you are #1 in your class, then I'd send the app in just for the hell of it, but I can't imagine they would take transfers from a T4. Just for perspective, I transferred into a T6 with a much bigger transfer class, and almost everyone is from a T1 school, and a few T2's tossed in. Not even a T3 among the 45 or so transfers. Your grades are amazing and you will obviously have many transfer options, but T6 is likely shooting too high. GULC may be possible if, and WUSTL I think is certainly realistic.

Afraid he's right. You'll definitely get a T1 with those grades, but T6 is a reach, to say the least. I do think it's definitely worth applying--lower T14s especially.

Come to Berkeley! We don't hate on T4 transfers; as long as you prove you are a legit candidate, coming from a T4 won't change that. I was top 3% at a T4, and am now at Berkeley. We also have 6 transfers this year from USF (ranked around the 100's/T3).

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 pm

No reason not to do the GULC and Chicago EA apps (you're not going to get Harvard, so you lose nothing by applying to the binding Chicago program), though Chicago is very unlikely.

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Chicago is ED, not EA. And it is definitely worth the app. I think you're a very strong candidate for GULC EA.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:02 pm

As someone who applied Chicago ED and was flat rejected, I really don't think it's worth it to anyone outside of T1. Even people at T2's with close to 4.0's eventually just got rejected.

I'd say GULC EA is probably worth the application, if it's still open. Same goes for that USC EA program (if you are from/want to work in CA).

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:18 pm

mighttransfer wrote:Chicago is ED, not EA. And it is definitely worth the app. I think you're a very strong candidate for GULC EA.

Unfortunately, the deadline passed yesterday.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:47 am

Blanket the T14 and pick and choose throughout the rest of the T1. Mazal.

Return to “Transfers”