Lateral third tier transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jsmitty015

Lateral third tier transfer?

Postby jsmitty015 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:04 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently a 1L at a regional third tier law school, and want to transfer to the upstate New York area to be closer to my family and because I realized I don't want to stay/practice in the area I'm in now. I am looking at Syracuse and Albany. I decided to attend the school I am at because of scholarships, but my first semester grades were not as great as I would have liked them to be. I have about a 3.0 GPA which puts me in the top half of my class, but only slightly above the 50% mark. I am planning to write a personal statement talking about my ties to the area in hopes that it will help me, but I'm not sure if I should even bother? From what I have read it seems that even to transfer to an even-tiered law school I'd have to be in the top 30% or so? What should I do?

cinephile

Re: Lateral third tier transfer?

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 am

Are you going to lose the scholarship you currently have?

jsmitty015

Postby jsmitty015 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 am

No, I only have to stay in the top half. So as long as I stay where I am now next semester I'll be fine with my scholarships. But I would save the money in living expenses if I could transfer and live with my family, so it would still be worth it if I could get in.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am

The only thing to do is push hard this semester and apply. Doesn't hurt to apply (except for the app fee, the inconvenience of getting recs, etc.); with it only being a lateral transfer and with having significant ties you may be able to sneak in by being outside the top 30%.

jsmitty015

Postby jsmitty015 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 am

Ok great, thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do.

Return to “Transfers”