Transfer - Binding EA at USC or No?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Binding at USC?

Yes
31%
No - Just do non-binding EA
69%

Total votes: 13

Mce252

Transfer - Binding EA at USC or No?

Postby Mce252 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

I am top 2% at a T4 (4.044 gpa) and will be applying to transfer to GW, GULC, USC, and a couple others during regular admissions. If you were in my shoes, knowing the uncertainty in this process for me, would you go binding at USC (to increase chances of getting in) or hold out for the chance at GULC? I have no real preference between the D.C. and Pacific markets. USC is a much smaller school. What would you do?

Re: Transfer - Binding EA at USC or No?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Mce252 wrote:I am top 2% at a T4 (4.044 gpa) and will be applying to transfer to GW, GULC, USC, and a couple others during regular admissions. If you were in my shoes, knowing the uncertainty in this process for me, would you go binding at USC (to increase chances of getting in) or hold out for the chance at GULC? I have no real preference between the D.C. and Pacific markets. USC is a much smaller school. What would you do?

Are you serious? You are shooting way to low from what I have read in the transfer forum. You could ED to Chicago since they only go off first semesters grades...

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I am top 2% at a T4 (4.044 gpa) and will be applying to transfer to GW, GULC, USC, and a couple others during regular admissions. If you were in my shoes, knowing the uncertainty in this process for me, would you go binding at USC (to increase chances of getting in) or hold out for the chance at GULC? I have no real preference between the D.C. and Pacific markets. USC is a much smaller school. What would you do?

Are you serious? You are shooting way to low from what I have read in the transfer forum. You could ED to Chicago since they only go off first semesters grades...

Nah, I've seen rejects at UChi who were top 15 at T1-T2. That doesn't leave much for me -- especially with the 5 - 10 they take EA.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Mce252 wrote:

Nah, I've seen rejects at UChi who were top 15 at T1-T2. That doesn't leave much for me -- especially with the 5 - 10 they take EA.

Over a 4.0 is pretty damn impressive no matter where you go to school

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Mce252 wrote:

Over a 4.0 is pretty damn impressive no matter where you go to school

Thank you. I don't think I'm going to apply to binding admission. I was just considering it because of how small USC's transfer class is.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Unless you are deadset for USC, don't do binding. No reason to unless that is 100% where you want to be.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Unless you are deadset for USC, don't do binding. No reason to unless that is 100% where you want to be.

Hard to argue with this.

I also agree with the poster above who said that you should be considering Chicago ED. Also, send out apps to the entire T14.

GL!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

tough choice.... Most t4 transfers don't do really well unless they are in the top 2-3%. The problem is that it is really risky. If you have even a slight slip, it could put you outside the top 5% and would effectively kill your chances at transferring to a school better than WUSTL.

At schools like WUSTL/UIUC/Emory, transfers don't do well at all in terms of OCI. However, at schools USC and up, transfers seem to do really well at OCI. Tough call. I'm risk adverse, I would do binding at USC. You have too much to lose. If you are sick on 1 exam this semester, you might drop out of the top 5%. If your computer crashes, you might drop otu of the top 5%. There are too many variables. I have a friend who was top 2-3% at a T50 school fuck up and drop to top 15%. He still can't get over his mistake of not applying to GULC ED or Uchicago Binding ED.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Unless you are deadset for USC, don't do binding. No reason to unless that is 100% where you want to be.

Hard to argue with this.

I also agree with the poster above who said that you should be considering Chicago ED. Also, send out apps to the entire T14.

GL!

At a T4, though? Eesh. I don't know. I think I'd just do Chicago RD. I always hear that a lot of people are outright rejected ED.

opX

Postby opX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Personally, if I were you I would go binding USC. I think that the east coast is gettting slammmmed with transfers. not a lot of people know about USC binding option. Get in, and get a job. Get your future started.

Also, personal friend had above 4.0 at T4 and had some trouble in transfering east because it was T4.

this is all anecdotal, but I would just capitalize on the chance to get in and get started moving forward.

opX

Postby opX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 pm

and GL! keep us posted.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 am

After reviewing everything, I made the decision to not apply binding. One of the factors I considered was my slight interest in returning to the Texas market. The number of firms from Texas which interview at Georgetown/GW compared to USC is a lot higher. Further -- I know I didn't mention this in my original post -- my wife works in the nonprofit industry and would be much more comfortable with D.C. as opposed to LA. Plus we could lose the cars and help accommodate some of that high cost of living. Anyway, USC is definitely an option but I just didn't want to throw GULC out the window after seeing quite a few top 2 % T4 transfers get in on the yahoo transfer group.

opX

Postby opX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm

cool man - sounds like you got a solid plan. Are you going RD?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:46 pm

opX wrote:cool man - sounds like you got a solid plan. Are you going RD?

I'm doing EA at USC, GULC, and GW. RD at a few others once May comes around.

Return to “Transfers”