Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ptorsten13
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05 am

Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby ptorsten13 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 am

So, I understand that it is not advisable to go to a school with the expectation that you'll be able to transfer. However, I'm curious as to whether or not a lower LSAT score would prevent you from getting accepted as a transfer even if your 1L grades would make you a good candidate (i.e. top 5-10%). I ask because I've seen some information on the individual law school sites that makes it sound like your GPA/LSAT numbers should be fairly close to the normal range of students that are admitted as 1Ls.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:56 am

Depends upon whether or not you believe what some law schools print regarding their transfer standards.

ptorsten13
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby ptorsten13 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 am

Should I believe it?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 am

Probably varies by law school & by admissions cycle. Some law schools write that transfer applicants need to meet first year admission requirements/standards of their class. Some posters on TLS claim that they transferred successfully without meeting those requirements. My best advice is to apply relying on your first year performance & not worry about your pre-law school numbers.

The short answer to your initial question, therefore, is "no".

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

No.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Even at schools that explicitly state your LSAT matters, I don't think it does. There's just no incentive for the school to care -- transfer LSAT/GPA does not impact their medians, employers never know what your score was, and 1L performance is a much better indicator of LS success.

Anecdotal evidence: HLS says successful transfer applicants typically would have been admitted or waitlisted as a 0L. I was dinged in the first wave of rejections as a 0L, and I suspect many others in my class had similar experiences.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby shock259 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Conventional wisdom says your class rank replaces your LSAT as a predictor of how you will do in law school.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:48 am

shock259 wrote:Conventional wisdom says your class rank replaces your LSAT as a predictor of how you will do in law school.


When has conventional wisdom ever worked in lawl school?

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 am

At most schools, your LSAT and UG transcripts are either of modest relevance or irrelevant altogether for transfer purposes.

However, schools like Stanford do evaluate, among other things like 1L grades and recos, your 0L profile. if you were unlikely to at least get waitlisted as an 0L, your chance of getting in as a transfer is still close to zero. The reason is that so many waitlisted Stanford students - those who came within a hair of getting in as 1L's - do well as 1L's and apply to Stanford as transfers. They have an obvious leg up on a top student from, say, USF whom would not have been admitted as a 1L. Think about the schools a waitlisted Stanford applicant might attend: HY CCN, MVPNBD CG.

But the good news, like I said above, is that most schools don't operate this way. 0L record and test scores are either of modest relevance or do not factor at all.

concurrent fork wrote:Even at schools that explicitly state your LSAT matters, I don't think it does. There's just no incentive for the school to care -- transfer LSAT/GPA does not impact their medians, employers never know what your score was, and 1L performance is a much better indicator of LS success.

Anecdotal evidence: HLS says successful transfer applicants typically would have been admitted or waitlisted as a 0L. I was dinged in the first wave of rejections as a 0L, and I suspect many others in my class had similar experiences.


Harvard probably states this because Stanford does (and actually lives by it), and to keep transfer apps at a minimum. Maybe Harvard really means it but you were just fortunate (or highly exceptional for some reason). There are always a few exceptions to any rule(s).

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby tww909 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:40 am

PDaddy wrote:At most schools, your LSAT and UG transcripts are either of modest relevance or irrelevant altogether for transfer purposes.

However, schools like Stanford do evaluate, among other things like 1L grades and recos, your 0L profile. if you were unlikely to at least get waitlisted as an 0L, your chance of getting in as a transfer is still close to zero. The reason is that so many waitlisted Stanford students - those who came within a hair of getting in as 1L's - do well as 1L's and apply to Stanford as transfers. They have an obvious leg up on a top student from, say, USF whom would not have been admitted as a 1L. Think about the schools a waitlisted Stanford applicant might attend: HY CCN, MVPNBD CG.

But the good news, like I said above, is that most schools don't operate this way. 0L record and test scores are either of modest relevance or do not factor at all.

concurrent fork wrote:Even at schools that explicitly state your LSAT matters, I don't think it does. There's just no incentive for the school to care -- transfer LSAT/GPA does not impact their medians, employers never know what your score was, and 1L performance is a much better indicator of LS success.

Anecdotal evidence: HLS says successful transfer applicants typically would have been admitted or waitlisted as a 0L. I was dinged in the first wave of rejections as a 0L, and I suspect many others in my class had similar experiences.


Harvard probably states this because Stanford does (and actually lives by it), and to keep transfer apps at a minimum. Maybe Harvard really means it but you were just fortunate (or highly exceptional for some reason). There are always a few exceptions to any rule(s).


this is so wrong it's incredible. i don't know where you got this information, but try this on:

i got a 164, went to wisconsin, and go to stanford now. not only was i not waitlisted or near getting in, i didn't even apply.

the remainder of the transfer class shows that this is an absolute myth:

2 CCN
3 MVPB
1 DCNG

3 T20
3 T35
2 T50
1 T2

so a mere 9/15 of the class would apparently not have been admitted in your totally speculative world.

to OP: the answer is unequivocally no.

ptorsten13
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05 am

Re: Does LSAT score impact transfer possibilities?

Postby ptorsten13 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for all the well-reasoned/informed responses.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.