Clerkships and transfers- T14 to HYS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
to_transfer_or_not

New

Clerkships and transfers- T14 to HYS

Post by to_transfer_or_not » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Can any of the HYS transfers on the board speak to how the clerkship process worked out for you.

It seems like a lot of the "off plan" hiring is heavily skewed toward HYS, but it's not clear whether those students who are able to land those clerkships had already established themselves as recommended candidates by the end of their 1L year or not. Do transfers have a shot at any of those positions based on their 2L fall semester?

What about more typical plan hiring, did anyone feel like they got better or worse results than they would have expected? (I know its a hard process to gauge)

This seems like the biggest potential (tangible) advantage that one might get with a T14 -> HYS transfer, so it seemed important to try to get as much info as possible.

dixon02

Bronze

Re: Clerkships and transfers- T14 to HYS

Post by dixon02 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Curious about this as well. From what little I have found on the subject, I know one big detriment is that it is much harder to get solid LORs since you are leaving behind the professors with whom you had relationships and don't have a ton of time to build new ones at your new school. Definitely curious to see if there are any HYS transfers on here willing to comment.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I didn't apply, but at HLS I think only a few transfers landed Art III clerkships. I'm sure there were others like me that didn't apply, but still the results seem pretty brutal. I heard that at least some of the problem was due to more judges going off plan and a lack of communication to transfers about when they needed to apply, so this year's results may have been atypical.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:49 am

2 of the 12ish now-3L transfers at SLS are clerking next year. one is LR/e-board/all around baller, one has top grades and impressed a faculty member who makes it rain. both are doing COA. i don't know most of the other transfers so i can't comment on their process and where/if they applied.

i feel like (as a 2L transfer now at SLS) the greatest challenge is knowing the faculty members who matter from the beginning and making the connections necessary. i don't regret my move at all, but i fully expect my application process to be a serious challenge.

EDIT: i am not sure if either applied off plan, though i believe both judges they are working for hire off plan.

to_transfer_or_not

New

Post by to_transfer_or_not » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the responses. This really makes me question the value of transferring if I make LR. I think I have a shot at all of the firms I am interested in from my current school, so short term job prospects are not particularly relevant.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Posting ITT for no reason other than OP's username.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”