LOR Question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
carbolicsmokeball

LOR Question

Postby carbolicsmokeball » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I've got one strong (new) LOR (from a prof that I interned for and got an A in the class), but some schools require two LORs. Is it OK/common to use an LOR on file with LSAC from my initial admission cycle for a transfer application? Sure, I can get another letter from another professor but I go to a rather large school, and after only 1 semester these professors barely remember my name. So I guess what I'm asking is that is it better to: (1) have a strong, personal, LOR that talks about my undergraduate performance and why I should be admitted to law school, or (2) have a not as strong, cookie-cutter LOR from a professor who barely knows me.

quiver

Re: LOR Question

Postby quiver » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Check the application requirements for each school; many law schools require 2 LOR from law professors when applying as a transfer. If nothing is specified I would still email/call the admissions offices to make sure since it would be a real hassle (and maybe impossible) to scramble for another law professor LOR in the middle of summer when the application timeline is so compressed.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm

carbolicsmokeball wrote:I've got one strong (new) LOR (from a prof that I interned for and got an A in the class), but some schools require two LORs. Is it OK/common to use an LOR on file with LSAC from my initial admission cycle for a transfer application? Sure, I can get another letter from another professor but I go to a rather large school, and after only 1 semester these professors barely remember my name. So I guess what I'm asking is that is it better to: (1) have a strong, personal, LOR that talks about my undergraduate performance and why I should be admitted to law school, or (2) have a not as strong, cookie-cutter LOR from a professor who barely knows me.

both your LORs need to be from law school professors, so your UG stuff won't work. Since you already have one, pick another class that you did very well in last semester (i.e. that you got an A), and schedule an appointment to meet with your prof. That's when you can get to know them. Go over stuff from last semester - mention the things you liked in the class, talk to them generally about what you like in law school, and ask for their advice re: what sort of classes you should take next year and what line or work you might like. ask them about their careers - how did they get into teaching? what did they do before that? did they clerk or work in a firm? etc.

If you really dont know your profs well AT ALL, i would recommend that you just build rapport at the first meeting. try to say hello in the hall way or before/after class, or attend one of the many functions schools have if the prof is presenting something. THEN schedule a second appointment to "ask their advice" about transferring. lay out your goals and ideas, and ask for their input, and what they would do in your shoes. your goal is to make them think that their opinion really matters (even if it doesn't). THEN at the end of your second meeting, ask if they would consider writing a LOR.

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:57 pm

One of my professors just said to give him a draft of what he should say. Other than general info on why I want to transfer (access to more geographic markets, etc), anything else I should include?

Return to “Transfers”