Visiting schools

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Visiting schools

Postby ilovesf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm thinking of applying to NYU and Columbia. I'll be in NYC for spring break and I was thinking of visiting the schools to check them out. Is this a normal thing for transfers applicants to do? Is it the same as visiting schools as a 0L? Did it help you guys make any decisions? Thanks!

kaiser

Re: Visiting schools

Postby kaiser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Not really. The bottom line on transfering is that you do it out of necessity. Its a tool to get better job prospects or perhaps to move closer to home, or the geographic locale you most desire. Its not about the way the building looks, the neighborhood its in, the student groups they have, etc. So a visit serves much less of a purpose than it would have during the initial cycle. I had never visited my new school before I transferred officially, and it wouldn't have made a difference because my transfer was about job prospects first, geographic location second, and everything else in the background.

Of course there are other things to find out such as what the OCI system is like, whether transfers can be on journals, etc. But none of this really requires a visit.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 pm

kaiser wrote:Not really. The bottom line on transfering is that you do it out of necessity. Its a tool to get better job prospects or perhaps to move closer to home, or the geographic locale you most desire. Its not about the way the building looks, the neighborhood its in, the student groups they have, etc. So a visit serves much less of a purpose than it would have during the initial cycle. I had never visited my new school before I transferred officially, and it wouldn't have made a difference because my transfer was about job prospects first, geographic location second, and everything else in the background.

Of course there are other things to find out such as what the OCI system is like, whether transfers can be on journals, etc. But none of this really requires a visit.

+1 no visit necessary. If you get accepted to both, then consider a visit...but otherwise there isn't a point in visiting.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 pm

And not to mention that the chances of getting in as a transfer as much lower than the chances of getting in as a 0L, so I wouldn't get my hopes up in that way.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:34 pm

I concur with everything already said. I had never been to my transfer school until I matriculated and attended the transfer orientation.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm

kaiser wrote:And not to mention that the chances of getting in as a transfer as much lower than the chances of getting in as a 0L, so I wouldn't get my hopes up in that way.

Don't worry, I don't think I have that great of a shot at these schools!

Thanks for the responses guys. I was just wondering if it would make sense because I'll be there anyway, but I'll spend my time doing things that are a bit more fun.

Return to “Transfers”